iPhone Edge - top speaker broken

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhysicsMan, Aug 15, 2008.

1. PhysicsMan macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I woke up today to a phone call, and to my surprise i couldn't hear them and they could not hear me. Later that day i used the speakerphone, and bam, it works, both parties talking. Tonight I have tested this and its not a reception issue, my iPhone does not make any noise out the top speaker and the mic doesn't listen when not in speaker mode; however, in speaker phone mode, I can both talk and listen.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did Apple do?

Thanks

PS love the forums.

2. View macrumors regular

That sounds almost like it's a software problem.
    Have you tried restart the phone?
    if it still doesn't work, go to an Apple store, i'm sure they will replace it (if it's still under warranty)

3. PhysicsMan thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, I thought just the same thing and I've just now finished restoring the software, and its still broken. Thanks though.

4. holmen09 macrumors newbie

I would try to get a can of pressurized air and spray out the headphone jack, I have seen other forums using this solution and it works for some.

5. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

this sounds strange, but try plugging in your earphones and pulling them out a few times... just in and out, in and out (get your mind out of the gutter!), and try it then. i had the same problem, and somehow the iphone got stuck on sending audio out via the earphones, even when they weren't plugged in.

strange.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Connect your headphone, make a call, listen to music for a while, pause or stop the music, home screen, then put your iPhone in standby, unplug the headphones.

Try again without using the headphones the previous procedure.

If it fails, Restore and repeat. If it fails again call Apple. Hope it helps.

7. PhysicsMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked like a charm, and it saved me a trip to the apple store.

Thank you!