iPhone Developer forum expansion proposal

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by firewood, Jul 17, 2012.

1. firewood macrumors 604

The iPhone/iPad Programming forum here often turns up fairly high in a Google search for many types of iOS dev questions.

But the forum here doesn't have a "Business, Legal, and Marketing" or "App Store" sub-forum, which is among the most popular portion of other iOS dev forums. And which might increase participation here if it were available. Which might come this way giving that other dev forums are less stable, or even (currently) dead.

This site also doesn't have a developer "newbie" sub-forum, as Apple's dev forum does have, which (1) takes a lot of (dumb?) repeat questions out of the main dev forums, thus making both more useful, and (2) is probably even more appropriate here, as it can be used by iPhone users and newbies who haven't (yet) even signed up for Apple's official dev program, or know about it.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not a bad idea except legal. I would never want people to wander around here thinking this is a place for sound legal advice.

3. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

I often see advice given in the Apple developer forums regarding legal matters.

That advice is "ask your lawyer".

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Apples developer forum doesn't have a "newbie" sub-forum.

It does have a "getting started" sub-forum. In the IOS forums .

5. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

Apple would of course pick a more polite and professional term for "newbie". As probably would the powers-that-be here.

As long as whatever forum title is used strongly suggests for the newbies to hit that forum first.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Might I ask why you don't peruse the ADC Dev forums ? You can discuss stuff there that is under NDA.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'm for it.

arn

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Bear in mind that "newbies" may not have paid for a subscription while they're still learning.

Edit: If I'd read the first post more completely then I'd have noticed that this has already been mentioned :)

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well now. Had I read it too I wouldn't have made my post. What threw me off was the term "newbie" since I'm very familiar with the Apple Dev forums.

They can tend to be bland.

But arn please don't start letting people post obvious very NDA stuff. It's bad enough as is. MacRumors shouldn't turn into a replacement for the official Dev forums.

:eek:

10. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

Many developers peruse more than one forum.

Each forum seems to attract different groups of people, each with differing levels of expertise and interests to answer questions at different levels, etc. The currently dead sdk forum seemed to have more people willing to discuss iOS app business issues and their personal experiences regarding that, etc. than Apple's.

NDA stuff should only be discussed in certain designated areas of Apple's official forums. That probably needs to go in an FAQ and sticky. (Good idea, I'll add it to the current one...)

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then everything is good and the law should be left out of it. Then again, if the owner of the site wants to allow armchair lawyers to give free and possibly crappy advice then who am I to argue?

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't think it's our job to moderate NDA stuff. There is way too much work if we have to start looking into Apple's NDAs and making sure none of that gets posted in MR. Besides, devs have signed the NDA, not we. If they want to break NDA and risk losing their dev account, then it's their problem. This is MacRumors after all, so it's not like we are afraid of leaking stuff ;)

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

A Marketing / Legal / Business issue forum would do very little to encourage NDA-breaking.

I'm very familiar with the iphonedevsdk forum that they are talking about, and it had a lot to do with the marketing/promotional side of apps... none of which tends to be under Apple NDA.

I also don't see a problem grouping legal questions under that. Obviously for legal issues, a lawyer is the way to go. But there's a range of things that can be talked about that are worthy discussion for hobbyists, that a lawyer may be overkill. ex. "Can I name my side-project game Angry Dogs?"

arn

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Most developers I've worked with tend to skew towards the "intelligent" side. Whle the internet certainly brings out the dregs, I don't a forum would see too many complicated legal questions that would obviously require professional interpretation.

15. SteveDev. macrumors newbie

I'm a developer of apps and was a daily visitor of iphonedevsdk for their business and marketing sections. I've searched the internet to find a replacement since the site has been suspended last week, but I didn't find any forum like it.

So I would also really like MacRumors to fill the gap Iphonedevsdk left behind.

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Here it is:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

Go post! :)

arn