iPhone Game - KingdomGame.net - Looking for testers...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Phutty, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Phutty macrumors member

Hello hello,

Over the past couple of weeks I've been using my (somewhat limited) free time to make a little mobile based game (works on a wide range of mobile devices, as well as the net) - I say mobile based game, but really "small screen compliant" would be more accurate...

... annnnnyyywaaay. The game is a browser based that creates a kingdom when a person register's and places them in a world with all the other people playing the game... you can then build on your land, spy on people, go to war, join and create alliances, send out diplomats, train warriors, etc etc.

What I'm looking for is more testers to help out with stress testing the game - so if any of you have a moment or two and would be willing to spare some time, the game is available at:

http://www.kingdomgame.net

If you have any questions, either post them here, on the forums at kingdomgame.net or send a message to "system" in the game.

Hope to see you there,
    Paul Hutson

2. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

The brown text is quite hard to read on the brown background. But im signed up and will have a go, i used to play planetarion but not for a few years now, iphone would rock for that now, but i need my sleep more these days!

3. LocJaw macrumors newbie

it would help if I understood the game a little better, but from the short time I played this game it just seems too time consuming, I mean it takes like 8 hours or something like that to build a farm. Come on that's way too long why don't you try it by minutes.

I am not knocking the game. I guess my attention span isn't that great.

4. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

First up, cheers to everyone who has already signed up!

It's a sort of slow, play when you get a minute type game... so you start something off one day, then come back and do a bit more the next day... of course, it speeds up a wee bit more after the first couple of days.

My biggest tip is *explore a lot* early on, it helps you expand later!

Cheers again,
    Paul

5. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

Cheers again, I think I might turn up the brightness on the text, I've got my brightness set to about 75% on my phone.. what's yours set to (just wondering.. so I can test changes on your setting).

6. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

You dont have to sit and watch it, thats the idea!! if it takes 8 hours, just get some kip or something, just checking in every few hours to keep an eye on invaders etc.

its at 50% autobrightness on, i think a slight bit more golden on the text and we'll have a winner, i do have some other grumbles tho, before i get totally addicted to this, the menu at the top seems to be a very low res, menu,overview,etc, and the only other thing thats bugging me, but i dont think you can help, is having to use the iphone keyboard, flicking it to numberpad all the time to enter details is getting me a little.

7. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

Right - I'll making it a wee bit brighter this evening :)

And I really don't know what the iPhone does.. on mine, when on wireless, the image comes up crystal clear (the same as when it's on the net).. however, when on dialup, it seems to compress it somehow...? Any ideas anyone?

The keyboard, sadly, I can't fix :/

8. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Couple more questions for Ye,

is there a particular time stuff gets updates? ie on the hour?, or is it dynamically real realtime?

and my second is, is this right?

Is this right? I'd have thought they wouldn't be able to defend whist out on campaign

9. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

and just one more thing.......:cool:

can you get it to do that hiding the address bar trick that webapps do, its still there but automatically bumped off the top of the screen.

10. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

Updates are done every minute... so "near" real-time.

You're right - I'll just go and fix that now :)

11. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

Yup, just as soon as I find the code to do that :D

12. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

Lastly - I've done a few of the changes suggested above - including lightening the font colouring...

Do you think it's bright enough?

13. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

Done.. :)

and I have an idea on what is making the top panel look so pap on dial up.. so I'll see about fixing that too.

14. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

kay, I've joined now. But I'll have to have a go to play the
    game when I get some free time, as free time is something I dont often have.

15. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

Cheers, now you've joined your kingdom will start to grow anyway.. (well your networth will).. :)

16. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

font colour is alot better!! In keeping with the time period the theme portrays, before it was quite hard to see when outside, but its fine now.

the address hiding is mostly working, not sure what the problem is as pages that it didn't hide the first try do the second, which is odd, although pages where the bigger lists just went off the bottom sit on the screen alot better.

If you can sort the top menu graphics issue, its a winner!!

17. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

How's that?! :)

18. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

now were talking!!! nice!,

im kinda assuming there will be game resets every so often as everyone will end up getting huge and theres no chance for any new players to get into the game without just getting eaten alive, is there a 72hr protection period when starting out?. tbh i havent gone through all the posts in the forum

excellent game tho, i am playing

19. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

There will be a big reset this weekend (as I will have implemented the markets by then.. and fixed up a lot of the [-beep-] bugs) - therefore, it'll be moving from alpha 2.9.i to beta 1 :)

There is a two day protection for new players, so you'll be fine for a bit... then it starts to get messy.

20. TimJim macrumors 6502a

21. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

I have only been registered for about 5 minutes, but one thing that I noticed right away is that it is a bit annoying to enter numbers into the "How Many to Build" fields. I am playing from my iPhone, and when I build a new building, I have to click in the text field so the keyboard will pop up. Then I need to switch to the numerical keyboard, and then enter a number, then click Done or Go. Too many steps for such a simple action, if you ask me.

At the very least, maybe a deault value of 1 in the text box, since there is a confirm page anyway. A little better would be a pop-up menu, so I can simply swipe my finger to select. But best would be a simple [+] and [-] button, maybe on either side of the input box, which will simple add or subtract 1 from the value currently in the input. Then I can just tap the [+] and then build without invoking the keyboard.

Just my $0.02 after 5 minutes...

22. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

Good idea on the + -, I'll see if I can add that in in the next version :)

23. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

me again,

got an error for you when going to Alliance Rankings from Kingdom Rankings

Code:
    ADODB.Field error '800a0bcd'

Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. 
    Requested operation requires a current record.

/KingdomRankings.asp, line 281
    dont know if you know about this one already tho

24. Phutty thread starter macrumors member

25. xSOTYx macrumors member

Registered yesterday on my iPod Touch and I must say Im impressed and find myself continuing to log in this morning and this evening! Soon as my iPhone arrives I'll be able to play on the move! Not a game a thought id like but want to play more! Times in the game could do with maybe shortening a little but not too much! The interface is great!

Keep up the great work! :D