iPhone disappointingly buggy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PecanEater, Sep 3, 2008.

?

Does the Iphone interface meet your expectations from Apple

1. Disappointed, expected fewer glitches

92 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. Meets my expectations based on previous Apple products

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The best Apple has done

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I'm a fairly loyal Apple customer and have been for years. I bought a iPhone 3g last week (my first iPhone). I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in, what seems to me, a glitchy interface. I'm not talking about issues with AT&T service (which I do have) or about features or functions that aren't available (I can wait), I'm talking about stalled scrolling in the address book that forces me to restart and the numerous other issues which readers of this forum should be familiar. I understand that this is a new technology but Apple has always sold it self as a company that provides seamless, user friendly interfaces - "it just works". I feel that the iPhone is not there. There are plenty of things I love and enjoy but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Anyone else? Do you think the iPhone software is 1) Not up to Apple standards? 2) Meets expectations? 3) Exceeded expectations?

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

2.0.x has been pretty buggy for me, but it does seem to be better now for some reason, even though I have not done anything to the phone except add a lot of winterboard themes.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Yes, the iPhone/iPod 2.0 is incredibly slow, laggy and unresponsive. Pre-2.0 software was MUCH faster.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Leopard is no walk in the park either. The Airs have had numerous issues. It seems a lot of their new stuff is being put on schedules that demand consumers to be beta testers. 22 year Apple user and I feel sad.:mad:

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

6. speeddevil45678 macrumors member

I was wondering when the first iPhone came out, before it ever reached 1.14, was it just as buggy as 2.0??

7. pj rage macrumors 6502

Unless someone has had consistently poor experiences with Apple, I can't imagine anyone answering anything other than the first option, that they wanted less bugs.

8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

It is actually what people expected not wanted. Every thing else I have gotten from Apple has had it's glitches so I didn't expect the new phone to be any different. As such I chose option 2.

9. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I agree that everyone wants fewer bugs but I specifically asked what was expected based on past experience with Apple products. I expected more.

I have a good friend who has never owned an apple product despite my many recommendations. He purchased an iPhone 3G about a month before me. After a week or two he told me that given Apples reputation he was surprised and a bit disappointed in the number of bugs and glitches he was experiencing. I was a bit dismissive and suggested that he was expecting too much. Now that I own one, I've had the exact same experience.

I certainly wasn't expecting kill, stun, and teleport features, so don't take this as a rant. I feel that an objective assessment of this product based on Apple's history and the expectations that Apple fosters leaves me disappointed. I look forward to an update or two that focus on improving the existing software rather than rushing out untested new features.

10. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Yes - very disappointed, especially wrt lack of Bluetooth connection to my car. OK we all knew that Apple cripples the BT stack because of DRM fears (stupid IMO) but at least with 1.1.2 upwards it worked with cars. 2.0.0 upwards just doesn't. Carelessness seems to have overcome proper regression testing.

Apple have always prided themselves on their "it just works" reputation, and I have to say that my newly acquired iMac lives up to that - my newly acquired iPhone 3G just doesn't.

If 2.1 doesn't sort this particular issue (of high importance to me) then I'll be putting my O2 SIM back into my HTC Tytn II permanently and there'll be another iPhone 3G on eBay.

11. pj rage macrumors 6502

Well then, yeah, based on all of the apple fan boys out there who jump up and down screaming that apple is the best company on earth, I did expect more.

But, realistically, I don't care who the company is or what their past reputation is. This phone is too buggy. Period.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Based on my history with Apple, anytime they release a product that contains technology new to them, it's a buggy product.

iPhone 1.0 was buggy. By 1.1.4, it was virtually rock-solid.

iPhone 2.0 is buggy. This is Apple's first try at third-party apps, 3G, and push technology on the iPhone. I have little doubt after a succession of future updates, it'll be about as rock solid at 1.1.4 was.

My first Apple notebook was the last generation PowerBook with the new hi-res screen. Guess what? The hi-res screen had issues for many people.

My next two Apple notebooks (first gen MBP and first gen MB) were both Apple's first attempts with Intel technology, and both had some fairly major issues (compared to today's versions of those products).

The generation of iPods with the new iPod interface were slow and clunky (until Apple released updates to fix that issue).

Seems to me like Apple's history indicates that major new versions of just about everything have issues. :confused:

What matters to me is a company's track record for FIXING the issues, and with the iPhone 1.0, Apple pretty much set the standard for how that should be done. If they tweak 2.0 down to near perfection like they did with 1.0, I'll be happy. If not, I'll sell this on eBay because as buggy as the iPhone 2.0 might be to some, there's about a million people willing to pay top dollar to try it.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My iPhone has been pretty much bug free. I'm running 2.0.2 (5C1) and am very happy with it.

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Buggy for some...maybe. Especially, if those "some" are recent converts...:D

However, I love mine!

16. ginguar macrumors regular

Me too, yes it has a few issues, of course I'd like them fixed but i'm still very happy with my iPhone and even with the very few issues my phone has, I still prefer 2.0.x to 1.1.4 given i love the app store.

17. Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    I had the original iPhone running 1.14 and it worked flawlessly! Scrolling was perfect. Now that I'm using 2.? the scrolling outight sucks...it stalls, hesitates, and the typing is just an excercise in frustration.

I'm not a happy Apple customer. They need to fix these problems yesterday. The software sux.

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

Out of curiosity, did you have the original iPhone before Apple fixed all of 1.0 bugs?

19. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

I think even Apple itself realizes its putting out crap products.
    That's why "snow leopard" really means "leopard which we should have released but couldn't get our act together in time to"

That being said, I came from XP land so constantly rebooting as part of the "normal" experience was not foreign to me.
    About the ONLY computer I never had to reboot was the original Mac1984...but there was no hard disk there anyways...

20. pj rage macrumors 6502

I know this is getting off topic, but why did you have to reboot your XP machine so often? I do use windows but I'm certainly no huge advocate, and I'll openly admit that every windows version before XP is a piece of crap, but I haven't had any problems with XP in a long long long time. My desktop (running XP) at home hasn't been turned off, or restarted in over a year, and even then it wasn't because it was acting up, and my laptop I never ever restart due to problems, only when I turn it off to travel with it. I wasn't aware that anyone was still having any big issues with XP?

21. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

After more reading and talking to a few owners of the 1stGen iPhones, I'm hopeful and confident that a new 2.0 update will give the same improvements experienced over the 1.0 to 1.1.4 updates. However, my point about Apple eroding their "it just works" reputation still stands. Its a bit disappointing.

22. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I am so dissapointed with the new iPhone and software that I've temporarily retired my iphone as my main phone. I use it as an iPod Touch right now and use a blackberry curve for phone and messaging.

After 2 updates that didn't do squat for me, I've given up waiting and moved on. I am keeping it in hopes that one day Apple will get their act together, fix the problems so the phone is reliable.

23. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Well, the ONLY version of XP that I have had little problems with has been XP pro 64. The regular 32-bit version is way too prone to being taken over by adware, viruses and trojans. I use one XP UMPC and that thing is as buggy as a tropical rain forest. What can you do? I moved most all of the Windows machines that I manage over to Linux because you can't trust what people are going to do to them...and the language tools for non-english speakers tend to be superior on linux.

However, I still PREFER mac because it is so easy to use and I tend to personally be more productive with it.

24. pj rage macrumors 6502

Fair enough. I'm running xp64 on my desktop and 32bit xp on my laptop. I've not had trouble with either, but I'm smart about staying away from adware prone crap, as well as virus/trojan/etc. Again, I'm not arguing which anyone should use, I'm just trying to inform myself as to the problems that people have with xp, because as far as I was concerned, windows finally "got it right" with the latest xp revs.

25. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Based on my experiences with apple, any of their X.0 releases always have a few glitches here an there but they always get fixed.

Compared to my experience with Windows CE and Mobile, the nice thing is that bugs actually do get fixed with Apple in a reasonable amount of time. There are still battery issues, major bugs, crashes etc. in my older WinMo devices that never got fixed and now never will. Some of these problems are still found in the current WinMo releases.

Also compared to even the current generation of WinMo phones, the iPhone is far superior.