iphone eating credit! Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davadada, Aug 17, 2009.

1. davadada macrumors newbie

hey,

Just wondering if someone can help me out on this one.

bought an iphone 2G recently, second hand. Have jailbroken and updated firmware to 3.0 and of course its also unlocked.

I use a Pay-as-you-go sim, in germany with 02. Last night i bought €30 credit, managed to send a couple of SMS (literally 2) and now this morning the credit is gone! I didnt even use the top-up card to call!

The previous owner of the phone, i believe, also used a Pay-as-you-go sim but they never mentioned this credit draining problem. Mind you, they only had firmware 1.1.4 installed so im wondering if the 3.0 firmware has new settings which I need to change in order to save my credit vanishing!?

Is there something i'm doing wrong, does 3.0 automatically try to connect to the internet all the time, im quite lost! how can i preserve the money i put on my phone?

I'm quite new to the whole iphone game,

if someone could help :confused:

2. davadada thread starter macrumors newbie

p.s-

the internet works fine via wi-fi when i dont have credit, so wondering what my credit getting eaten by?

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Since you are jailbroken, go into Cydia and install SBSettings. In SBSettings, turn off edge. This will allow the iPhone to still make calls but will turn off data for any apps that use it while the phone is sleeping.

When the iPhone sleeps, WiFi turns off after so long and this is why you are getting charged. Some of the apps still access the internet when sleeping such as email and push as well as notifications.

4. superflush macrumors 6502a

+1 for this. I had an Italian SIM card when I lived in Italy, and I went to Spain for about a week. I only used the internet when I had WiFi and the WiFi signal showed. Sure enough, I was actually using EDGE part of the time, and my Italian SIM actually went into a negative balance. This was when I was on 1.0.2 (before they made an option to have "turn off data when roaming" as a setting).

Needless to say SBSettings is an excellent tool, and you can turn of EDGE from that. If you are not on an unlimited data plan, and only plan to use EDGE occasionally, then you should keep it toggled off most of the time, and then just toggle it on when you want to use it.

5. superflush macrumors 6502a

I'm sure its possible for you to go online and check out what exactly used up your credit, right? If so, I'd do that, just to see if it was internet use or something else.

6. davadada thread starter macrumors newbie

ok,

i just realised im on 3.0.1 firmware. Which doesn't support sbsettings so i hear. Am i right?

Does this mean there is no way i can use my pay-as-you-go sim with 3.0.1 firmware?

Do i then have to downgrade to 3.0 in order to stop this credit eating problem?

7. superflush macrumors 6502a

No, you can use SBSettings with 3.0.1 ... I'm using it right now.

8. davadada thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help so far

right, so checked my account on 02. It says i didnt used any credit, but its definitely gone. It does show that throughout the night every 15-20 mins the phone is doing something, and thats about 25 times throughout the nnight. So i'm thinking its definitely the internet. But i'm always connected to wifi here at home and can't imagine why its doing this. So its probably the apps like you said.
    Still, installed SBsettings on this but still can't locate it! Any ideas where i can find Sbsettings?

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Swipe your finger across the top of the screen and SBSettings will drop down. This allows you to open it when any app is open at anytime.

10. superflush macrumors 6502a

Ha, O2 online said it was doing something, but didn't specify if it was data/internet/edge ..??

See thats the thing though, that I've learned, that even if you are connected to WiFi, you could actually be using edge or 3g.

Oh, just swipe your finger along the top:
    http://theappleblog.com/2009/06/22/sbsettings-why-i-still-jailbreak-with-3-0/

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Again, WiFi shuts off after so long after the iPhone is sleeping. It will not turn on again till the iPhone is used meaning, you turn it on to do something. You will notice that when you turn it on after it's been sleeping for say an hour, there is no WiFi indicator at the top until after a few seconds, once it connects to your WiFi again.

12. superflush macrumors 6502a

Btw, did Apple get rid of the ability to go into Network settings and change your APN info???
    Which, would mean that using SBSettings is the only way to actually turn off the mobile provider's internet (in the home country of the iPhone) ??

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes they did with 3.0. They want to discourage people from using non approved sims in the iPhone.

I used something called the iPhone Configuration Utility that allows you to make different profiles on your phone. You can have one for an AT&T GoPhone sim, one for T-Mobile and then switch between them on the phone.

14. davadada thread starter macrumors newbie

no its still possible to change the APN settings but seriously, as i said before, i am still a newbie to the iphone so you will have to bear with me. Do i need ti change the apn settings?

the 02 online didn't say what it was using, nope.

I've found SB settings, what a strange place to put them. i noticed 3g was on, Edge was off.

Is there anything else i should keep switched off if i want to retain my phone credit?! I just want to make calls, SMS, and use wifi. I dont even know if i can use edge or 3g, i haven't tried using the internet any other way than through the wifi. AS i have a 2g phone i didn't think it was possible any other way.
    as i said before, i am still a newbie to the iphone so you will have to bear with me.
    as i said before, i am still a newbie to the iphone so you will have to bear with me.
    as i said before, i am still a newbie to the iphone so you will have to bear with me. :)

the more help the better. :D

15. superflush macrumors 6502a

Just turn off edge & 3g

16. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Actually, you don't need to turn off 3G. The iPhone can use 3G network to make calls.

Edit...nevermind it's a 2G iPhone.

17. superflush macrumors 6502a

Hm, that wasn't nice of them. That makes it harder to get on the internet with different SIMs. I took a look in Cydia, and there are some APN editing packages. Additionally, for some carriers they have 'carrier bundles' which looks like it takes care of it for you.

Whats the deal with the iPhone Configuration Utility. Thats just on the desktop. And that is something that Apple put out. Seems really odd, since they are trying to block you from doing this on the iPhone itself.

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Apple giveth....yet they forget when they take away. :D

19. davadada thread starter macrumors newbie

so now i can go and buy another pay-as-you-go card and safetly use my phone without feeling terrorized?

Are you sure?

20. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, as long as you know the correct APN settings.

21. davadada thread starter macrumors newbie

what, what are APN settings? How would i find the right ones, what are the wrong ones? Explain if you wouldn't mind

22. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Why not call to find out where your credit went. Most carriers dont give a **** if ure using unsupported phones as you did choose their network in the end. :D

23. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Access Point Name (APN): wap.cingular
    Access Point User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Access Point Password: CINGULAR1

These are what you would use for AT&T. Each carrier has their own including T-Mobile. A search will find them.

24. superflush macrumors 6502a

Ha, I don't think you were terrorized. I think you just used up th credit by your iPhone accessing the internet to check your mail. Just keep the edge/3g off and you'll be fine.
    If you're happy with O2, I'd just stick with them. It might not be worth the hassle of switching.

25. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If you go to this link on your iPhone:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/#_Custom

There are ready made APN cinfigurations. All you do is select your carrier, it fills in the APN details and then uploads them to the iPhone.