iPhone Gloves?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Clyde099, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clyde099 macrumors regular

Any finger-less or touch sensitive gloves out there worth purchasing?

2. key714 macrumors member

?

Do you really wanna put gloves on everytime you touch iPhone's screen :confused:
    Here's something better than gloves if you don't want to touch screen with your fingers

http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

LOL, yeah, cuz its not like he'd be asking for gloves because its winter. ;)

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I just ordered these, but I hesitate to even recommend them at the moment since it's been almost 6 weeks since I placed my order and I haven't received them yet. They emailed me and said that it's taking an average of 1 month to fulfill orders (though they haven't bothered to update their site so you know this before you place your order). I'll do a full review if/when I get them...

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

haha ok that makes more sense

6. ttate90303 macrumors regular

North Face Etip Gloves

I picked up a pair of the North Face Etip gloves and they work pretty well. They have static material on both index and thumb fingers (on both gloves) and a grippy material in the palm area. Keeps hands warm but still able to hold and operate the iPhone.

7. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

nice ordered these!

8. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I ordered those about a week ago. The site said 2-4 weeks but now that you've waited 6 weeks, I might have to cancel my order.

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Yep, placed my order on October 9. I emailed them after 2 weeks and got a canned email response saying that they're a start-up with limited manpower, blah blah blah. I'm not really in any rush to get them - I have other gloves I can use to at least keep my hands warm - I'm just disappointed that it takes this long to get a pair of gloves made in New York. :confused:

10. spikedfo macrumors regular

i live near the equator and never use the gloves....:eek:

11. indiecraig macrumors member

That doesn't really help anybody on here does it...

I live in Poland and the temperature dropped to -6 this past weekend, so I'm looking for a good glove + iPhone solution. At the moment I'm using a pair of those fingerless gloves with a mitten part that pulls over your fingers. It works quite well, but I need both hands as my thumb is always covered. I might have to see if I can track down some of them ETIPs.

12. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Please let us know when yours arrive and what you think of them.

13. TheBearman macrumors 6502

I received my E-TIPs today. Very comfortable and work great with the iPhone. The inside reminds me of something from Tron, but they do a good job preventing slippage.

The only negative thing I can say (and it's very minor) is that the material on the thumb and index finger tip is very slick. It made it a little different when I first attempted to remove the gloves.

The DOTS look good as well, my only concern was the lack of anything in the palms to help hold the phone.

14. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Thanks for the update. Care to take a couple of pictures of them on and also show the palms? :)

15. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Seems like a lot of people have caught onto the North Face Etips... they're pratically sold out everywhere... and the websites that ship to canada are all sold out except for one UK site but I'd rather not pay $88 for $40 gloves.... Just got a e-mail today notifying me that the place I ordered from was sold out

16. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Here are a couple of pics. Would rather not have the markings on the back of the index finger, but not a big deal.

The "Tron" looking lines on the inside appear to be applied rubber tracks. Like I said, does a great job providing traction and holds the phone well.

Attached Files:

17. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately almost everywhere is sold out of the northface Etip....
    My order was cancelled.... and I couldn't find decent sizes anywhere...

Here is another set of gloves to look into

Marmot - iglove --> i've ordered these they're very similar to the north face etips..

18. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I just received my pair of Etips from backcountry.com and they're amazing

If you can find a pair, definitely pick it up!

19. ttate90303 macrumors regular

Glad to hear the E-Tip gloves are working out for folks who've found them. Tron pattern is a good way of describing the gripping rubber in the palms. It does work getting a good grip on the slick plastic of the iPhone 3G.

20. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I also ordered E-Tips, they should be here tomorrow. If people are having a hard time finding them, I got mine (black, large) from moosejaw.com. Pretty decent site for outdoors/snowboarding gear. I've ordered from them before and had a good experience.

21. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Thanks! I agree with you on the index finger patterns but still tolerable.

I emailed the Dots guys today and they didn't have an answer for when the gloves would be available so I had to cancel my order. Now I'm back to shopping for the ETips.

22. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Thanks for the tip. Those were only $17.50 at Moosejaw but they are sold out! Etips are sold out at Backcountry.com (I knew I should have bought them last week when I had the chance!) but I found them at Moabsports.com and they were the only site I could find that had them in Medium. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.moabsports.com/item.asp?pid=AN8C&Product=The%20North%20Face%20Etip%20Glove&gdftrk=gdfV267_a_7c110_a_7c170_a_7cAN8C

They have free shipping on orders over $49 and I also earned $7.99 in Moab Bucks to use towards a future purchase. I'll probably never use it so if anyone is ready to make a purchase at this site, email me and I'll give you the coupon code.

Happy holidays.

23. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I just ordered them and they shipped the next day from Northface. I hope they are worth it.

Online buyers guide Chat

Jessica P: Small:7", Medium:7.5", Large:8.5".
    Jazz1: what are the numbers measuring?
    Jessica P: That is the inches from the top of your middle finger down to your wrist.

24. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Mine just arrived yesterday and they fit perfectly. They are very comfortable and I've had no problems using my iPhone with them.

If anyone is going to order these from Moabsports.com (where I bought mine) I have a coupon for $7.99 off. I'll never use it so email me and it's yours.

Happy Holidays.

25. lumerq macrumors newbie

Review of DOTS Gloves

I bought the DOTS gloves (http://www.dotsgloves.com/) and had to put my two cents in. Overall, I would NOT recommend these gloves.

Good Points:
    - Creative idea. You don't have to expose your fingers to get the screen to respond.
    - The iPhone actually does respond most of the time to the touch of the dots.
    - Relatively inexpensive.

Bad Points:
    - The gloves aren't that warm compared to others I have. I bought the $20 wool gloves. True, I tend to be someone who complains of being cold more, but the gloves aren't that wind-resistant and don't stand up to colder temperatures (i.e., below 30 degrees). I wish they would come with thinsulate lining.
    - There aren't enough sizes. I wear size 6.5 or 7 surgical gloves and "small" gloves tend to fit me best, not medium, as is the smallest available size.
    - Some people complain that there is no "grip" on the palm to prevent iPhone slippage out of your hand and onto the floor.

BUT THE WEAKEST THING ABOUT THESE GLOVES OVERALL IS:
    The thumb dot is useless. When I use the iPhone with my thumb, I use the SIDE of my thumb, not the fingertip part. Think about when you use your thumb and index finger to zoom in on the screen, or when you use your thumb to type--it's true. Thus, I am unable to perform either of these functions without removing the gloves...which defeats their purpose. The only useful dot to me is the one on the index finger, and that is simply not enough to do most useful stuff on the iPhone.

INSTEAD, I'd recommend getting those gloves that expose your four fingers, but have a mitten covering. I found a pair at the Army/Navy store that have thinsulate lining and they are warm.