iPhone getting Flash. Is it ever going to happen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cootersgarage6, Feb 5, 2011.

1. cootersgarage6, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

Is the iPhone ever going to get Flash? It's kind of irritating that all the other smart phones have it, but this time, Apple isn't in head of the game. When will this war on Adobe end?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Who knows.
    I doubt it though.
    Would be nice to have for a few times I needed it and to be able to turn it on and off when the user pleases IMO.

3. celticpride678

If discussions are going like they are now, it'll be a while.

4. Vihzel macrumors 6502

It slows down the phone and Apple would not want that but as cooters said, it would be nice to allow the user decide when to turn it on and off.

5. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

That would mean you have a choice and Steve isn't keen on providing the user with a choice.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Unless he has held a gun to your head while you were buying all of your Apple products, he has given you a choice. You have the choice to buy or not to buy.

Whether the squabble with Adobe has merit or not, I feel the only way Apple would backtrack on their position would be for financial reasons. IE, they see a huge drop in sales that could be blamed directly on the lack of flash support. And according to sales numbers, this doesn't look like it's going to be happening anytime soon.

People are voting with their wallets, and so far they are voting no to Flash.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    In real life, "love it or leave it" isn't that easy.

People buy items all the time even if they're missing something useful, because the rest of the item is compelling enough. It doesn't mean the item is perfect in the buyer's eyes.

Apple does backtrack or change things, even without falling sales. E.g. putting back the iPad rotation-lock.

After Jobs steps down, I think that Cook (or whoever) will be a lot more open to options.

By that flawed logic, iPhone buyers also once voted against multitasking, MMS, video recording, 3G and third party apps.

8. Lodoss macrumors member

I have flash on my DroidX, and it's overrated it's one of things you think you want till you get it. It slows the phone down like it does some browsers, and i hardly ever use it now. If you want to see video on your phone use youtube or an app like air video or sync it to the phone to watch locally.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I find Flash invaluable when I run across a restaurant other website using it.

My kids with iPhones get stopped at that point and have to wait for the other kids with Androids to give them the info.

It's just one of those capabilities, like multitasking or voice+data, that is really handy to have at times.

Like many things in life, it's nicer to have them and rarely use them, than to need them and not have them. Not necessary, but nice.

10. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

It would be nice but I really don't see what I would use it for, most of the stuff I visit on my phone don't use flash.

11. Lodoss macrumors member

For restaurants i usually use google maps anyway and call the place up to ask questions. There's a great feature in maps called places that finds restaurants and the like near your location

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

OP. You have more chance of waking up on the moon tomorrow morning.

13. Lodoss macrumors member

Last summer in the span of a month I went from my Droid to an Evo to a Iphone4 and settled on the DroidX, and now i'm going back to the iphone. For me personally those features are nice, but ios i feel is more polished and less glitchy than android. I even unrooted my X when the flash update came so I was seriously disappointed when i noticed how slow and unresponsive it made my phone. Maybe the dual core chips will make things better.

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's true for me as well.

For that matter, most of the places I visit don't use HTML5 either.

Neither prevents me from liking having the capabilities.

:)

16. utneon macrumors regular

if you need flash, it's a very specific website, and that specific website i'm sure you want to view it in your computer. flash would overkill the iPhone battery.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

I don't think so. Flash is even horrible on Macbook's. That is saying A LOT!

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

There is a huge difference between the rotation lock and the beef that Apple has with Adobe. Jobs didn't write his "thoughts on rotation lock" giving multiple reasons for why it was eliminated.

The logic may be flawed, but the difference between everything you mentioned and Flash is quite clear. The iPhone 4 now has all but Flash. And if the iPhone 4 still didn't have video recording, or MMS, I believe that people would have started voting with their wallets. Especially now that there is a lot more competition than there was when the the first couple of phones came out without that feature.

My response was to the statement that Steve doesn't give anyone a choice. Of course we have choices. And of course we make sacrifices when we buy. A lot of these threads are filled with people who complain about Steve, and complain about not being given any choices by Apple. It's hard to take them seriously when they continue to buy the stuff.

19. admanster macrumors newbie

I will be switching to the iPhone from my Moto Droid and I have to say, I never use flash and the websites that do have flash the phone can not handle it. I have the phone rooted (jail broken) and overclocked to 1ghz and I feel flash runs like crap and any videos that I try to watch are not worth the time it takes to load them. I have tried multiple times to watch videos from Facebook and they run quite poorly. So it's safe to say that I agree with Steve Jobs on his decision to not support it.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

When I get a stable build of Flash on my MBP that doesn't make like it sound like there's a plane landing and crash FF every time I use it, then I'll want it on my phone. Until then, I'll happily live without it. There hasn't been one occasion where I've missed it on my phone anyway.

21. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

22. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

It's only irritating if you care about any of the other smart phones.

Sadly, if you end this one, there will just be another that pops up to take its place. Right in between the "Which RAM should I get?" and "Buy now or wait?" threads. :rolleyes:

23. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, we do love those threads, don't we?

24. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a