Iphone Dataplan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FLIphone, Jun 28, 2009.

1. FLIphone macrumors newbie

Do you need the data plan for the iphone? I'd rather not have it and save the money

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you don't get the data plan, you won't be able to activate the phone (unless you jailbreak).

3. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

4. Surely Guest

Surely

What country do you live in? It's impossible to answer that question without knowing that.

5. FLIphone thread starter macrumors newbie

USA

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Then see my answer above.

7. noobinator macrumors 68040

why bother with such a fun toy if you don't want a data plan? get a touch and a simpler cellphone.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Data services are very tightly integrated into the iPhone. I suspect if you don't have a data plan, they will bill you per KB of data transfer you use. So if you accidentally go to maps, safari, the app store, etc. have fun paying the large bills.

And in the US, you need a data plan to activate unless you jailbreak. You might be able to call AT&T and say you are no longer using your iPhone and ask them to remove the data plan but I don't know what they do when they detect it being used again.

9. FLIphone thread starter macrumors newbie

What does jail break mean. Damn I've heard theres so many ways to do it I just cant figure out how

10. goodcow macrumors 6502a

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

AT&T requires a data plan.

If you cancel it and claim not to be using your iPhone, AT&T will put it back on your plan when it detects that you're using your SIM card in the iPhone.

Jailbreaking is hacking the iPhone so that you can use it in ways other than Apple officially allows.

12. FLIphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyway to stop ATT from detecting my phone?

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, don't put your SIM card in it.

14. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

What's up with all you cheap people not wanting the data plan for the iPhone? That's practically 50% of the iPhone experince if not more.... Sheesh!

15. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

I suppose if you just use it for email and maybe the occasional web page, it would end up being cheaper without the plan. You'd have to be really careful though. Within the first few hours that I had my phone, I had already downloaded about 16 MB of web pages and app updates. That's about $160 right there. :)

16. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

This is absolutely correct, after spending a total of 3 horus on the phone with two CSRs. If you get it turned off, they will turn it back on to pay per use automatically ($1 per 100 KB). They can only remove charges once. It is impossible for CSRs to turn off data or block it on an iPhone, even if you convince them to. I posted a thread just a minute ago about my experience with this.

And to those who always have to chime in about why you would ever want a data plan turned off, think about it, many people are in different situations and have their reasons.

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Isn't it clearly stated that a data plan is required for the iPhone? Every package you can buy for the iPhone comes with the data plan and you cannot remove it unless you call and argue. Its a data-centric device. Don't like that? Get an iPod.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't get your point. AT&T requires a data plan, which is clearly stated when you get the iPhone. I understand your situation and your reasons, but that doesn't change that fact.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

The data plan costs $1 per day (or less in months with 31 days).

If that is out of your price range, then the iPhone is not for you.

People need to start living within their means.

20. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

No Data Plan on Wife's 3gs

First, I would not have an iPhone without a Data Plan, but wanted to share what happen to us. We upgraded her 2g (original phone with $20 data plan) and my 3g to the new 3gs iphones. They were mailed to us so I registered them myself via iTunes. My 3gs (from 3g) had no problem. However, her 2g did not upgrade the data plan to the $30 per month. It just dropped the data plan. So she had no data plan. What happened was she would get a error every time she tried to use data (mail, stocks, weather etc) which said did not have a network data plan. I did not notice this for a while because when at home we are on the Wifi Network and I was not with her when she was having problems away from home. She does not really use data as much as I do.

Anyway, I had a iPhone with NO Data Plan and it would not allow any data activity. Also, when I logged in to check her phone it showed the new phone model (black 3gs 16gb (even though it is a 32gb)) without a data plan.

While talking to AT&T they added the data plan and I was good to go.

21. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

It wasn't required up until the 3GS. With the 3G you could turn it off legally if you paid full price, and with the 2.5G you could turn it off whenever. I know this since I was able to turn off my data plan just fine with no problems after talking to a CSR about it, and AT&T workers.

22. farmboy1 macrumors newbie

farmboy1

I thought at&t was comming out with different options of data plans

23. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Yeah they have different data plans. Unlimited Data without text, or unlimited data with text. Your choice, but DATA is required per the LEGAL contract you signed.

24. FLIphone thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard they want to make it more affordable any idea when this is happening.

25. Surely Guest

Surely

It already is affordable.