iPhone equivalent phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stormbringer, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Stormbringer macrumors regular

I will buy a new phone in a month of 3-6, and of course I'm looking forward to the next-gen iPhone. But, I want to be good informed of the competition...

What's important for me, is that the phone shouldn't have any mechanism, so slide-phones like the Palm Pré are out of the competition.

What do we have:

Huawei/T-Mobile G3
    + Design
    + big capacitive screen
    + 5MP camera
    + Android
    - definite specs?

HTC Magic/T-Mobile G2
    + Android OS

SonyEricsson Idou
    + 12MP camera with xenon and LED
    + opensource Symbian
    - definite specs?

Samsung OmniaHD
    + 3.7" OLED capacitive screen
    + 8MP camera with 720p video recording at 24fps
    - WinMo
    (- Samsung i8910 will be identical except the OS which would be Symbian)

Samsung i7500
    + Android
    + 5MP camera
    - 3.2" AMOLED

LG KM900 Arena
    + Small size
    + Multi-touch input
    + 5MP camera

HTC Touch HD
    + 3.8" screen
    + 5MP camera
    - resistive screen
    - big
    - WinMo 6.1

Toshiba TG01
    + good battery
    + 4.1" screen
    - resistive screen
    - big
    - WinMo 6.1

Next-gen iPhone
    + Mac OS
    + Mac design and quality
    + Multi-touch
    + App Store
    + magnetometer
    - Camera?

So my question is, what other phones could be a good competitor for the iPhone in my case? And/or did I forget some strong points or disadvantages of some phones?

2. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

3. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

:eek:;)

4. kits macrumors member

Well, I can think of only 3 other phones that are missing from your list. Nokia 5800 and HTC Diamond 2, HTC Touch HD. I tried 5800 and frankly, it's not worth to be on your list :). HTC Diamond 2 will be great if it comes with AT&T 3G. HTC Touch HD is there out now with AT&T 3G if you are ready to order from ebay Australia.

I have almost similar requirements but for me a numeric slider is fine. I hate the QWERTY landscape sliders. Also, there are certain features I would like to have in my phone. Full MMS capability, Smart dialing, and decent camera/video functions.

Nokia N-series phone have most functions I like but their call logs are terrible and they have no smart dialing out the box or is there a free solution for it.

Hoping Omnia HD or Idou won't ignore Smart dialing which seems to be lacking on most S60 phones with the exception of E-series.

Samsung S8300 and Sony Ericsson W995 look close to perfect for my needs if they come with AT&T 3G. So will Nokia N86 if Nokia resolves their call logs issue and add smart dialing.

5. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

You haven't listed my favourite of the "iPhone-killers". Personally I really like the look of the HTC Touch Diamond2. If it's good and works out cheaper than an iPhone, I would be happy getting that. I mean, I can live with Windows Mobile if it's slightly cheaper...

6. kits macrumors member

I am looking at Diamond 2 as well. I personally hated Windows Mobile the first few days when I had Xperia X1. But once I found out about XDA-Developers forum, WinMo became addictive and fun. I hope Diamond comes out with AT&T 3G.

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

IF the rumors/facts hold, the new iPhone will have a 3.2mp camera at the minimum possible a 5mp.
    Also there is a slim chance a native app while appear to allow video capture.
    So, Apple will finally catch up to `05 phone tech by mid `09 :eek:
    As noted already, Nokia does have nice phones and there is always the Blackberry Storm?

8. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Don't understand why HTC seems to ignore the at&T market :confused:
    I didn't mind the Touch Pro aka AT&T Fuze all that much :cool:

9. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys!

Smart dialing is great, but that consider an other phone if it lacks this feature. And as I said, I don't want any slide mechanism, so the S8300 and W995 won't do either. Besides that, they have small displays.

HTC could be interesting though. But I don't see much difference between the Diamond 2 and Touch HD? The last one has a bigger screen and I like the looks more... And I rather look to a yet unreleased phone since it could take half a year before I can buy one...

And I don't have much problems with the providers, I live in the Netherlands, and the only phone that's stuck with one provider is the iPhone (with T-Mobile). You can get any other phone anywhere. Mostly phones are released in the US earlier though...

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

great thread... bad timing

I would wait until June to make this kind of thread

there's no point in comparing things when what you are comparing isn't even out yet

now if this was a iphone 3G vs competition thread that would be another story

11. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think that matters much since the concept of the iPhone will stay the same, and so will the competitors. So wether iPhone 3 will be revolutionary or a big disappointment, I will compare it with the same phones as I do now.

EDIT:
    Sorry, I forgot to react to the BlackBerry Storm: it hasn't got Wifi, so it's off the list immediately.

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

umm its april right now, the new iphone is scheduled for june / july

trust me there will be new competitors

this is why i say this thread is useless if you are not planing on buying RIGHT NOW

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That Sony Ericsson Idou is one bad mama jama. I love Sony Ericsson.

14. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

^ Agree. I like Sony Ericsson too.

For what it's worth my boyfriend just upgraded from an older touch HTC and it was absolutely horrible in pretty much every way, but I'm guessing the new ones are better.

I played around on a friend's new Omnia 2 weeks ago. It lags more than my iPhone and the scrolling's awkward as f- but there's not that much wrong with it (well, the touch screen seemed incredibly unresponsive to me, but I think that was probably the way the owner had set it up. My brother's Samsung Tocco notices when I touch it). The camera seemed to take pretty great photos (or at least they looked fantastic on the screen) on the other hand, I avoid Samsungs simply because I haven't known anyone have one without it breaking.

15. randomusername macrumors 6502

I say that the HTC Magic/G2 is the closest phone to the iPhone. While the feature set on the iPhone will be a little better than the G2 with 3.0, right now they're about the same. Both only have landscape QWERTY keyboards, they're the second phone of their OS. They have great browsers (is the G2's is like the G1).

16. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

HTC Magic = G2? I didn't know that. It surely looks way better than the G1!

For the rest, I also like SonyEricsson and dislike Samsung. Bad build quality (of what I've seen) and if not WinMo the Samsung OS is rubbish. I just hope the Idou will have a responsive screen and neat OS.

So I think we have about everything now in the list?
    All other brands except Apple announce their products months before the release. Of course when the iPhone is released it's easier to compare, but you can't say we cannot look to the competition right now. So yes, in June there probably be (very few) new competitors, but that doesn't mean we can forget all the phones that are known now.

17. ZunePod macrumors regular

Get the new iPhone.

You don't need a 12MP camera, it looks ugly anyway. Even if you did you could just go out to the shops and get one for £90

The new iphone should have many features, and the AppStore is the thing that tipped it for me.

18. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I do think the App Store is what tips it. I have an OMG I<3 IPHONE moment about once a month because I find something new and cool to do with it. Otherwise touch screens phones are essentially just your every day phone with a touch screen instead of buttons.

But saying that the OP might not use the App Store, I know a few people with iPhones/touches who barely, if ever, touch it.

19. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I think I'm 90% sure I'll get the iPhone, but I just want to know the competitors and their strong and weak points compared to the iPhone. The OS and minimalistic design only make it a winner to me.

About the 12MP camera... No you don't really need it, but it's not bad to have. The xenon flash AND LED is more important to me, since I caught myself using that as a light far more often than I thought I would.

20. kits macrumors member

Are you used to smart dialing, and other ease calling/texting functionality found in other smart phones? I am over a week now with my iPhone3G and I seem to have liked it for everything else but for calling and texting.

I have long commutes to work and loved the easy of calling with smart dialing. Well, I know you can still manage with iPhone but it's not the same experience as easy calling and texting. I also wish iPhone has the "Text Messaging" button somewhere on top on the contact page. I save lot of contact information like e-mails, multiple phones numbers and for most of my common contacts I have to scroll down to click Texting button. Little things like these are frustrating and might take time to get used to it (Compromise).

I'll probably hang in with my iPhone until the new iPhone and some of the above mentioned phones come out and move on to something that has the well thought basic calling functions. To me Idou and HTC Touch Diamond 2 look attractive among touch screens on paper as I also prefer slightly narrower size phones. Else, I will go back to old style phones like W995 or N86.

21. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Will the htc magic be available on at+t? Thats a very nice looking fone. I will wait until june/july to decide on which fone to buy

22. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

I'm used to smart dialling yes, but I can live without it...

Oh, and there's the T-Mobile G3 by Huawei:

[​IMG]

Looking good (and like the iPhone)!

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I smell lawsuit. If they don't change the form factor, I smell a HUGE lawsuit.

24. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

25. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

They say that it should be released in June (after the G2's release in May)...

Speaking about lawsuit, how're things with the Pré's multi-touch?