Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barny

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Near London, England
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. Do you think it would be possible/have you seen examples of putting an iPhone housing on an iPod touch? If its possible i think it would be a great idea for people that want to seem like they have an iPhone and also to have something that feels more chunky to use. I havn't tried this myself but i think it would be a fun project if it is possible. What would the limitations be?

Barny :apple:

barny

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Near London, England
I was thinking that the iPhone 3g/3gs housing would be the easiest as its already similar to the ipod touch's but looking like an iPhone 4 would be cool.

:apple:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm sure it would be possible, I don't really see the point, you can just get an iPhone and use it as an iPod touch without paying for service.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I'm sure it would be possible, I don't really see the point, you can just get an iPhone and use it as an iPod touch without paying for service.

Well, iPhones are much more expensive, and there's no 64GB iPhone. So guess if you're crazy about the design...

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
It should be possible especially with the older models. Since the iPt 4G is slightly longer and the screen is glued to the glass that could cause some (I guess still manageable) trouble.

Hi Guys,

it would be a great idea for people that want to seem like they have an iPhone

Barny :apple:

To be honest, i don't understand your motivation. If you care that much what other people might think about you, why don't you buy an iPhone staright away?

It's like buying a fake rollex and walking up and down the street, hoping someone will notice it. Does it really make you feel better?

ghostshadow

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Indianapolis
Technically, I am sure you'd be able to get a mold made up and you could just slide the iPod Touch into it like any regular case. It would have extra material to make the iPod seem like the iPhone. I think it's highly possible. The real kicker is finding someone with the resources to make it happen. Getting molds made costs a poop ton of money, then selling and distributing the goods cost's even more.

barny

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Near London, England
I probably wouldn't do it myself, i was just surprised that no one had bought an iPhone Housing and tried it themselves yet given that there are so many people who want to mod these kidns of devices.

:apple:

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
To be honest, Chinese / Japanese eBay sellers have enough plastic housing cases to cover the world over. I don't see why anyone would want to do a hardcore mod, when neither of the camera electronics would line up (in the current gen Touch), the iPhone is thicker, the Wifi schematics are different, and who knows what else.

Most people take the 'slap-a-case-on-it' mentality. I've personally not heard of someone doing that, but the iPod Touch Software is probably easier to put on an iPhone, instead of putting a physical iPhone on an iPod Touch.

I'd like to see one done though, don't get me wrong. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.