iPhone Headphones -- Better with 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxxscholten, Jul 3, 2008.

1. maxxscholten macrumors regular

First off, has anyone had any problems with their iPhone headphones? Mine started falling apart (speakers popping out of the casing) within two months of having my iPhone.

Also, I used them while working out a lot and I'm sure I've gotten my fare share of sweat into the microphone/clicker, and now it takes quite a bit of pressure in order to make the iPhone pause/skip tracks/answer a telephone call.

Does anyone think that the build quality will be better with the release of the 3G iPhone, or am I too rough with these things! :rolleyes:

Also, I hated the soreness I would get from having the headphones in my ears a lot and made a hybrid of the iPhone heaphones and the Apple In-Ear Headphones -- I wish these would come standard! :D

Attached Files:

2. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

People actually used the headphones that came with the iPhone?

My advice would be to get a new pair of headphones. I don't see any evidence of Apple releasing an updated pair of headphones... But who knows. :rolleyes:

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I used the ones that came with my first iPhone only until the V-Moda's with the inline button came out. Those are the ones I use now. They aren't as good as my Shures but they are a nice balance of quality and functionality. I would expect the ones that come with the 3G will be the same (or very close to the same) as the old ones. I doubt I'll even take them out of the plastic.

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I have a love/hate relationship with the iPhone's headphones.

I love how they look -- so streamlined, simple and white. I love how I can recognize others with iPhones, and they can do the same with me -- that knowing nod of recognition we give each other. And the way they function is so beautiful -- one simple click to pause/play or answer a call, a double-click to advance. It's really the perfect headphone...

...except for it's super crappy quality. :mad:

I've had the iPhone for about 5 months, and I'm already about to buy my third set of earphones. That's ridiculous. It's $30 a pop each time. I'm thinking of just getting a more expensive but better quality pair -- although I really hate the look of almost all other headphones. I just wish Apple made better ones.

That said, I'm pretty positive the 3G phone will have the SAME pair of headphones. They look like they've gone "cheaper" with other parts of the phone, so I doubt we'll see an upgrade in headphones.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

6. spinstorm macrumors 68000

I really like the iPhone/iPod headphones because the sound is very EVEN - its all listenable - there are no deep bases no high trebles - its just nice even sound that can be heard in every place (depending on volume) and thats good for us all.

I bought a pair of V-Moda headphones for £70 and they are absolute rubbish... they look great but its all bass - the sound is muddy and its just makes music unlistenable to me.

And bear in mind I appreciate high quality sound and I am a musician (for fun of course as no job in that for me anyway) so I always pay lots and lots of attention to every note in music I listen to and I want to be able to hear everything and the iPhone headphones let me do that.

Don't get me wrong I am sure there are better headphones out there but if V-Moda at £70 is rubbish then there is no way I am spending twice that for some Super.fi 4vi or even more expensive earphones!

7. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Not sure if the headphones will be better or the same, but I do remember Jobs commenting on the sound quality of the new iPhone 3G. IIRC he said "the sound quality is a lot better, you have to hear it to believe it" or something like that. But dunno if he was talking about the music or call quality.

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I believe he was talking about call quality and the speaker phone.

As for the V-moda earphone I've gone through 2 pairs of em and everytime I've had the same issue with em. The metal mic jack always falls apart and frays where the fabric meets the metal mic jack.

I gave up on v-moda and bought a pair of shure se310 and the musicphone adapter. The build quality is great for the price you pay.

9. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

My wife and I purchased some of the JVC Marshmallow earphones because we had the same problems with our ears hurting. They're cheap, but they don't hurt our ears, and the audio is pretty good. Circuit City puts them on sale every so often for $8 too, so they're not too expensive either.

10. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

They seem pretty good to me, and I'm a person that doesn't normally like earbuds. I think the previous Apple earbuds may have been a little larger. I know that some $10 Philips earbuds I bought seem MUCH larger and hurt like a mofo. I just bought some of the little fuzzy covers that you can get for $10 for 5 sets at the Apple Store and they don't fall out.

Yes, there are better speakers out there. But most of them (at $30) don't have the clicker control and built-in microphone. Therefore, I like to use these a good bit. I wish there was a way to control volume using them, but I guess I'll just have to make do with the side of the phone.

12. skierdb526 macrumors regular

if you dont want them ill pay shipping.

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I saw someone at bestbuy actually paying $30 for a pair of those. Its $7 headphone quality being sold for 30 bucks.

14. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I would recommend the Bose in ear headphones. They work perfectly with the iPhone, and are designed to work with the original recessed headphone jack. Only £70!

15. chrisjonny macrumors member

chrisjonny

the Bose in ear headphones are terriable, my dad got a pair for free from his work so he let me use them within the first minute they fell out 4 times. the only way to keep them in is to be completely still.

16. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

The iPhone 3G will be my first, but I have had iPods before, and I have not had any real problems with the earphones. I think they produce good quality sound (albeit for about 8 months, then they start buzzing a bit, but Apple happily gave me new ones for free). I am not particularly picky though. if I can hear it, its pretty much good enough. I do, however, like the look of Bose headphones, but they cost alot!

17. coryetzkorn macrumors regular

coryetzkorn

The Apple Earbuds are excellent, but they suck unless you buy foam covers. Otherwise they will always fall out. I love the remote control and mic and the clean look/ awesome fit.

I've purchased $200 Bose earbuds, $150 Senheisers, but neither compare to the comfort/ fit/ look/ sound/ ease of use that Apple earbuds offer. Maybe it's just me, but I love them.

18. kb152 macrumors member

your headphones are covered under applecare. 1 year of applecare is included with the purchase of the phone. the next time you blow a speaker, take it to the apple store. they will replace the headphones for free.:)

19. gandalf18 macrumors member

I've been quite happy with Apple's headphones. They seem to be the only ones that me just right. they've been pretty durable - until I throw them in my bag unprotected. Oops.

20. bmh16 macrumors regular

I just got the Sennheiser CX500. God, they're good. A real step up from the CX300 (which is saying something as those were good, but the build quality was poor on the cx300, so i got the cx500s :)). The iPod ones are bad, but look the best i guess :) The cx500 give a proper sound that are better than some stereo systems amazingly.

21. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

But do they replace them only if they're not working?
    Technically, my earphones still worked, I guess -- but they fell apart so much, that they were embarrassing to wear. I suppose I could have still used them, but they just looked super-nasty. :(

22. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I think the iphones (like that?) sound awesome, best sound quality cept for Bose, but they are like 100 bucks.

23. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i never used the headphones that came with the phone. like you said there are so many great headphones out there to choose from.

24. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I have always thought the iPhone/iPod headphones where the best out of them all... the quality and the design are great:D

25. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

wait 6 months.... then u will regret it. 50% of v-modas die after 6 months. i personally know 6 people and theres many reviews i have read online about them including a few on the apple site. i would stay awy from them or make sure u get them from aple so u can return them.