iPhone has no signal bars

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Brooklyn8, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Brooklyn8 macrumors member

Brooklyn8

Hello, I got an iPhone from a guy that used Ziphone to attempt to unlock it :( Anyway, he said it would no longer read his sim after that. So when I got it I when ahead and restored it and use winpwn to jailbreak it at version 2.02. However now it shows no bars for signal.

I read somewhere to try a restore with 1.1.4 and go from there? Is that what I should do? Or?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Let iTunes do a full restore recovery using a normal .ipsw, then, use QuickPwn for Windows (if you lack a Mac to use Pwnage) to activate/jailbreak your iPhone. After that, download thru Cydia (connect to a Wi-Fi network first) the application called BootNeuter. Run it.

Select Neuter Bootloader "on" and Unlock "on". The rest should be off and it doesn't matter what bootloader you have.

You should have signal back.

3. Brooklyn8 thread starter macrumors member

Brooklyn8

4. Brooklyn8 thread starter macrumors member

Brooklyn8

5. DuRui macrumors member

Does this work with 2.2 too? Since I seem to have the same problem my 1st gen iPhone now basically is a iPod touch...
    Got it Quickpwned ..now to get the signal back.

Been working on this for a day and a half now (incl sleep haha and work..) I'd like it to work now :S

**EDIT**

It worked! ! ! ! ..damn I'm happy haha...if you don't mind..I'll go in the back and have relations with my phone now ;)
    Thank you all!

6. sarah1311 macrumors newbie

Hello, i am new to the iphone. i have brought a 2nd hand i phone and i have the same problem. there is no signal bar on the phone but it says the o2 sim card is there.
    can i do what u said on your post do i have to plug in my iphone to my computer to do those steps. i have a samsung laptop does that make any difference?
    i dont really really understand what those words mean lol but im guessing it will be obvious when i go through it.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What kind of iPhone do you have and what are you trying to do with it? What firmware and baseband are you using? We will need this information before we can help you.

8. sarah1311, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

sarah1311 macrumors newbie

hello thank you for trying to help me. i have brought a 2nd hand iphone 3g 8gb.
    it is either 02 or unlocked im not sure because i only have o2 sim cards.
    when i got the phone i had o replace the sim reader. It is fine and working now. but i have no signal bars and i cant make or receive calls when i put my sim card in the iphone. the sim is fine as it works in my other phones.
    sorry i dont know what firm wear and baseband means, i have never had an i phone b4. i would be very greatfull if u could help me

i have looked up the model no. and it is an iphone 3g from 2oo8 im not sure if that helps

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

To find firmware and baseband, go into Settings > General > About.

"Version" = Firmware
    "Modem Firmware" = Baseband

I would try restoring with iTunes.

10. sarah1311 macrumors newbie

hello, i have found;
    modem firmware= 05.15.04
    version=4.2.1 (8c148)

what if i tunes does not fix the problem, i wil try itunes as soon as i get the lead which will be in about half hour

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Then it would most likely be a hardware issue.

Your baseband is not unlockable therefore unless O2 unlocked it themselves, I don't think that it's unlocked. And are you absolutely sure it's an O2 phone if it's locked? Maybe it's Orange or Voda?

12. sarah1311 macrumors newbie

it is an o2 phone because it was working fine when i first got it.
    i have plugged the iphone into i tunes. what do i do now???

13. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Make new thread. Easier to help. Also plugging into iTunes won't help.
    U will need blobs if u wanna restore to same firmware.
    :)

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Don't listen to Abs_p. Plug the iPhone into iTunes and click 'Restore'. If you have contacts and pictures and stuff on your iPhone, you can go to the left sidebar on iTunes, right click on "Sarah's iPhone" or whatever it's called and then click "Back up" before restoring. You will be able to sync to your backup after the restore.

Actually, she won't need blobs because she's using a 3G and the highest firmware for that phone is 4.2.1 which is obviously still being signed. Before offering advice, please ensure that your information is accurate. Thank you. :)

15. sarah1311 macrumors newbie

i have done the itunes but it didnt work :(
    what are blobs???
    what else can i do there is still no signal bar but it says o2 a the top.

16. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ahh well I misread it for a 3GS.

17. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nothing related to iPhone 3G.. My mistake I misread the post :)

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

SHSH blobs are necessary for restoring to older firmwares that are no longer being signed by Apple. You can get them by jailbreaking when that firmware is being signed. In your case, you don't need SHSH blobs because you're restoring to 4.2.1 which is the last firmware that Apple ever created for the iPhone 3G and it is still being signed.

Are you sure that when you got the iPhone, there wasn't an older unlockable baseband being preserved? It would re-lock the phone if you updated. I'm not really sure what else to tell you. Either what I just said, or it's a hardware issue.

19. sarah1311 macrumors newbie

i dont no what older unlockable baseband means????
    soz, i saw the fone working and being used then i brought the fone off of sum1 then the sim reader broke and i haven been able to call out on it since. but i have had the sim reader fixed and that is ok now. i cant make a call i instanly says call failed and i cant receive any calls or txts either.

20. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Well the phone is already on a locked baseband. And u r confusing her more.

Show it to a repair shop.. Maybe ur sim kit is problematic .

21. sarah1311 macrumors newbie

ok thank you i will see what they say at the shop :) thank you for trying to help