Iphone Gophone Warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stupendusboi, Mar 19, 2008.

1. stupendusboi macrumors member

I just got off the phone with an apple store employee and asked him about getting a warranty if i use it with t mobile. He said to just get a gophone account when activating and then just taking out the iphone sim, hack it hten use it for tmobile. THen if it breaks, then put in iphone sim and bring it in.

would that really work?

2. Emulsion macrumors 6502

You could get that employee fired.

He shouldn't be recommending that.

3. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Wow. I don't think an Apple employee would say that.

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I was thinking this same thing last night. Potentially you should be able to activate it on GoPhone but just not buy any minutes. I wonder if it would work.

5. stupendusboi thread starter macrumors member

your telling me.! lol i was so shocked i was laughing and then i hung up

6. stupendusboi thread starter macrumors member

but seriously.. i dont see any reason it wouldnt work because the iphone would be registered to that gophone sim

7. pna macrumors 6502

Is the gophone option one of the available options when activating it through iTunes? I haven't been able to find consistent answers to this very simple question. If it is, are the rate plans the same as the regular gophone rate plans?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Honestly, that's nothing compared to what an AT&T rep told me when I was opening my father his AT&T account [He lives outside the US and travels and doesn't have a SS].

So, anyway, I asked the AT&T rep what AT&T thought about unlocked iPhone and he told me, AT&T doesn't really care, thing is, once something goes wrong with the phone they can't really do anything cause they have to be AT&T activated for warranty to kick in. He later went on to tell me that he has unlocked his friend's iPhones and that if you really want an iPhone outside AT&T go for it as it is a marvelous device [at this time I noticed he had an iPhone].

AT&T rep said that he unlocked his for abroad travel since he thinks AT&T's roaming charges are absurd.

=====

Pretty much what you wouldn't expect from AT&T rep, but hey, its a free world

those were his $0.02 and also my $0.02 has I also use AT&T and I unlocked it just to use anywhere.

9. Jenheta macrumors regular

That's exactly what we're talking at our office other day.
    If you activate a prepaid account, and then never renew
    your credits, officially you are (were) an AT&T costumer.

Does anyone know how to get a GoPhone these days ?
    I believe the 999999999 SSN trick has not been working for months.

10. pna macrumors 6502

This is the same question I've been trying to get an answer to. This thread makes it sound like it's a straightforward thing to do, and that AT&T would be ok with it, but I've seen no evidence that this is the case at this point. Any insight from people that have recently signed up an iPhone recently as a go phone would be really helpful.