iphone dead... any ideas?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bpdlujan, Jan 3, 2010.

1. bpdlujan macrumors newbie

so my iphone is dead. thought it was the battery, replaced that, no help. if it will charge it will only go up to about 70% then last no more than 2 hours. got worse to the point it won't charge, tried to hook up for recovery mode, but had no response when connected to the computer. tried it on the wall charger and it shows the proper "connect to itunes" screen. would buy a new one, but AT&T won't let me upgrade before march. it's a 3G.

Thanks for your help.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call Apple and see if your phone was still under warranty. If it was, kick yourself, because you shouldn't jump into conclusions (like replacing battery) without calling the manufacturer first.

BTW, your warranty is voided... you can perform an out of warranty repair at Apple, but that costs $199. Just save up and wait till March, although by then, I would not suggest you to buy an iPhone, too close to Apple Dev Conference (when they normally release revised version of the iPhone).

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^^
    I think you meant out of warranty replacement.

BTW, I've wondered if Apple considers this an out of warranty replacement when someone makes a hardware change like replacing a battery or if the phone is out of warranty due to the time owned (and not due to water damage and the other things they mention on Apple's website).

4. doctorscott macrumors newbie

Have you tried troubleshooting it? Try to contact apple support they have ways to troubleshoot your unit.

DrScott

5. bpdlujan thread starter macrumors newbie

the phone is out of warranty, so easy with the kick yourself comments. and maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions (like assuming this research hasn't been done) before asking the question. i did go into the store and check the warranty status because in the past they have been awesome about troubleshooting/replacing under warranty. it is in fact out of warranty according to the information the guy showed me. at that point i figured what the hell, it's broke and isn't going to work, it's not going to get replaced at apple, it is now a paperweight. no reason to not try.

if you have an idea of what the problem might be, your help is appreciated. if you just want to criticize, please refrain.

thank you.