iPhone has 17GB of "Other"?!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by stark93, Jan 5, 2014.

1. stark93, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

stark93 macrumors member

stark93

I've restored my iPhone twice and I know this isn't right... Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

when you restore the phone, set it up as new.....dont restore to your backup. thats the only way around that.

oh and you may want to edit out your seial number and phone number next time, common internet sense.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

Usual suspects are large apps zipped for sync that got aborted and not automatically deleted, and buffered media.

Download iExplorer, connect your phone, choose to use the demo version. Then go to Media in the list to the left. Now click the triangle/arrow next to the folder ApplicationArchives. Anything in there?

Now click the triangle/arrow next to the folders CloudAssets and LoFiCloudAssets, anything in there?

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

ive done all of that in the past, ibackupbot and iexplorer. i had nothing clogging up my other....no stored messages, no pictures from MMS, no downloaded OS files....nothing. i was stuck at almost 2-3GB of other. i was finally able to shrink it by doing a restore as new. now it sits where it should between 1-1.5GB.

those cleaning apps work for some, and dont for others. the only real way is a wipe.

i recently wiped my 64GB ipod touch 4 and it went from 3.5GB of other (more than my ipad and iphone combined and i dont know why) down to 650MB, which is normal on a fresh wipe. once i resynced my music back (54GB worth) it rose slightly to just under 1GB.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

These apps don't "work for some", they work for everyone. The trick is trying to locate the files to delete. And wiping the phone is simply deleting all files at once. Basically what you're saying deleting files doesn't work, and that the only "real way" is deleting files.

So, now, let us focus on trying to help the OP without him having to wipe his phone.

6. macsmurray macrumors member

You may have a lot of saved text and iMessages. Check under Settings>General>Usage and wait for the app list to populate. It surprised me when I checked a while back just how much memory they took up. If it is the case then just delete any unnecessary messages.

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

what are you talking about? i simply stated that i followed every single method mentioned here and other websites and couldnt resolve the issue. i saw that it worked perfectly fine for alot of others, but it didnt for me. im just saying that if the methods of using ibackup and iexplorer dont work, he wont have any other choice. im very familiar how this all works and tried everything possible to shrink the other data. so dont tell me it works everytime, because without jailbreaking to manually search every single system folder, it doesnt. these apps have limited access to system folders where some of this memory hides.

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

OP, you have your phone number listed. Should not do this. Cover it or you may get some nasty phone calls from nut cases..

11. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I used to use PhoneClean (as noted above) but recently they "updated" and my free version doesn't work and the new version doesn't clean...just tells you to buy it to clean it.

12. Razeus macrumors 601

It's total BS that apps aren't required to have a "clear cache" button in their settings.

I usually have to delete and reinstall the app to clear the iPhone "Other" cache.

Apple needs to make this a requirement or at least have the data removed automatically after 30 days.

----------

Doesn't matter. It's just going to build back up again.

13. stark93 thread starter macrumors member

stark93

I've been mess in around with it after I restore it and set it up as a new iPhone.

When I have all my settings set and his sync everything but music syncs. iTunes says its synced but when I open up music, it says no music is on the device. So I go back to iTunes and uncheck to sync all my music then the "other" shoots up to like 17GB ... After that, I'm lost.

14. stark93 thread starter macrumors member

stark93

Haha! Wouldn't be the first time... Thanks!
    Done! :p

15. stark93 thread starter macrumors member

stark93

Fixed

So I restored my phone and just synced each item one at a time? Like just synced all my apps then restarted my phone. Then all my music and restarted my phone... so on. I's cleared now! Thanks for the posts everyone! :)

Attached Files:

16. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

oh, looks like it worked without having to use ibackupbot or iexplorer....imagine that.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

Do you mean someone said wiping the phone wouldn't solve the problem? Who?

IBackupBot and iExplorer are great for people who don't want to wipe their phones.

18. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Usually that means during the sync the data became corrupted most likely due to the iPhone sync cable becoming loose or rarely on older computers while multitasking, sometimes corruptions occur (this occurred about two or three times on my 4-year-old mac when I'm playing a game and syncing my iPhone and the beach ball is thrown about).

19. brenm666, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

brenm666 macrumors regular

Hi all, I have a similar problem then the OP. Just got myself a new iPhone 5S and I have a Other of about 32GB. I was fine at the beginning, but when I updated my music, it messed everything up. This weekend, I was seeing all the music I was suppose to, but when I was playing some songs, it was just skipping them completely.
    So I restored my iPhone twice already, once backing up from a previous backup, and then as new. Nothing changed.
    I installed and ran PhoneClean, but it didn't erase anything. I also ran iExplorer and check for hafr's folder (#3), but they weren't there.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

20. hafr macrumors 68030

Is "manage music and videos manually" activated? Delete all music from your phone via iTunes, sync, disconnect, reconnect, is "other" still there?

Deactivate manual handling of music, sync, still there?

If it's already deactivated, activate it, sync. Anything?

21. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

22. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I can't get the app to work either...after paying, no less. Took two days to squeeze a license code out of them (ridiculous). Now, it launches, but without control buttons, even when the iPad is connected:

[​IMG]

I've never been so ticked off by a paid app without even using it.

23. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Not true. I've had this happen several times and restored backups with no issue, especially iCloud backups.

Just depends on what the other is.

24. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

it is possibly corrupt data-resync it and it may go away otherwise it could be files, emails, or messages.
    I had 6GB of corrupted data on my iPod touch once and i resynced it then it was fine.