iPhone Insurance Fraud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stella, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not shocked and what sucks worse is that soon the iPhone will be 100% uninsurable thanks to these tools.

4. Ab10la macrumors newbie

It is fraud. However I have been defrauded by the insurance companies in the past and have no love for them. Carry on fellas.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

One of two things with happen if this trend continues, rates will increase or coverage for cell phones will cease.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Two wrongs don't make a right.

7. sravana macrumors regular

Or they will cease to cover phones that mysteriously "die" within X months of the new one coming out.

Oh, and Ab10la? You are a criminal.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So what happened when you tried to sue the companies that defrauded you?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Good luck getting sued or loosing your coverage.

10. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I honestly dont see any insurance company suing anyone just because a phone under their policy breaks after a new model comes out, lets be logical about this.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    People will be greedy. I'm totally not surprised at all.

12. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Sorry guys, this is part of the risk of being an insurance company and insuring things. You could put measures into place to try to prevent this somewhat. But in the end, you're insuring products and sometimes you have to deal with people who are "less than ethical" when it comes to their products that are insured.

13. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

These people, who commit the fraud (or criminal damage?) might tell me which insurance company they use. I never found any phone insurance worth their cost. And who would risk their home insurance premium go up?

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

They cover that risk by raising the price for the insurance for everyone. I also see them changing the policy for the iPhone to be instead of giving you money they replace it with a refurbished one of the same model. That will kill people incentive to "break/Loss" their iPhone because they will not be able to get an upgrade.

15. Ish macrumors 68020

Ish

When you have home or vehicle insurance the rate goes up if you keep making claims as you're perceived to be a greater risk. The same should apply to phone insurance.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad to see.

Good idea.

17. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

+1

Also, did anyone notice the picture below the piece is labelled 'iPhone', but is clearly from the iPad keynote?

18. pauliphone macrumors regular

My iPhone actually did get stolen about 2 months after the 3GS came out. o2 who my insurance is with replaced with the 3G 16Gb which I had before, obviously using surplus stock.

19. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I think this is basically what SquareTrade has done. When my phone fell in the hot tub a few weeks ago, I filed a claim with ST and they told me to take it to the Apple store, pay the $200 for an OOW replacement, send them the receipt and they'd pay that minus the deductable. The phone was a 3GS but had it been an old 3G or something, I wasn't going to be walking out of the store with a brand spanking new 3GS. Pretty ingenious, really. I'm happy because I had a real claim and got a replacement and those trying to commit fraud get what they had to start with.

I wonder if this is why the iPhone is the ONLY phone AT&T won't insure at all? Well, that and the fact that if you try using it on a humid day it gets water damage.

20. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Seems like a fairly solid system. How long before you got your refund check back?

21. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I can't help smiling at the image of someone staring at Apple's home page and their eye beginning to twitch, then their gaze alighting upon a hammer . . .

22. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

However it may be true, and Insurance Company Claiming Fraud how Preposterous.

Boy if I had a nickel for everytime I was defrauded by an Insurance company I would be Rich.

At 17 I had to pay for Car Rental insurance on my policy roughly $200 and so when someone hit my car, I asked for a rental, but their little fine print stated you must be 25 in order to rent a car, so I asked them to cancel it and they told me it was mandatory on my policy...so my mother rented the car and I had to use my mothers, but what crooks

23. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

HUH? Why because he/she said that in their opinion insurance companies brought this on themselves and he/she didn't feel bad for them? What's criminal about that? I'll tell you what- NOT A DARN THING!!! Ab10la didn't say they were gonna try it- just that they couldn't find it in themselves to feel sorry for the insurance companies... Sorry, but I'm not feeling bad for the insurance companies either- nor am I a criminal for it..

24. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

It showed up in paypal a couple days after I sent the receipt.

25. Mischka07 macrumors regular

Don't know where you lived at the time, but I've never seen a policy with mandatory rental coverage; especially one that costs $200. Not calling you a liar, but there're a lot of factors that come into play.

As a rule, it's not in the best interest for insurance companies to lie to you, they have much more to lose than you. On the other hand, it's usually because policyholders are not educated on the coverages they have.