iPhone Data Usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz786, May 22, 2009.

?

Is 6GB/$30 of data worth it with the iphone?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Hellz No

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. abz786 macrumors 6502

Okay guys, here is a question to you all.

How much data do you guys use on an average month?

Here in canada and my self personally i haven't exceeded 1GB.
    Boygeniousreports has a rumor that Rogers will bring back the promo "6gb/$30" data package. They had first realized this when the iPhone3G came out.

What do you guys think? 6GB enough for a user for one month with the iPhone 3G, even if Apple brings out a 3rd gen iphone?

Give your thoughts.

2. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Ha, I use the internet everyday and I never went over o2's 200mb fair use. Now I'm on t-mobile uk with a 1GB cap, not going to come anywhere near it . . .

I don't stream anything though. Just browsing, email, twitter, facebook, IM.

3. genii macrumors newbie

Am also on o2, have never been called up on data charges even though i sometimes tether my iphone and it only costs me £7.50 a month for my data.

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

We only get 5GB with at&t and they call that unlimited. I'd say it isn't too bad.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't say if its a good deal, too expensive or too small of a quota? I think I'm a fairly normal user, and I don't even come close to a gigabyte at the end of the month. A couple of hundred meg maybe if I use it very heavy, usually its around a 100 meg for me.

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

i burn a few gigs every month with mlb at bat 2009 alone.... but i drive in my car listening to baseball a lot.

7. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I'm on Rogers, and I have the 6GB/$30
    Bad idea on my behalf. I use about 200-400MB a month on average.

8. anfield11 macrumors regular

I have the 6GB with Rogers and have never exceeded 400MB. I use it a lot, but don't download much with it, surf, email, radio etc.

Keep in mind that that 6GB is only while in Canada. Rogers charge $30/mb while outside N. America! I was in Portugal recently and my son emailed me two songs totaling 15MB. If I had downloaded them to the phone it would have cost $450.00 Can!!!!!!!! Who even comes up with this sh*t

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I use maybe 200mb a month & my husband about 1G were with at&t, so were good.

10. fratboy macrumors regular

yeah not worth it for me because at my home, my grandparents home, school, work, places i eat ALL have wifi. and i am constanly on it.

i for one am excited about the lower iphone rate plans comming up. i would prolly get the 500mb option if they had it. i think since i have had my iphone in july i have maybe used 1gb

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You get unlimited data on your iPhone. If you get an Air Card then yes, you get capped at 5 GB.

To the OP, I would say, it depends on your overall usage. I for one always consume 3 GB of data on my iPhone. Reason? Well, I hooked it up to my TV, so it ends up being my personal mini-netbook with widescreen TV attached. (I also tether from time to time thru my Mac)

But, if you are sure you are not going to go over 2 GB, then yes, I'd say its fair.

12. fratboy macrumors regular

yeah people have used up to 10GB of data usage with no penalties

13. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I don't know much abour Roger's data plans. So I can't really tell you what my opinion of the best deal is. But, I would consider myself a pretty heavy user and I don't go anywhere near 1GB in a month. I am usually around 200-300MB. I would think that 6GB is more than enough.

14. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. I have the iPhone 3G but recently (unfortunately within 1 month of getting my iphone) was transferred to a location with only EDGE service. I am still paying 30 bucks per month, but my usage is so minimal - at max about 35 mb (and that too only if I make it to a nearby city with 3G service) and usually around 5-6 mb per month. I am really looking forward to the cheaper data plans...

15. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

i use an average 8 GBs a month but i tether a lot via netshare and the new tethering feature in 3.0

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I don't think 6GB for $30 is worth it, considering I currently get "unlimited" for $30. That said, I would gladly drop down to a 6GB ceiling of they dropped down the price to $20 per month.

17. newConvert macrumors regular

Trying to figure this one out myself when I go for the new iPhone... I'm thinking i'll sign up for it (if offered)... you can always downgrade to a cheaper plan...correct?

18. gil.minto macrumors newbie

I'm on O2 Ireland prepay and I've only used 450MB in the 7 months I've had my iPhone. I pay 99c a day for up to 50MB and I've never came close to exceeding that.

I remember when the 3G as announced, everyone was complaining about O2's crappy data allowances and a few weeks later everyone realised it was more than enough.