Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Hey all,

Macrumors and it's community has been there for me in countless ways over the past 5 years - I have purchased most of my electronics in this marketplace, the web development and programming forums have been consistently helpful, and I've had a number of great discussions in the Community board.

And then I bought an iPhone.

Great, I thought. I will be able to get all my iPhone info in the same forum I visit every day anyways!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this is the case.

The thing I love about MR is that it really feels like an oasis from the Internet on the Internet. People are cool, polite, mature, etc - all characteristics that are hard to come by on most Internet message boards. This isn't the case on the iPhone forum. It is just as bad, or worse, than most other communities out there.

I know this is just bitching for the sake of bitching, but I just wanted to express my disappointment at having to find my iPhone info and support at a different location.

Thanks for listening!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The iPhone forums differ in that iPhone owners are not necessarily Mac owners. Those people come from a larger group. So essentially what you're seeing is the difference between Mac owners and everyone else :) No wonder people think Mac owners are so snobs.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Hopefully after the excitement of the new iPhone release is over, it should calm down a little. (just in time for the next iPad update);)

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Speaking of iPhone forums.. can we moderate this better please?

100s of threads on bad signal?

We need one.

10s of threads on free bumpers?

We need one.

I mean we merged a thread about Justin waiting for the iPhone when in reality it should stayed by itself.. why can't we merge threads about the same crap and delete new ones?

The iPhone forum is a mockery to the forums and so disorganized my OCD is about to give me a hernia.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Speaking of iPhone forums.. can we moderate this better please?

100s of threads on bad signal?

We need one.

10s of threads on free bumpers?

We need one.

I mean we merged a thread about Justin waiting for the iPhone when in reality it should stayed by itself.. why can't we merge threads about the same crap and delete new ones?

The iPhone forum is a mockery to the forums and so disorganized my OCD is about to give me a hernia.
hernery

I think the mods are overwhelmed TTYTT. The only way to moderate the iPhone forums is to have one (or even more) mod(s) solely moderating that forum. They also need to TO/ban some of the more obvious trolls we have.

I come to the iPhone forums to mainly help people and learn something in return every once in awhile, but there are so many posts like the OP is referring to that it’s really hard to find people needing help. Yes, some of these people will go away, but some will remain, leaving MR worse off perhaps.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I think the mods are overwhelmed TTYTT. The only way to moderate the iPhone forums is to have one (or even more) mod(s) solely moderating that forum. They also need to TO/ban some of the more obvious trolls we have.

I come to the iPhone forums to mainly help people and learn something in return every once in awhile, but there are so many posts like the OP is referring to that it’s really hard to find people needing help. Yes, some of these people will go away, but some will remain, leaving MR worse off perhaps.

Same here. And honestly, I think there needs to be a thread on the signal loss, free bumpers and even SJ saying it is a non-issue. But one thread. Not only does it clutter the forum but how can we hold a conversation when there are 50 going on at once. Anyway I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here.

On a semi-related note... anyone want to make an instant-ban rule for people who say, "cool story, bro"? :p

galenmd

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
I came to this thread because I am completely embarrassed by the posts in the iPhone forums. In all my years of belonging to forum communities, I have never seen such immature behavior. I come here for help, advise and to learn new and exciting things. That opportunity is all but lost.

If you mods are overwhelmed (I'm sure you are), please empower more to assist.

We need some simple rules (the first is standard, of course):
  1. Search before starting a new thread or before asking a question. If you do not find your answer, post your question.
  2. Do not reply to any post with unhelpful comments such as "Do a search" or "If you are unhappy with x,y, or z, then leave us alone." Either help the poster by solving their problem or showing them the search results. Otherwise, say nothing at all.
  3. If you dislike, or are not interested in a thread, do not post a reply.

I know macrumors has rules already, and I am sure there are many more rules of etiquette that can be added.

Mods, please step up and stop the mayhem. Post a stern WARNING sticky, and ban the next 20 people who violate it. Make it clear to everyone that you took action. A couple of hours of work will probably stop the nonsense in just a few days. Please, I don't want to lose this valuable resource.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Same here. And honestly, I think there needs to be a thread on the signal loss, free bumpers and even SJ saying it is a non-issue. But one thread. Not only does it clutter the forum but how can we hold a conversation when there are 50 going on at once. Anyway I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here.

On a semi-related note... anyone want to make an instant-ban rule for people who say, "cool story, bro"? :p

I tried to mod (actually telling people) on my my own by reporting using the report feature last year. It didn't do a dent.

MR really needs 2 dedicated mods there. It's gotten worse ever since the iPhone 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.