iPhone Early Cancellation 3GS AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evangw, Jul 20, 2009.

1. evangw macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck ordering an iPhone 3GS then doing an early cancellation of the device. I would like to upgrade my 2G, but I'm leaving the US in three months, and won't keep my AT&T contract. Do I really just have to pay the $175 ETF fee (plus three months of service)? So this is way cheaper than paying $600 for an unsubidized phone?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes of course.

3. jacobgaul macrumors regular

math skills arent too good huh?

take base plan + iphone data x 3 + state taxes + (cost of phone+tax) = $xx.xx

vs.

full retail = $599+tax

you decide.

if your leaving the US why dont u just open a line get the phone for 199/299 and just not pay the bill? lol. or r u coming back?

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

In your case it probably would be cheaper. Since you're going to be paying for an iPhone plan either way.

It'll be:
    $199-299 for the iPhone
    $175 for the ETF
    $18 for the upgrade cost (I think?)

the price of 3 months service is moot since you'll pay it whether you upgrade or not.

That's how you watch your credit rating go down the tubes.

Also he's paying for the service whether he upgrades or not so the service costs (i.e. voice plan, data plan etc) are moot.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

where are you going?

that might be a factor as well. and have you checked into what it will cost you to get it there? r if it's factory unlocked where you are going'

6. evangw thread starter macrumors regular

No, I'll have to look into that. Maybe getting a subsidized phone will be cheaper there. I'll be going to Switzerland, so I know I can get a SIM card that will work with the iPhone (if I get one on the official carrier). Unlocking it from AT&T and keeping track of not updating my firmware won't be a problem for me.

Thanks for the help Beamer et al. Didn't know about the upgrade cost.

7. guyverzero macrumors member

actually I believe if you're moving out of the country and you can provide them proof of that they will waive the ETF. You will have to look it up in their terms of agreement, but I'd say I'm 80% sure of that.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That's exactly what I was going to say.

9. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I concur.

10. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

in that case, get like 5 iPhones.... sell 4 on eBay! just sold my 3GS for $975 on there :D

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well good luck getting the money. Sorry but the odds are are that winning bid is most likely from a scam with that stolen account or a stolen credit card.

Make sure you follow all of the rules and ship only to a PayPal confirmed Address using only FexEx or UPS with signature confirmation required. Do not use USPS. You should also contact eBay and PayPal to confirm the status of the winning bidder before you ship. :eek:

The $975 is just too high when anyone can purchase a No Commitment iPhone for $699.00 directly from Apple.

Dave

12. outz macrumors 6502

it really just depends where you live. they sell all day @ $950 unlocked in the philippines.

13. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm curious, would you mind posting a link to where you got that? Is it the 1st Gen? 3G? 3GS?

14. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

PayPal payment is pending, even called they said everything looks legit, eBayer has good rating and feedback, address is verified (Germany).

but yea def not sending till everything has cleared.

heres the list of coutries and prices of the bids, only did a 24hr auction

EDIT: sorry $935+$40 shipping, i just keep looking at the paypal of 975, but selling price was $935.

Attached Files:

15. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

I do not believe that to be true. If you are going out of the country, how is that ATT business. My brother is in the military and all ATT will do is pause his account.

16. SBG macrumors newbie

Ive sold 2 16gb gs, and 1 32gb gs on ebay and all I had to pay for the bill was $320 for the phone plus $175 plus $39.99 first months bill. I didn't have to pay for 3 months service. I paid for 1 month. I called customer service they removed $30 for the data, $20 for text messaging and waived the $36 activation. Plus they added my fan account discount. I might continue selling them

17. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Did you have to wait one month each time before canceling? Or did you cancel as soon as you got the phone?

18. SBG macrumors newbie

waited exactly 30 days and then called customer service and told them that the rep told me they added my fan account and that since i had a fan it would waive my activation charge. Also the day I purchased the phones I added the imei numbers of some cheap phones i had laying around and removed every feature available. To bring the total to 39.99

19. h12345 macrumors newbie

Where did you add the imei numbers? Also--how did you get them to take of the $30 internet charge?

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

That's a bit different, I assume the OP is moving to Switzerland. Your brother will most likely return to the US.

21. SBG macrumors newbie

I just activated the iphone and called the same day and told them that I would be using a different phone on this line. They then asked for the imei number that I would be using. After providing them with the number I then told them I dont need the internet or text messaging plan so they removed it and gave me a $50 credit. $20 for text and $30 for internet.

22. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Well, I assume he needs the phone to work for the three remaining months he's going to live in the country. :rolleyes:

Try re-reading the OP.

23. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Just because it's not answering his question doesn't mean it's not helpful information.

24. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Then why did you quote my post?

25. evangw thread starter macrumors regular

Bought the 32 GB phone ($327 with tax) and a two-year contract... will post back about my (un)success with trying to get the ETF lowered/eliminated due to leaving the country.

It seems that pausing the account will work for some people; the service rep asked if I was military (I'm not). I didn't ask much more, since pausing the account isn't especially useful for me personally, but it's possible it could work for students spending a semester abroad or some-such.

He didn't know anything about canceling the contract and then waiving the ETF fee due to leaving the country for military or personal reasons.