iPhone firmware 2.0 in "a few days"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghall, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I just read this at Apple Insider:

Thoughts?

Linky!

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

is that a wish list, or a stated rumor?? :rolleyes:

From what KellyTM says.. it looks like it's going to be 1.1.4 ... but i guess they could change the numbers before they release it ....

3. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

i would assume that if it was a major update then they would go with a 1.2.0 instead of a 2.0. As far as I know they have never had a 2.0.0 update to any software. 2.0.0 software would most likely be put into a completely new iPhone however it would still be labeled as 1.0.0. Just my own thoughts here. :eek:

4. poke4christ macrumors member

If this is true, I have to say I'm not surprised about restricting iChat to wifi. No real reason to do this (as it is very low traffic communication) other than to make the carriers happy about not eating into messaging profits.

5. toxicbomber macrumors 6502a

It IS a major update! With iTunes Wifi Music store you can now download apps AND movies, tv shows, podcasts AND rentals! AND NOW THEY HAVE VIDEO RECORDING IN CAMERA! :D YOU CAN SEND THE VIDEO TO .MAC WEB GALLERY AND YOUTUBE! ITS SO OVERWHELMING! PLEASE APPLE.. RELEASE IT! D:

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you're stating this like it's fact .... :confused:

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I think he's a little overexcited. :p

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

iChat over wifi is worthless.

If a sidekick can do it years ago without any problems, ATT better not cry about bandwidth / data usage with an exclusive phone from Apple...

I think Apple will slap the sense back into their heads.... fingers crossed.

9. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

i think he's EXTREMELY overexcited. i mean, don't get me wrong... i'd love to see all those things. but i'm sure there would be way more buzz and speculation if all those features were imminent imo.

10. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

i'm sure it has nothing to do with data usage or bandwidth. AT&T is going "but if you put iChat on it people won't text as much wah wah wah."

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

well I'm going to take this back now .. seeing as KellyTM is a lier ....
    But i still doubt that it's going to be 2.0

12. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

A call to Orange France customer service gave some confirmations, some answers, some expected, others less so ...

-- Update 2 (this would be the correct name, not 1.1.4), will bring new features:
    * Support for Flash, files with extension .Docx
    * Adding a mini file manager
    * Adding a "clipboard" to manage copied and pasted text, and send files to the clipboard via email or bluetooth
    * iClips Management (is this the name of apps distributed via iTunes?)
    * A more complete bluetooth manager
    * iChat accessible only via wifi

-- But it would not bring:
    * Management of MMS
    * Video capture
    * Editing of office files

It is almost impossible to know if this is reliable information from an employee of Orange who carried out this survey ... .
    But one thing is certain, the survey was commissioned by Apple ... And the updating of firmwire will be out in a few days ...
    http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-02-18/#7797

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

true.... I think I remember reading something about that, how even though people who have sidekicks on AIM use the same amount of text messages due to the fact that not everyone has that capability and can only communicate via text.

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

ichat over wifi only? that sucks! why cant i IM like i do from my razr over EDGE?

15. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

that makes sense. i mean - i think its silly, i just can't see any other reason why it hasn't been implemented yet. like an earlier poster said its low traffic communication and it obviously works fine on edge (i used to have a sidekick3 and AIM worked fine). i can only see it being an issue of AT&T being worried it will decrease text message usage. (and im not sure how apple's residual deal works with AT&T - getting a cut of everyone's iPhone monthy bills - but apple may have some interest in keeping people sending text messages as well)

16. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

didn't your razr also count every IM as a text?

17. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Current AT&T phones that have Yahoo or AOL IM Apps on them do count as SMS/Text messages. I don't see why AT&T or Apple would restrict having the App on the iPhone. I bet it will come after the SDK is released. That is unless they have been included in some the major companies that recieved the SDK early. They have to have something to show the public when it is released. It just hasn't been a priority up to now.

18. aanndrew macrumors member

its either going to be out
    tomorow or the last tuesday of febuary

i think they :apple: should release next firmware update tomorow
    annonce SDK release SDK on the 26th with no little than 10 free apps
    10 charged apps .

you guys say updates are done on a tuesday so thats where a get tuesday from....

19. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

iChat over wifi = me not upgrading. What a joke you people at Apple are. Wifi isnt THAT accessible that you can limit your chat client like that.

Is everything $$ to you? Aww will it cut into ATTs profits? Give me a break. Do something FOR the customer for a change.

20. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I think we should feel lucky that we're getting IM at all (assuming this rumor is true). I for one perfer iChat over wifi than no iChat at all.

21. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

If I have access to wifi, chances are, ill just use a laptop. 99% of the time, im not near anything wifi, and when I am, its at my house.

Not happy about this. This is just lazy and greedy.

I cant WAIT for another phone like the iphone to come out. Then maybe Apple will actually TRY.

22. justinwayne macrumors newbie

apollo in the installer app jailbreak your phone and get it

23. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

PSPs firmware went from 1.0->1.5->1.51->1.52->2.0 (then quite a few more I stopped caring at that point.) So firmwares have jumped to 2.0 in the past in major platforms

24. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

What do you call the Voyager?

25. erandall38 macrumors 6502

A piece of ****.
    Have you tried the voyager? Its supposed "touch" screen is nothing like the iPhone's touch at all. I have two friends with voyagers and have played around quite a bit on them. All three of us agree the "touch" is horrible and rather just have a button interface only. In all reality it is not really a touch device when compared to the iPhone.Not to mention the batter life is absolutely horrid!

The voyager may have a few things the iPhone does not feature wise. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that is a real disappointment to a large majority is MMS. On the other hand you look at the disadvantages of the voyager to the iPhone that tend to appeal to a large majority: battery life, size, user interface and its ease of use, which are all severely lacking on the Voyager.

Yes the Voyager has 3G but it is absolutely crap, both the browser (In reality you cant even call that a browser) as well as the 3G speed. We have used the voyager in LA ,Riverside CA, Orange County, San Diego, New York city, and Syracuse. In every situation the iPhone's browser loaded just as fast or faster than the voyager on edge. I know there are plenty of arguments of 3G vs. Edge. Yes the 3G network IS faster, but when a inefficient browser is using it compared to a very efficient (Safari) browser using it, it is very possible for edge to work faster. Obviously this can depend on your area, but I feel testing it in multiple parts of southern California and on the east coast as well, it a decent indicator.

The other downplay you could have with iPhone is the AT&T network but I feel this is different everywhere. I live in southern California and travel all over much of it often. I had AT&T first, then Verizon, then AT&T again (for iPhone). The first experience with AT&T was horrible, Verizon was even worse (Mainly because of customer service), then going back to AT&T was absolutely heaven which I feel is largely because the customer service for iPhone users is put ahead of other AT&T subscribers. Also I feel that whatever antenna is used on the iPhone must be a cut above, becase I find my self often having service/edge while other AT&T customers, and non-At&t customers, not having service. Now imagine what an efficient browser could do with 3G!

People are sadly mistaken if they think the Voyager is anything like the iPhone.
    That all said I also hope for a true iPhone challenger to soon come to help Apple kick it in gear a bit more for future versions, not that they haven't already, but competition is always good!