iPhone deception; part 1. YouTube

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crashoran, Jun 17, 2009.

1. crashoran macrumors newbie

2. KSUWizard macrumors member

Pretty sure if you look hard enough at the commercial it will say "Screen Images Simulated", just like it says on all TV ads.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Yah duh welcome to the world of advertising.

Do you dry your sweater with the Sham Wow too?

4. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

lol, ok. first, thats the 3GS, pay attention to what your looking at. And second, its an ad, what do you expect...

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't think I've ever boughten a Big Mac that looked as good as the billboard made it seem.

6. crashoran thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

One thing to note is YouTube quality on the iPhone SIGNIFICANTLY improves if you're connected via WiFi rather than 3G. Maybe not if the source video is bad quality, but try it with an HD video.

8. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

He knows that. But what he is saying is that the ad shows WiFi quality video on the 3G network. I see what he is trying to say here.

9. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

wow, i dont want to sound like a hypocrite trolling around on macrumors, but it is late... but GET A LIFE, who the **** cares, its advertising.

Are you going to sue apple for false advertising lol? im pretty sure every advertisement ever made makes the product look better than the end result...

Youll also not its a completely different video, the ad is a 16:9 fills the whole screen, dog is smaller, compared to your 4:3 dog is zoomed in pic...

10. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Wait...Are you telling me that my PC isn't a 40 y/o bald guy? Then who the crap is in my living room!?

11. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

yes i do all the time and i use oxi clean to clean my iphone. i also use a snuggie to cover myself while i look for billy mays ads on youtube on my iphone but the quality of his beard isnt as good as it is in fallacy photoshopped images

12. tiguk macrumors 6502

In the site's legal section? There are about 50 pages of it... knock yourself out.

13. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the world of advertising!

I hope there isn't a part 2.:rolleyes:

14. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

that pic on the right is bogus, ive never had a youtube vid look that sh*tty!!!! the level of 3G would make a big diff too, on one side of town i can do a speed test and hit 900kbs while on the other i hit 1900!

and wouldnt u think att would make sure apple corp, the maker of the glorious 3GS would be one of the first to have the 7.23G rather than that dorks neighborhood who made that comparison

15. someguy9 macrumors newbie

someguy9

seriously who's watching youtube on their iphone

16. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

while at work i use it for.... Funny montages, top gear clips, bo burnham, music vids, miley cirus? no, but all the others

17. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

18. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Did you post this exact same thing a few months ago under a different username?

19. crashoran thread starter macrumors newbie

Do me a favor and launch YouTube to play "Aquatic dog".

20. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Part 2

Part 2: My phone doesn't have MMS! ;)

Opening a can of worms here!:D

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Advertising like that certainly wouldn't be allowed in this country, even with a disclaimer. One of the phone companies here claimed to have the most 3G coverage, with small print saying "WCDMA coverage". Another carrier (that uses EVDO, and has more coverage) successfully challenged the ad because it gave the wrong impression, even though by the small print it was technically accurate.

The Apple ad also gives the wrong impression.

22. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Thanks for that, I haven't laughed that hard in quite some time. Seriously, its advertising. Um, duh? Do you believe all the ads you see? Do you really think there is a Trix rabbit? Or that the Pringles guy actually exists? If you didn't know this about advertising, I guess you are the most gullible person in existence because my 5 year old sister even knows ads are fake.

Edit: And it looks like MacRumors has yet another member who joined just to post anti-apple stuff, being as this was your FIRST post here. What are you expecting from an Apple oriented site?

23. crashoran thread starter macrumors newbie

No, link? Was it the same video?

24. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Well both AT&T and Verizon both claim to have the biggest 3G network. I wouldn't be surprised if they share towers to save money.

25. sootie macrumors member

you have to have bluetooth enabled and it has to be 9:42am
    jk:D
    and i dont think that he is complaining i think that he just wants to know how to make it look this way..:cool:

im no expert but i think that the iphone downloads youtube vids in different qualities not strictly because of whether or not your on wifi and 3g but because of your download speed at the time like if or if you aren't above 1000 kb/s because sometimes i have a low wifi signal and im below 1000 kb/s and it will dwld the crappy quality vid and one time i had downloaded the better quality over 3g (i assume i was over or at 1000 kb/s)