iPhone genius service has flagged me?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It does sound like the OP has had just about the worst luck, but appreciate people do experience this. Apple's customer service is amongst the best I have ever dealt with but I suppose if you are returning so many phones, they have to be weary. After all it could be a scam where the user is swapping tampered with iPhones on behalf of others or something like that. At least with normal experience you can rest assured that if you experience a hardware failure, Apple usually replace it with very little questions asked. The OP has an S4 now and after 30 days you have more difficulty returning a defective handset if you wish for a straight swap. I know HTC ask that you return a device 3 times before they consider replacing it and I've heard similar accounts for Samsung.

Sorry to hear of the bad experience, but I'm sure if you had persisted you would have got another replacement. The service is generally very good in my experience. :)

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
The best arguments always begin with "Well I've never seen...". For example, "Well I've never seen an animal evolve so the world is 6000 years old."

I've never had to exchange so many phones but that's a pretty meaningless factoid. I'm glad the situation seems to have been resolved, but I can't really blame Apple for making note of a situation where a customer has had a bunch of exchanges for review at a higher level. However, the purpose should not be to punish the customer or tell them how "weary" Apple has become (that would have pissed me off royally, it's amazing you kept your cool), but instead to get a handle on what's actually going on for trending and analysis purposes.

When you run a help desk you don't get mad at customers when they keep calling in about the same technical issues; you figure out the root of the problem and fix it so they don't have to call again. By and large my experience with Apple customer support has been stellar, and I can only hope that this isn't a sign of things to come.

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
Well definitely wasn't my case of DISSATISFACTION this was a case or POOR and improper care. Maybe you should have read my post more diligently.

I agree with you that they should flag chronic 'returns' because unlike myself, i've heard of people returning their phones for a scuff thats the size of a pin tip.

Thanks.
Evidently, it appears Apple has a completely different version of your story, hence YOU being FLAGGED :D

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
I was worried this would happen to me. I've had to return 5 iPhone 5's for various reason such as dead pixels, pre purchase nicks, couldn't hold a signal and dust under the screen. Thankfully the last one I got about two months ago is working great but I was worried they were going to refuse my last exchange. I called apple care + before I went back the last time to the genius so I wonder if that helped my situation.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I think this all boils down to QC at the factories slipping down the drain. My first iPhone (a 3GS), had no problems whatsoever. I kept it until it was time to upgrade.
When I upgraded to the 4S, the phone was absolutely pristine out of the box and everything worked fine. 7 months later it started warming up like mad and battery draining too quickly. I did all the DFU thing to no result, so I walked in and had it swapped.

Shortly after, my provider was offering upgrades to 4g for 25£, so I took the opportunity to plunge in the iPhone 5. This was in March.

IT'S BEEN A BLOODY BAG OF HURT!

First phone: scuffed and dented out of the box in several places (and not tiny scuffs) PLUS really bad screen interlacing which was what got me to have it replaced.

Replacement phone: cosmetically perfect, screen still with a little bit of interlacing but not noticeable without much effort. I was all happy with this phone, then one day under 3G, it starts warming up like mad to the point of being very uncomfortable to hold. From that point on, 3G data connection just wasn't reliable for day-to-day use (LTE was fine, only 3G affected).
Took it in and DIDN'T by any means ask for a replacement, but was offered one.

2nd Replacement phone which I got last Friday: cosmetically perfect, screen looks like trying to watch a poorly ripped HD movie which got vertical interference during the encoding.

I just don't think it's fair they're bullying and flagging costumers this way when they're the ones selling a premium electronic product and shipping it with flaws you would expect on a defective unit sale, be it scuffs, poor quality screens or whatever.

Given the emphasis they put on their commercials on the precision of their engineering process, the unparalleled quality of the Retina display, I don't think it is unfair for customers to expect the best, since they're paying for it.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
Evidently, it appears Apple has a completely different version of your story, hence YOU being FLAGGED :D
Ragdoll, if they were so concerned about my genius bar appointments, why would they notate that "GENIUS VERIFIED ISSUE?"

:p

----------

I think this all boils down to QC at the factories slipping down the drain. My first iPhone (a 3GS), had no problems whatsoever. I kept it until it was time to upgrade.
When I upgraded to the 4S, the phone was absolutely pristine out of the box and everything worked fine. 7 months later it started warming up like mad and battery draining too quickly. I did all the DFU thing to no result, so I walked in and had it swapped.

Shortly after, my provider was offering upgrades to 4g for 25£, so I took the opportunity to plunge in the iPhone 5. This was in March.

IT'S BEEN A BLOODY BAG OF HURT!

First phone: scuffed and dented out of the box in several places (and not tiny scuffs) PLUS really bad screen interlacing which was what got me to have it replaced.

Replacement phone: cosmetically perfect, screen still with a little bit of interlacing but not noticeable without much effort. I was all happy with this phone, then one day under 3G, it starts warming up like mad to the point of being very uncomfortable to hold. From that point on, 3G data connection just wasn't reliable for day-to-day use (LTE was fine, only 3G affected).
Took it in and DIDN'T by any means ask for a replacement, but was offered one.

2nd Replacement phone which I got last Friday: cosmetically perfect, screen looks like trying to watch a poorly ripped HD movie which got vertical interference during the encoding.

I just don't think it's fair they're bullying and flagging costumers this way when they're the ones selling a premium electronic product and shipping it with flaws you would expect on a defective unit sale, be it scuffs, poor quality screens or whatever.

Given the emphasis they put on their commercials on the precision of their engineering process, the unparalleled quality of the Retina display, I don't think it is unfair for customers to expect the best, since they're paying for it.
I agree with you, but in the case that the genius' verify the problem it does seem a little rude of them to flag me when clearly each time I have an issue.

----------

The best arguments always begin with "Well I've never seen...". For example, "Well I've never seen an animal evolve so the world is 6000 years old."

I've never had to exchange so many phones but that's a pretty meaningless factoid. I'm glad the situation seems to have been resolved, but I can't really blame Apple for making note of a situation where a customer has had a bunch of exchanges for review at a higher level. However, the purpose should not be to punish the customer or tell them how "weary" Apple has become (that would have pissed me off royally, it's amazing you kept your cool), but instead to get a handle on what's actually going on for trending and analysis purposes.

Lol, I am surprised either, but you know it's not the actual genius' fault who called me, but I was definitely more stern than friendly at that point.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Lets not get into this war about being right or wrong. Thats not the point of the OP at all. People need to stop making assumptions. The OP didn't come here for your approval or your backing.

OP, sorry to hear your luck with phones sucks. My wife and I have had our 5's since launch week (white 16GB) and they've worked flawlessly so far (knock on wood). I'm hoping this new phone works great for you.

As for the comment about "quality of the device was lacking" I would like to disagree. One might come up with this opinion, but only without the full understanding that nearly 90% of people with problems will make verbal comments. But less than 10% of people without problems will. Its very slanted, but easy to comprehend how an opinion is formed based solely upon half the information.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I had a similar experience today. After having my second replacement earlier today at the Bristol store to examine due to screen interlacing/flickering, the genius there agreed to exchange but said he'd have to ask the manager permission because it was already my 3rd replacement.
Replaces it, the new unit is cosmetically fine and FINALLY a screen that looks retina and doesn't flicker.
I go my merry way back to London (I was working in Bristol until yesterday) and I'm applying a screen protector and the upper right corner of the phone clicks. I tap there again, it clicks again. Screen not assembled properly.

I was fuming.

I went to the Covent Garden store without an appointment and asked to speak with the person responsible for the Genius Bar. Explained the entire situation and told him "I'm sorry to keep coming back, but as you've just heard, I'm not making this stuff up. Also, since this one actually has a good screen and I'm genuinely scared of what may come out of the replacement box, can't you take this one inside and place the screen again?"
He said he'd try.
10 minutes later he comes out with a replacement unit "I'm sorry. I've tried but one of the hooks that puts the screen in place was damaged during assembly. I can tighten the screws but there's always gonna be a little gap in this corner and dust may come in." He gave me a replacement and said he'd be happy to go through as many as needed to find a proper one and also offered to get me an iTunes card for my trouble. I told him it was very kind but I really just wanted a phone that would be worth my 500£.

This unit I have now seems to fine so far. No interlacing at all, cosmetically in good condition and everything seems to work.
Fingers crossed.