Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XxHOVESKOxX

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Last time I browse MR under the influence. I thought that was a GTA screenshot...

That's what I thought the same when I saw the screen shot.......lol
That's great to hear that the are putting street view in the google maps......hopefully it won't crash a lot on my phone :D

Freelancer

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2005
Paris
Great news to see iPhone os evolve, but there are some things more useful to me, like copy/paste, or my subscribed calendar i would like to see also on my iPhone, or being able to type a number for SMS instead of only choosing from contacts, or the ability to hide some built-in apps, like weather, stock, youtube or itunes store...

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
I wonder if it will be implemented like the Tmobile G1 android phone, where once it is in street view you can move the phone around physically and the view will correspond with your movement. For example you could stand in one spot and hold the phone up and move your body in 360 degrees, and as you do that you get a 360 degree view of the location. If your still not understanding my explanation following the link, and at the end of the video you'll see it.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1803302901/bctid1812186010

Not likely.

The UI term is called "Pointing"

This requires a electronic compass IC (preferably 3D) and not just an accelerometer. The component isn't entirely cheap, but i was extremely shocked to see the 3G iPhone lacking something like this. If economies of scale can get the cost down to $9 for an electronic LED top, it could probably go into an iphone.

electronic compass + gps + accelerometer would make things like augmented reality applications quite a .. uh.. reality. Something like "catch the egg" would be much more immersive.

Even though the G1 has one of these things, its going to take developers about a year to even figure out what this can even mean for an application. So, meanwhile, apple will have plenty of time to catch up anyway.

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Who gives a funk about Google Street View? Why is Apple adding in stuff that people don't really care about? Why don't they give us what we want? What we need? Copy/Paste! Video Camera! Flash for Safari! More SMS Features like Forwarding, Re-Sending, Mass-Add Contacts! Picture Messaging! To-Do List/Notes with Sync! Why???????????????? Why is Apple being so incredibly difficult? Even the new Blackberry Storm Touch Phone can easily Copy/Paste. Why can't iPhone? Enough is enough!!!!!!

WHO IS WITH ME HERE????

Gee4orce

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Now, if they combine this with tragectory-based GPS calculations, then the iPhone should automatically know what direction you are traveling in and zero in on what angle to look at in a Google Street View snapshot. Now, that'd really be taking software to the next level.

Direction, speed and heading have been added back into CoreLocation in 2.2 beta 2. :apple:

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Who gives a funk about Google Street View? Why is Apple adding in stuff that people don't really care about? Why don't they give us what we want? What we need? Copy/Paste! Video Camera! Flash for Safari! More SMS Features like Forwarding, Re-Sending, Mass-Add Contacts! Picture Messaging! To-Do List/Notes with Sync! Why???????????????? Why is Apple being so incredibly difficult? Even the new Blackberry Storm Touch Phone can easily Copy/Paste. Why can't iPhone? Enough is enough!!!!!!

WHO IS WITH ME HERE????

Pretty much everyone is with you here, although GSV might be a cool thing. However, only the Apple CEO the Almighty has the only vote in this matter, and only He knows what everybody else do want or might possibly want.

In "reality", you do not really want copy/paste or Flash. But you do want Google Street View but you are simply reluctant to admit this to yourself (Sarcasm :eek:)

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Pretty much everyone is with you here, although GSV might be a cool thing. However, only the Apple CEO the Almighty has the only vote in this matter, and only He knows what everybody else do want or might possibly want.

In "reality", you do not really want copy/paste or Flash. But you do want Google Street View but you are simply reluctant to admit this to yourself (Sarcasm :eek:)

Glad to know I'm not alone. I even emailed Steve. Twice. I seriously will probably only use Google Street View maybe twice a year. And both times will be to show off the uneccessary feature to a friend.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I think this is great too, but Apple come on, first of all fix the bugs and give us the things we actually want and need:

-Still get dropped calls all the time, AT&T should be getting the a$$es beaten until they have their 3G network working flawlessly. Their network is the biggest single reason that deters people from getting the iPhone 3G!!! :mad: I personally know about 10 people that passed because of it! My entire office of about 50 people have iPhone 3Gs and we all average about 3-5 dropped calls a DAY!!!
-GPS is still odd
-Background email fetching
-Copy, Cut, Paste
-Video Recording
-MMS
-Push notification
-Global landscape keyboard
-iChat
-Search
-iWork
-Finder
Etc.

OK seriously, who wants to bet that the features that we all really want and the iPhone really needs like Copy & Paste won't get added until 3.0 and the 3rd generation iPhone??? Pathetic Apple :(

I seriously think that is what will happen! But don't worry, they will update the calculator at least 7 times before then! :rolleyes:

You have up to 4 finger gestures and right click in like 3 different ways on the Macs now Steve, why won't you give us copy & paste on the iPhone??? :rolleyes:

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
BEFORE THEY START ADDING NEW FEATURES, MAYBE THEY COULD FIX WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE!!!
ABOUT 10% OF ALL BUSINESS LOCATIONS ON GOOGLE MAPS ARE COMPLETELY INCORRECT! I DRIVE TO A BUSINESS LOCATION FROM MY IPHONE, AND IT'S NOT THERE!!! IT DOESN'T EXIST!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING THAT IS ?????? All Google has to do is add a feature for us to submit corrections to these locations, directly from our phones. Google can then investigate and correct the error. Why the heck didn't they do that from the start ????????

images

0905barrel.jpg

I think it's awesome that they are adding street view! :)

How long will it take to download a street view though? (cough. cough.)

(oh, btw, there have been numerous news articles that hundreds of people have flashed the Google street view cameras, and they've had to hire a whole team to review the footage and edit that out before they post it ... but, some might get past their screening process. I just want the job of the guy that gets to drive that car! :D )

Article: http://gawker.com/5009185/girl-flashes-google-mapmakers-cameras
Picture_18-2.jpg

Google Street View Boob Flash.
"Since the introduction of Google street view many people have been concerned about the privacy of those unfortunate bystanders caught on tape. Even though there are still many arguments to settle it was clearly established by courts that pictures of pedestrians and building exterior are not quite private. However it looks like Google will face stricter EU laws after its street view vans have been spotted in various European cities. In order to tackle this problem Google has been developing an automated face recognition and blurring system. However it seems like above all of these problems some individuals don’t actually mind being shown on Google street view. Not only that, some even play a new game called flash the Google van. (Might be somewhat NSFW) http://www.exposedseo.com/2008/05/17/google-street-view-boob-flash/

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Great news to see iPhone os evolve, but there are some things more useful to me, like copy/paste, or my subscribed calendar i would like to see also on my iPhone, or being able to type a number for SMS instead of only choosing from contacts, or the ability to hide some built-in apps, like weather, stock, youtube or itunes store...

Touch the 123 button on the keyboard when you are choosing who to send your text to and you can enter a number ;)

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
Streetview will surely be nice, but what I think would be much more practical is the new Google maps "by foot" navigation. I'm often asking Maps for the shortest route to a location, but that's not very useful when Maps gives you a route which is fine for a car, but when I want to walk instead.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
LINE-IN AUDIO!

That's probably one of the best things about any update—for me—on the iPhone so far! If this means I could have a mono line-level input through the 1/8" jack, that means I don't have to buy a Marantz CF card recorder anymore... as long as someone makes a good recording app for the iPhone (for relatively cheap).

interesting. The 99cent iDicto recorder app is already a great recorder. Using it all the time. I already can record for hours of training, seminars etc. using my iPhone. It works great. :D

in-line audio isn't really necessary for most people's needs.

so far doesn't look like this will be much of an update. Cut and Paste, now that would be something.

larry the fox

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Something like Google maps by foot would have been better (its a phone not a car sat nav) (yet) along with copy/paste and the most basic txt functions you get on any phone
Lets hope Apple wakes up to our wants before someone else does

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

WHO IS WITH ME HERE????

Me. Street View is nice, but there are a bunch of things that are so much more incredibly essential, much easier to implement (seriously. Implementing MMS or horizontal keyboard support in mail shouldn't take any time at all) and are lower on Apple's priority list?

This is getting rediculous.

Phazer

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Not that interested myself, as street view only works in (parts of) the US & odd bits of France.. I might skip this update.. seems a bit pointless to me. Not worth risking breaking apps over.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
However, as my friend said about cut and paste:

"It's the one button mouse issue for the iPhone."

I disagree. With the "one-button mouse issue" you could STILL right click by using a key on the keyboard making it possible to right click. Currently, it isn't even possible to copy and paste on the iPhone... at all. There's no workaround, you just can't do it until Apple writes it. So the one-button mouse analogy doesn't work for me.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
As an owner of the very limited 4Gb model iPhone each one of these updates makes me more inclined to upgrade to the 3G model.

Was hoping for a 32Gb model before I upgrade though....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.