Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
Hello all,

I've had the iPhone since the original and I wanted to share a recent experience with everyone and get some feedback as to what I should do.

As we all know with the release of iPhone 5 the quality of the device was lacking, some were coming in with scratches, dents, pixels missing etc...

So, I ordered my iPhone 5 and received my first one -- I've had a number of issues with my iPhone 5 physical and software that have led me to get replacements.

#1: Came in the mail with scratches on the back that looked like someone took a screw driver and drew on the back.

#2: In store replacement, genius handed me a phone that the home button was wiggly and then the front glass was loose. After, I signed my name, I stopped him and asked him to replace this one for XYZ reason.

#3: Same genius went through another box, got me a 'fine' replacement (it had some scuffs but I don't care) and I was on my way. 3 days later my bluetooth stopped working and then my speakers cut out completely. I had no sound come out of the phone whatsoever.

#4: Went to apple they saw the issue, documented it, and replaced my iPhone with hesitation because this was #4, but this clearly was in a 3 day span of my last replacement. Phone no. 4, was the GREAT one, no flaws, no software issues, nothing. IT was great! Then, I woke up one morning and my screen had missing pixels like crazy. (Mind you, I am a moderate user, I keep everything clean, looking brand new with no dents, and always keep my phone safe). I made my appointment and exchanged it.

After returning, my missing pixel iPhone, I get a call from Apple, how was your service we are noticing you're returning a lot of iPhones, is there something we can help you with? I simply said, "No, all my issues were verified by geniuses at the Apple Store, but thank you." Representative says, well we are weary of your exchanges. I said, "What is that supposed to mean? Should I just go to Android instead seems like the QA is a little better, is this some type of insult? The representative turns her demeanor and is like, No sir, thank you for being an apple customer and hangs up.

#5. Time goes by, but I'm at work and my iPhone starts resetting 2-3 times. I do a DFU restore from brand new, solved the issue, 4 days latter, I cannot hear out of the ear piece.
I take it to Apple with a phone that you can't have a conversation on. Clearly, the genius says wow, yes let's replace this, i'm sorry you're having so many issues. I explain to him that I keep my products in pristine shape.

After going to the back to get me a replacement he says, "Sorry, I see the problem here with your phone but our system won't allow you to get a replacement, you've been flagged on high alert."
MY eyes open up, and i'm like HIGH ALERT FOR WHAT? HAVING PHONES THAT DON'T WORK?

Clearly, this was not his fault, so I calm myself and ask him to return my phone to me, and I will be buying a device that is NOT Apple.

He recommends that I call AppleCare and speak with a manager about the high alert flag.

I end up buying a Samsung S4 in the mean time, but do decide to call Customer Care anywhere as ANDROID is not for me.

I call and speak to a nice gentleman who is explaining that it's not necessarily my fault because the genius's are documenting that there are issues, it's just that because of the # of issues a manager at the Apple store where I frequent flagged my account. Not necessarily a bad thing, but because i've had so many returns it should go to AppleCare. (Still questioning this in my mind though)

I ended up returning my S4 as the gentleman said he would send me a new phone as courtesy and because i've been very patient (Not blowing up on people like an @**)

Has this happened to anyone and if not then what is this? Should I be insulted that a 'manager' at an Apple store blocked me from receiving any replacements because CLEARLY the phone is not working? IMO, that's poor customer service, especially when all of my issues were not my fault. CLEARLY.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Wow sorry you went through that.

You have the worst luck with iPhones.

I haven't seen a bad one out the box but obviously they exist otherwise this post won't exist.

Good luck

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm just beginning to hear about this from several of the people I know within the huge company I'm with. Apparently the number of returns is beginning to take it's toll on Apple's profits, which is about all they care about at this time.

It's not the defective phones, but their loss of revenue they are trying to deal with. Current and future Apple customers will have to be ready to accept this new reality.

In particular one of my fellow engineers, has had Apple intimate he's done. They will not be replacing any current or future phones for him.

That's particularly upsetting to him, since like myself he buys at least two or three new laptops each year, a few iPads, phones, and other expensive Apple products each year, as I do.

Thus proving the times are changing at Apple Inc.

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
You can thank all the people who returned multiple phones early in the life of the iPhone 5 for this measure I bet.

It is common practice in retail to flag "problem" customers who return numerous items or the same item multiple times. It is often called "renting" the product. Many high dollar electronic devices are commonly bought, used for a short period, then returned for XYZ reason, when the customer only needed the item for a weekend or a short period of time. Race scanners are one such example of an expensive item commonly bought then returned after the event.

Store managers have the right to refuse any service to any customer for pretty much any reason they choose. It doesn't happen very often but if they suspect suspicious activity or abuse of the store's return/warranty policy they will to reduce loss on the balance sheets come inventory time.

Sorry you were given such a hard time due to a response caused by people who were returning perfectly functional items for tiny cosmetic issues early on.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I'm just beginning to hear about this from several of the people I know within the huge company I'm with. Apparently the number of returns is beginning to take it's toll on Apple's profits, which is about all they care about at this time.

Source? Can't imagine returned phones they fix and then redistribute hurts them that much.....

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
You can thank all the people who returned multiple phones early in the life of the iPhone 5 for this measure I bet.

Store managers have the right to refuse any service to any customer for pretty much any reason they choose. It doesn't happen very often but if they suspect suspicious activity or abuse of the store's return/warranty policy they will to reduce loss on the balance sheets come inventory time.

Sorry you were given such a hard time due to a response caused by people who were returning perfectly functional items for tiny cosmetic issues early on.

And I always see random people posting in here about "Should I return my iPhone while I wait for my new one to arrive," and that's the type of behavior that ruins the experience for the customer like me who has had so many issues previous to my original purchase.

Sucks!

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If I had such issues with any phone I would call it quits and look elsewhere. The whole story is strange.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Think your just plain unlucky. You should just ask Apple to send you a REFURBISHED set. A refurbished set is nothing wrong, in fact it has been checked by technicians and engineers to be properly working.

Tbh i dislike threads where they talk all about their crap about their iPhone then end off with oh switched to a Galaxy S4 bla bla bla . For some reason i just don't feel that the comment is necessary especially on a site full of Apple Enthusiasts.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
Think your just plain unlucky. You should just ask Apple to send you a REFURBISHED set. A refurbished set is nothing wrong, in fact it has been checked by technicians and engineers to be properly working.

Tbh i dislike threads where they talk all about their crap about their iPhone then end off with oh switched to a Galaxy S4 bla bla bla . For some reason i just don't feel that the comment is necessary especially on a site full of Apple Enthusiasts.

It is necessary to explain how I could NOT use my phone and clearly they were not willing to help in store, so I had to subject myself to using an alternative device until something was shipped to me.

And they sent me a new iPhone 5. It works great. :p

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Kid you not...

I don't use my AppleID I think they use phone #? I don't know, but they know how many (exchanges) i've had.

I will spare you the details, but when apple switched over from the Power PC chips by IBM and went to Intel, I went through nine (9!!!!) MacBook Pros because of varying degrees of issues ranging from logic board "whining" to screen deficiencies. It was crazy and I am not talking about small things either.

Anyways, the people at my "local" (45 minutes away) apple store got to know me really well, by name even.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
It is necessary to explain how I could NOT use my phone and clearly they were not willing to help in store, so I had to subject myself to using an alternative device until something was shipped to me.

And they sent me a new iPhone 5. It works great. :p

Glad to hear that you are satisfied! For now ... heheh *touchwood* .
I'm rather surprised you actually opted for a S4 as an ALTERNATIVE device in the meantime. Shows how much dough you have in your pocket :cool:

----------

I will spare you the details, but when apple switched over from the Power PC chips by IBM and went to Intel, I went through nine (9!!!!) MacBook Pros because of varying degrees of issues ranging from logic board "whining" to screen deficiencies. It was crazy and I am not talking about small things either.

Anyways, the people at my "local" (45 minutes away) apple store got to know me really well, by name even.

I think going through 9 macbook pros because of hardware deficiencies is acceptable. Some things is life just had to happen over and over again and you have no choice but to accept it. But I am rather puzzled at how some people even have the patience (and OCD-ness) to go through several iPhones because of an extremely small nick. Yes, extremely small nick. I'm not even talking about scuffing, I mean just small tiny dots/dents on the bezel that isn't visible unless you had a magnifying glass.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
I'm rather surprised you actually opted for a S4 as an ALTERNATIVE device in the meantime. Shows how much dough you have in your pocket :cool:

Lol, I am happy for now. And hey! Desperate times call for desperate measures, I'm #TeamiPhone all the way, I was just disappointed about how they went about all of this.

----------

----------

I think going through 9 macbook pros because of hardware deficiencies is acceptable. Some things is life just had to happen over and over again and you have no choice but to accept it. But I am rather puzzled at how some people even have the patience (and OCD-ness) to go through several iPhones because of an extremely small nick. Yes, extremely small nick. I'm not even talking about scuffing, I mean just small tiny dots/dents on the bezel that isn't visible unless you had a magnifying glass[/B].

Agree, why would you return it for a small nick or scuff... The phone still works. :confused:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm kind of surprised you had so many lemons in a row. The odds of that happening is staggeringly low.

As Dr. House would say, I don't believe in coincedences. The cause must be environmental, or Sarcoidosis :p

Seriously though, do you live in some kind of extreme climate? Maybe your houses power is funky and something is being overvolted?

I'm not accusing you of doing anything purposefuly to destroy the phones, and Apple definately shouldn't have treated you like shti, but the odds of one thing causing this to happen to all your phones is so much higher than getting 5 lemons in a row.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
I'm kind of surprised you had so many lemons in a row. The odds of that happening is staggeringly low.

As Dr. House would say, I don't believe in coincedences. The cause must be environmental, or Sarcoidosis :p

Seriously though, do you live in some kind of extreme climate? Maybe your houses power is funky and something is being overvolted?

I'm not accusing you of doing anything purposefuly to destroy the phones, and Apple definately shouldn't have treated you like shti, but the odds of one thing causing this to happen to all your phones is so much higher than getting 5 lemons in a row.

Lol, I live in So Cal. So, relatively normal in terms of temperature and electronic surges don't happen often.

I honestly, do believe this technology luck was not in my favor when I bought the iPhone5. But for now, all is well...

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Source? Can't imagine returned phones they fix and then redistribute hurts them that much.....

Relative to the massive sales volume, the costs involved are unlikely to be that great. Yet one can never underestimate Apples greed. It all ads up. A fact that most of us who understand economics know very well.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I ended up returning my S4 as the gentleman said he would send me a new phone as courtesy and because i've been very patient (Not blowing up on people like an @**)

I said, "What is that supposed to mean? Should I just go to Android instead seems like the QA is a little better, is this some type of insult?
I'd say some silly threat to go to android isn't exactly the pilar of awesomeness.

i don't know why a lot of people are getting bad 5's. mine, as well as a few friends launch day iPhones, white and black all were mint.
The people I know with an iPhone 5 have not had this many issues. Of at least 30, I know two who had to return their phone for a new one.
Lol, I live in So Cal. So, relatively normal in terms of temperature and electronic surges don't happen often.

I honestly, do believe this technology luck was not in my favor when I bought the iPhone5. But for now, all is well...
Surges happen all of the time, especially when the heat starts in So. Cal.

Something seems off but at least it seemingly worked out.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
The 3G network on my 4S stopped working last year, before the 5 came out. The phone literally would not connect to 3G - only Edge and Wifi. This was something that was easily seen by merely toggling the 3G on / off. When I took it to the Apple store the Genius tried to tell me to screw off and that it was suspicious that I was returning it because I had, the previous year, returned a pair of Apple In Ear's because one ear piece stopped working. He told me to "document" it more for them before he could do anything, even though it refused to work for him right there on the spot.

The next day I went back and spoke directly to the store manager....

It's like they get suspicious of the wrong people. Because a pair of headphones broke you won't let me have a working iPhone that I bought directly from the Apple store factory unlocked for almost a grand. Get real.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I'm really anal when it comes to bad pixels or nicks especially on an iPhone. But I will give up if I keep having to swap out devices. It cost gas money, wear and tear on a vehicle and your time dealing with swaps.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
You sir have bad luck with your iPhones, I've only had to return my iPhone 5 one time because power button stopped working. You by any chance abuse your phone internally like running games or watching movies for hours?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
You sir have bad luck with your iPhones, I've only had to return my iPhone 5 one time because power button stopped working. You by any chance abuse your phone internally like running games or watching movies for hours?

How is running the games or watching movies for hours abusing the phone?

And stating the bleeding obvious.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
It's about time Apple took steps to flag chronic "returns" from people who will never be satisfied :apple:

Well definitely wasn't my case of DISSATISFACTION this was a case or POOR and improper care. Maybe you should have read my post more diligently.

I agree with you that they should flag chronic 'returns' because unlike myself, i've heard of people returning their phones for a scuff thats the size of a pin tip.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.