iPhone Firmware 2.0: It's just a disaster

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amblinman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Amblinman macrumors regular

Buggy as hell, lags, and their MobileMe PUSH is less and less pushy. Battery life is absolutely atrocious.

After having the phone for a few days I am terribly disappointed in Apple for releasing something that wasn't ready. All the excitement over the AppStore is gone due to the realization that you can have the greatest applications on the planet, but if the device isn't stable, it doesn't matter. Now we're left clinging to the hope that a fix is on the way in another update.

Perhaps it's time to just go back to BlackBerry. The bottom line on those devices vs. iPhone: they just work.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

i upgraded to 2.0 and love the firmware. have been using the apps. u must have received a lemon,

4. stevepeck macrumors member

5. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Hmm, are you using build 5A347 of the iPhone 2.0 software? That solved many of the lag issues for me including the keyboard lag.

MobileMe Push is working fine for me, even was on build 5A345 of the software but I turn off Push anyway and use Fetch instead. Battery life can be improved I agree but I've found turning off WiFi, Location Services and 3G when I don't need it helps.

6. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

iPhone 2.0 is definitely buggy for most people (me included) but personally my experience of it is not that bad. Until iphone 2.1 comes out all I do to make problems go away is to restart the iPhone and it'll be stable. I really hope 2.1 will fix everything for everyone but for me I am happy as it is. :)

7. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I did the unofficial 2.0 update like alot of people ended up doing. Mine is pretty laggy in certain situations. I thought the official one was a little different in size and perhaps more intended for 1st Gen iphones? I can't seem to find the link for it though.

8. Jimmy Justice macrumors member

I guess iphone is not meant for everyone, So quit complaining and return the iphone, ;)

9. tdevers macrumors regular

After hearing all of troubles with 2.0, I may just wait for its successor before I update.

I suffered through the early versions of the Verizon v3c/m firmware. That was terrible.

10. baseballcp2002 macrumors member

2.0 is definitely still got some bugs in it...but what did you expect?? Its a brand new software, apple will get it right with software updates

11. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

I've had no bugs on mine. There is a thread out there that the push is incredibly great. and there's an article showing that the battery is better than most 3G phones for talk time. dunno what ur getting at

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I have an iPhone 3G and my brother has the original iPhone. We both find battery life atrocious. He started with 1/4 battery life this morning and didn't use the phone or anything and the battery is dead. My 3G phone is pretty much the same. I basically gave it light use yesterday with maybe 2-3 phone calls and checking emails a few times. The battery was dead after basically do not much of anything with the phone during the day.

Input lag is horrible on 2.0 as well. No more can I tap on something and get instant response. Now, for instance, I tap on a person's name and have to wait a couple seconds for the tap to register. Very irritating.

13. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

Not true. Just last week, I lost all my email messages on my BB pearl due to the darn memory leak it suffers from.

Yes, there are some slight bugs, but 2.0 works well for me.

14. rayward macrumors 65816

I haven't had any problems with 2.0 (on a 2G iPhone). Some of the third party apps are a little buggy, but those are third party apps, not Apple's.

15. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

One crash

....since I upgraded Saturday, July 12th and even that was a third party app (Cube Runner), which is a fun game, by the way.

I have had no other issues, knock on wood:D

Jude

16. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

2.0 is incredibly buggy. Coming from a first generation iPhone and firmware 1.1.4, to the iPhone 3g is like night and day in some cases. I've had random restarts when launching apps/annoying lag with the keyboard/button presses not being registered/etc'. This behavior has been illustrated across 3 different iPhones in my family, and we have all restored to the 5A347 firmware. 2.0.1 can't come soon enough!

17. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yeah, I have to say I've had a few more stability issues since the official 2.0 upgrade than I did on 1.14. The lag is barely noticable, but it is there, and the applications that have the most problems are the firmware ones - SMS and answering calls.

It's not got to the point of rendering the phone unusable by any means, but it's somewhat irritating, especially given 2.0 had an enormous period of beta testing and really should not have had to change much from 1.14 when not running an App since no background processes are allowed.

Phazer

18. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

The AT&T rep set my phone up last night and said it had been updated, but when I looked at the build after reading this thread it says 5A345. Hope do I update the build?

19. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

The build on Apple's servers is 5A347, slightly newer that what was on shipping iPhone 3G's which is 5A345. You need to do a full Restore in iTunes to grab the newer firmware. Make sure everything is backed up first as a Restore completely wipes the iPhone.

20. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Good to know. Thanks!

21. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Mines quite laggy on menu selection esp in contacts as others have noted. Also a few apps just go back to the home screen when loading.

Can anyone remember how long it took for the first firmware update of the old iphone from release?

Also how many firmware releases where there prior to 2.0?

Will we still be holding our breath for 2.1 in 6 months?

Cheers

22. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I mean a couple bugs are okay, but they annoaunced the 2.0 software on March 6 and probably had iPhone 3G's weeks before it was announced on June 10, so they have had alot of time to get things right. They knew they were launching the phone in alot of countries and yet there are still shortages. I mean Apple is great and all and I love the iPhone, but they could have done a little bit better job.

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'll agree my Touch seems slightly slower, but its worth it for all these kick ass applications.

24. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I'm running 5a347 on a gen 1 iPhone and suddenly the battery has been really sucking down.

I did absolutely nothing with my iPhone yesterday. I charge at night, put it in my pocket and go to work. I usually have at least 70% + doing normal email checking, a couple of phone calls. Basic light usage.

I got home last night and the battery was less than 20%. I was surprised, because the thing never left my pocket yesterday. I was busy all day and never had the time to use it.

I've had one nasty crash when I was in the airport on day1 after upgrading. I had to hard reset the phone because it was just dead.

Overall, certain parts of the 2.0 firmware are great, but this battery thing has me worried. I only upgraded one of my phones, it might stay that way until the next update arrives.

25. memesmith macrumors regular

No idea what you are all talking about. My 2.0 firmware on a first gen phone seems fine. I even had the 1,2-2 early update on for a while and that was working too. Yes, my battery runs out more quickly, but only because I'm playing Super Monkey Ball and Crash Bandicoot all my spare time!