Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I'd say let's meet in the middle. I agree that not all retro games would likely see a massive paying audience, but some of the old Nintendo classics would certainly play very well on a Smartphone and I could see people pay for their copy of classic Mario.

It's of course entirely possible that I misread the situation, but I do think there'd be a market for at least some of it.

My crazy conspiracy is that Apple and Nintendo have been in talks for several years on the matter. Whether it be regarding preventing emulators on the App Store, or business partnerships. Maybe Apple wanted to buy Nintendo or exclusive rights to their games on iOS and stay in their good graces.

The sudden allowing of emulators tells me that something went south and that there is no more deal to be had. I just don’t believe that the EU decision or worldwide legal pressure alone pressured Apple into allowing emulators.

This all culminates in Nintendo releasing retro first-party titles on iOS and Android before the end of 2025. You heard it here first.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I have no interest in playing games on a phone but great to see retro arch is already on the tvOS store and provenance is coming

I’ve been using provenance for awhile but it’s a pain to resign once a week and saves get lost

What I’d really love to see is openemu do a tvOS app

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
i might have to learn how to get the game. I only need a few of the classics and I’d be set.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
This all culminates in Nintendo releasing retro first-party titles on iOS and Android before the end of 2025. You heard it here first.

Needs to be tvOS

Playing console (or to my mind any) games on a phone sucks

I want to sit back on the couch and play

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
OpenEmu was an absolutely beautiful piece of software

OpenEmu is the gold standard of emulator front end software

I really really wish for them to do a tvOS app

There was a time when a Mac mini was always my set top box but that’s long since been supplanted by Apple tv

Reactions: PsykX

maruyama

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
Need to go to settings > frame throttle and enable "sync to exact content framerate" or it will run too fast.
That worked like a charm, thank you! It didn’t just fix the speed; the audio is now perfect as well.

James Pond 2: Robocod is just like I remember it. 😊

Reactions: pdoherty

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Needs to be tvOS

Playing console (or to my mind any) games on a phone sucks

I want to sit back on the couch and play
Agreed, but given ATV’s sad history with gaming, somehow it wouldn’t shock me if they omitted it.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
MAME please :)

Edit: Actually wouldn't mind OpenEMU which works really well on a Mac to find its way to iOS. I love the fact that you can download "cores" to enable gameplay from different retro consoles/etc.
Yes I need MAME! OpenEMU with a MAME Core loaded will do. I wonder why Retro Arch for iOS can't load a MAME core?

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
It's a shame the RetroArch devs have no intention of supporting network shares, rather than having to manage uploading ROMs to my Apple TV (where storage space is not huge).

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
MAME please :)

Edit: Actually wouldn't mind OpenEMU which works really well on a Mac to find its way to iOS. I love the fact that you can download "cores" to enable gameplay from different retro consoles/etc.

MAME is coming but the latest news is Apple rejected it for spam. 🙄

• Disagree
Reactions: icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.