Iphone HD slightly smaller screen then 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zaft, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Gizmodo seems to think so, but every time i look at the pics of both the new iphone and 3gs they look exactly the same in screen size. Take a look and see if you can tell.

[​IMG]

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you can't make a comparison from an angled pic...

4. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Well if you turn your head you can sort of see the deference.

I hope for a larger screen size. Why go lower if they want to complete with the HTC.

5. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

I think the difference is so small that the naked eye can't tell that there is a difference if that makes any sense

6. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

Screen size isn't everything to most people, and a lot of people won't like carrying a brick in there pocket. While the EVO is a nice phone it is freaking huge. Feature wise and spec wise the iPhone 4G or HD w/e it will be called will definitely not have any problems competing with the EVO based just on screen size. Apple's quick and snappy UI along with great Itunes and App store integration is what keeps people coming back for more and more with every new iPhone, plus the enhanced features don't hurt either, and this time its not just going to be a minor upgraded camera and processor.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Its such a small difference it's not noticeable. Not even worth mentioning.

They're not in a spec war with HTC. iPhone releases are waaaay too slow for that to be viable. They go for a better overall experience, even if they don't have the best specs. The 3GS has a slower processor than HTCs current flagship phones but can still hold its own pretty well because the OS is optimized for the hardware.

8. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

You obvlously never used one of those new 4" HTCs then.

a Quick and snappy UI does not have anything to do with the screen size kid. Sure they have iTunes and the app store but others have the app store. others allow you to play music. Apple NEEDs to be ahead of the game if they want to succeed.

Well I just did.

no one said they were in a spec war. Not sure what you are smoking. Apple may just as well place the A4 chip in the device.

but like i said, they want to surpass HTC as they are the top guns right now with the android marker.

9. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The phone is honestly just as pocketable as an iPhone. No girls or guys with extremely tight jeans are going to put it in their pocket but they won't fit the iPhone comfortably. If you can fit an iPhone comfortably in your pocket then you can do the same with the evo.

10. masterlimp macrumors member

The OP is absolutely correct. Going backwards in screen size would be a travesty.

I used the EVO in store today and while I think it wasn't anything special, the one feature that was great was the gorgeous screen.

If Apple doesn't do change the screen size next year, the iPhone will be dead by the end of next year. Android is already on the fast track to owning it.

11. fishmoose macrumors 68000

You stand by that next year when the iPhone isn't dead with the same screen size? Stupid statement to make...

12. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I think it's just the smaller bezel making it look smaller.

13. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

How is it stupid? He's right. Just because YOU don't think a larger screen would be idea doesn't not mean everyone has to share that same felling.

The iPhone may live with the same old crappy 3.5" display for the next 5 years. But 4" screens will become popluar and if apple were any smart they will start now with higher rest screens mazes out at 3.7-4.0"

14. nlr macrumors 6502

I think everyone is forgetting the point of the iphone.. It's a phone so it doesn't need a huge screen..

If you want to watch media etc then go with the ipad.

Its already been confirmed that its slightly smaller.

15. rkswat macrumors regular

If phones don't compete on specs then on what standards do they compete? So basically you contradicted your own statement.

Wow I thought I was an *******..... I just can't compete with you!

It's stupid because he's talking out of his 4th point of contact.
    For those of you that want a bigger screen, see ya later and good luck.
    Oh, it's also not the "same old crappy 3.5" display", it's an entirely different display, so maybe you should actually know what you're talking about BEFORE you let the diarrhea spew from your lips.
    Apple is doing pretty well with their phones without YOUR input so how about we let THEM decide what the next iPhone should have...... again, have fun with your new non crappy 3.5" display phone.

16. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

People have managed with the iPhone's screen since 2007. Yes the new iPhone's screen is slightly smaller but I'm sure people in general will be very happy with it when it's released.

The rumored screen resolution alone has me impressed in itself.

I'm sure the general public will cope fine with it. There are plenty of alternatives with larger screens out there so if the screen isn't up to your needs, get a device with a larger screen.

EDIT: That is not directed to the OP, just the screen haters. :p

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

This is what I was thinking when I first saw the pictures.

18. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

iPhone's screen size is perfect. Actually no one really cares if the screen is 3.5 inch or 3.7 (or 4) inch. Only the tech nerds do, and it happens to be that most iPod and iPhone buyers don't really care about the specs.

19. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The iPhone will not be "dead" by the end of next year.

Even if Android overtakes the iPhone, it doesn't mean a thing. The PC has always had a greater userbase than the Mac, but it's not stopped people who want a Mac buying the Mac or stopped the Mac being any less profitable to Apple.

The iPhone is here to stay, market leader or otherwise.

20. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

This is unfortunate true. The current iphone's screen isn't small enough to get a complaint from me but a bigger screen would be nice.

21. fishmoose macrumors 68000

It's stupid since he said that the iPhone will die. I can guarantee you that wont happen within a year.

22. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

there is no way Apple would make the screen smaller. Not a chance.

they look the same size, every picture i have seen they are the same size.

23. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Exactly, 3.5" is perfect, think of the ergonomics.

24. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

I have the new iphone lcd as well as 3g and 3gs lcds and they are the exact same size. The only differnce is that the new iphone lcd is thinner than previous ones........

25. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

just think if the iphone is spec wise almost as good as the HTC think if the iphone was that size, it would defiantly be the best. a bigger screen is a cover for putting more power in the hood, without being criticized for how big the phone actually is. i always saw it that way for every device:p