iPhone Credit Check Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGeek7, Jul 6, 2008.

1. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

So I got to thinking about this today...I have no credit whatsoever, no good or bad - so either way I'd fail the credit check. So if one of my parents comes with me and has the credit check run on their name and social security number are they the ones that will be required to sign up for the plan and purchase the phone?

or will I be able to purchase the phone and put the plan on my name?

sorry if the post seems kinda dumb but I need to know

2. jcosmide macrumors member

I believe you can still do it all under your name, but since you have no credit, you'll have to pay some sort of deposit before-hand.

You can go to an ATT store now and have them run a credit check to see what you'll need to do.

3. mcnieman macrumors member

You can get an account, but with a deposit if you fail the credit check. Otherwise you'd have to get it in your parents name.

4. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I want to make sure I understand correctly...you're saying have them run the credit check on me and then if I do fail, which I probably will, there will probably be a deposit to pay but then everything else would be on my name?

5. Carbonic macrumors regular

Last year I had no credit and had to pay a 500 deposit. I hope I wont have to pay that much this year, I have built some credit.

6. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Yes that is correct, I heard that the deposit is around $500

7. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

If your an existing ATT customer they don't run credit on you again unless your adding a line.

8. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

so for those that fail the credit check...u are basically paying 700 up front! wow that is out of control...put it under your dad's name

9. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I think the highest I heard in the forums is 750.00 but I heard a rumor of 1000 as the max? Man that's crazy! IMO the highest deposit they should charge is the cost of the terminatin fee but ATT has their reasons I suppose.

10. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

ok...so my family already has AT&T for our home phone main line...which makes us existing AT&T customers - would the credit check still be run?

11. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Yea, that is a different system, and since you are starting a new plan and all they will have to..

12. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I think that only applies to cell phone service not regular phone or any other ATT product/service.

13. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

This is really starting to put a damper on things...my parents are hesitant to do the credit check on their names because they don't want it in their names...but I told them I would pay them back for the bill and even if I missed a payment or something the worst that would happen is a termination of service.

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

thank you for this information. are you 100% sure about this though? we are just upgrading an eligible line on our family plan to an iphone, but i am getting my credit ran 3 times this month for more important things. i dont need ATT to lower it by checking a fourth time.

15. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

Well you might want to read the leaked ATT documents in this forum they seemed pretty clear on what customers have a credit check performed for the new iPhone. If in doubt call ATT.

16. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I don't know if this is completely true. They keep your credit info in the system for 90 days. How do i know? I bought a Vu about a 2 months ago and returned it in anticipation for the 3g. I went in last week to do an early credit check for the 3g when they told me it wasn't necessary because my credit stays in the system for 90 days.

17. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I was only speaking if you are an existing ATT Wireless customer with an active account they do not run another credit check on you unless you are adding additional cell lines to your plan. The 90 validity of the credit check was not applicable to their situation but that is true. This is outlined in the leaked ATT documents in this forum.

18. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hopefully my local ATT store will know this information. i plan on going there tomorrow to talk to them about it.

19. cjt3007 macrumors member

cjt3007

I didn't pay a thing

so when I got my iphone, I had no credit... and they said I would have to pay 500 dollar deposit for a normal iphone plan... but you can also run iPhone as a Pay as you Go phone, thats what I did... and there isn't n activation fee to do it either.

20. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

From what I read the iPhone 3g is not available pay as you go.

21. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

That was my understanding as well

22. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I am in the same boat. No bad or good credit. Just none. I called last week to have att run my credit check. $500 deposit in store. , it sucks but it was money they were going to get one way or another.

$500 +$299+Tax.= I better love this thing. :)

23. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

If you pay the $500 is it a non-commitment thing? and what exactly would non-commitment mean if the iPhone is still locked to AT&T?

24. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

Oh i'm sure it will be locked to ATT you just won't have to be under a contract. The non-commitment pricing is 599/699 and is not available at launch from what I read in the ATT docs.

25. icecold0913 macrumors member

I'm on a family plan and I'm iPhone upgrade eligible- can I go to AT&T and activate my new iPhone without having to take one of my parents- since I'm not adding a new line and I plan on paying for the phone myself anyway?