iPhone + Digital AV Adapter = AppleTV?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSMBP, Mar 3, 2011.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That Digital AV Adapter announced for the iPad is compatible with the iPhone 4.
    Does that turn the iPhone 4 is a portable Apple TV in a sense?

The cable uses HDMI and displays 720 out. And once developers take advantage of it (i.e. Netflix), you have a basic Apple TV right?

Granted, there is no remote & the cable is $40. But, it would be great to go to someone's house & just use your phone to output HD home movies or a show on Netflix.

I'm not familiar with iPhone's limitations on video out, so that's why I wanted a discussion on this.

Thanks!

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Maybe? It seems like it should work, but, like the guy asking about using the 4 as desktop, it just doesn't really seem practical.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You'll have a basic Apple TV in the sense that in iOS 4.3 due out next friday, Apple will allow you to stream all of your media from your computer to your iOS device using iTunes Home Sharing wile on your home wifi (this is basically how the new Apple TV works), all that will be missing is the UI to navigate.

So this will make in a sense your iPod touch, iPhone and iPad into a portable Apple TV using either the new AV Adapter or the old Composite Cable, but if you want 720p output, you have to use the new AV Adapter.

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

not quite Apple TV but a good alternative if you have movies in your library and possibly a netflix account...Apple TV allows you to stream from your library.... with Composite or component cables you'd be able to watch anything that's on your phone on your television

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Someone on Twitter told me that the cable won't display the screen of the iPhone 4 - meaning it would only work with Apple-enabled video-out apps. In other words, it would depend on whether Apple allows Netflix to access the video-out API.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

correct, only the iPad 2 will mirror everything that is on the iPad's screen onto the television, but the iPhone 4/iPod touch (4th generation) and first iPad will only display video out from either Apple's iPod.app or Apps enabled to display video out (just like the current composite/component cables). The only difference between this Adapter and the Component Cable is that now it does 720p video out.

7. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Good to hear.

This would be good for light/casual movie watchers. For example, every now & then I want to watch The Office on Netflix. Currently, I am only able to on my iOS device & my Mac (unless I buy a separate device for my TV).

But with the AV adapter, I can just plug my iPhone in. It's just good since if you're on the go, you usually have your phone (just throw cables in your bag), as opposed to say the family AppleTV.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Still somewhat unfortunate. It would be handy to be able to display the entire iPhone screen on an HD display - or on a computer monitor, for that matter. That said, it is possible that the iOS 4.3 update will enable the "mirror" feature on iPhone 4, assuming there isn't an inherent hardware limitation.

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

Why did it take apple so long to release this kind of cable

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

So i can watch videos from the camera roll?

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

the latest software will show whats on the screen as far as TV shows and movies...it works with netflix as well...some games don't support tv out

12. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

photo slide shows yes I'm not sure about video

13. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I will be anxious to hear how this actually works in the real world when released. Sounds like it should be sweet, I would love to be able to hook up an IPhone 4 to a tv and watch a movie or tv show.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have the VGA adapter for my iPad, which also works on the iPhone 4.
    It'll display video from the iPod app (haven't tried Netflix) thru the VGA cable as long as it isn't a HDCP-protected movie (and most if not all from the iTunes store are, but not home-ripped videos). I believe VGA-out on the iPhone is downscaled to 640x480, but I'll have to double check.

My movies will play nicely on the 20" NEC monitor I have at work. :)

And the iCab browser will send the screen images thru the video out as well, so I can see the web page mirrored on the monitor as well - though it does slow the app down noticeably. Interestingly, Citrix for the iPad will also output thru the VGA adapter but doesn't suffer from any slowdown at all.

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Yah that's not what was I was asking about. The iPad 2 supports screen mirroring. In other words, it will display the homescreen and any app launched. Apparently the iPhone 4 does not support screen mirroring. I don't know whether that is a hardware limitation or some sort of software lock.

16. shelbymayer macrumors regular

The video out cable I purchased (griffin) had horrible video quality on my 47" tv...not sure if that is the case for all video out cables...but if they fixed that then it would work well!

I didn't see it mentioned but Netflix already supports video out (has for a while which is why I purchased the cable)

With the horrible quality and a $75 gift certificate I received to amazon on christmas I bit the bullet and bought the new apple tv! (great video/audio quality and the remote is nice...although I just use my iphone now as the remote)

17. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Yep, I just picked this adapter up at Target and will try using DisplayOut to play games and mirror my iPhone screens through HDMI. Hopefully it works because my composite cables work flawlessly in mirroring my iPhone 4 screens.

18. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I will be interested to hear how the new Digital AV adapter works for you with your phone. If I can use it to watch tv using my IPhone, I will be happy!

19. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Well, I can tell you that it works like a charm! Who needs the iPad 2 now when you can get HD quality screen mirroring from your iPhone 4 using this little Apple adapter! I am still on 4.2.1 and loving this! You just need DisplayOut which I purchased on the Cydia store.

20. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Very cool. Please fill me in on DisplayOut. Is it an app or what?
    Thx!

21. Che Castro macrumors 603

So can you watch videos from your camera roll?

22. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I did find the DisplayOut, and I do see you have to jailbreak your device. Hopefully 4.3 eliminates that need, and just using the Digital AV adapter works as advertised.

23. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Possibly, but I would think this is a big part of Apple marketing the fact that mirroring only works with all apps, videos, screens, etc. with the Ipad 2 due to the advanced hardware/cpu/gpu it is using. The marketing makes it seem like you would have to upgrade to an ipad 2 and obviously the iphone 5 when it comes out to take advantage of this feature. The truth is that it works fine if you JB and get the DisplayOut app from what I can tell. I was reading ibooks, checking out my CNN app, NY Times app and played 2 rounds of Asphalt 5 without any issues. The screens looked incredibly sharp and there was no noticeable lag or refresh rate issues. So far I am really happy with my iphone 4 and this Digital AV Adapter. Well worth it! :D

24. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Yes, and you do not need to Jb your device for it to work. I watched a home movie from my camera roll... it was definitely 720P from what I could tell. I was very impressed with the video quality and audio coming through HDMI.

25. calvy macrumors 65816

I have an iPad 2 plus an iPhone 4 and this hdmi adapter. I tried Netflix on both devices and I think Netflix quality is better on my ipad2. Also the iPad mirrors it's display on the tv for all apps. But it doesn't fill my HDTV screen. There are black bars on the sides. iPhone only does video out for video capable apps.