Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Which company are you talking about? I believe both SafeWare and SquareTrade state that the deductible is $50 per claim. (no deductible with ST if the defect is not accidental. I.E. Would be covered by apple's warranty but happened in the second year)

I was thinking about the one AT&T is offering.

Dsr1205

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Breaking it down:

apple: 200$
Safeware: ~100$ + 50$ deductible: $500 coverage so 350$ toward a 700$ replacement out 350$? unless they send you a new phone? I don't understand this **** total coverage
Squaretrade: ~100$ + 50$ deductible: 600$ of coverage, 2 incidents over 2 years, repair, accidental damage no theft
mobileprotect: this one sucks the most not bothering.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the apple 200 bucks is looking not to shabby now. Very simple not complicated.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Breaking it down:

Safeware: ~100$ + 50$ deductible: $500 coverage so 350$ toward a 700$ replacement out 350$? unless they send you a new phone? I don't understand this **** total coverage
Squaretrade: ~100$ + 50$ deductible: 600$ of coverage, 2 incidents over 2 years, repair, accidental damage no theft

Correct me if i'm wrong but the apple 200 bucks is looking not to shabby now. Very simple not complicated.

One minor correction: I believe ST is either 1 maxed out payout (replacement) or until total payout gets maxed out (small incidents) whichever comes first. SafeWare's number of incident is unlimited, MP is 2.

Your SW breakdown needs tax added to the replacement phone cost for most states. The total out of pocket cost for the first total loss will be around shy of $400 give or take based on tax rate.

Another benefit of Apple's out-of-warranty swap is that there is no downtime or claim filing process. Drop by at Apple Store with a Genius Bar reservation and walk out with the replacement phone.

rmastbro

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Squaretrade is $99 and $50 deductible..

Plus an extra $100 if you need to buy a iPhone 32 GB model. They only cover up to $599 and the 32GB is $699 without contract.

So you will be paying $150/$250 total to fully have your 16GB/32GB replaced respectively.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
If you pay Apple the $199 for a replacement, does it extend your AT&T contract?

Good point. I thought I saw that's the case when 3GS came out, but I don't see any indication of that when I go to apple site. That might be a good reason to invest in squaretrade insurance...

Can someone confirm?

darwin223

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
dropped my iphone 4 -- backplate cracked.

should i buy squaretrade insurance right now and file a claim after 30 days to get a replacement? do they send me the whole check for $600 or do i have to mail my phone to them and they will replace it??

luckily i also bought the phone with american express...but their claims process could take up to 30 days(which i already started) to finish.

if you guys have any experience in this, i'd appreciate the help.

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
Breaking it down:

This is the conclusion I came to. It is cheaper to just roll the dice and buy a new one if we break one.

We have two iPhones and to do insurance on both of them is about $160-200 for 2 years.

Assuming the probability is we will not break either phone (which did not happen in our past 2 years) we are out nothing if we are careful.

In the unlikely event even one of us breaks a phone, we are out $200 with Apple or $210-$250 with a warranty (depending on the deal du jour).

In either case, the warranty is more expensive for two phones for one breakage. Given this probably won't happen, I don't see what the purpose of the warranty is.

Also I assume that in a few months repair parts such as backs and screens will be readily available for less than $100 each as is the case for the 3G and 3GS. So even if I kill a screen it is very likely that soon I can buy a replacement back or screen for less than $100 to fix a broken phone. I think right now I can buy a case and a screen for a 3G or 3Gs for around $100-120 and I assume in 6 months or so, the same will be true of the iPhone4.

If I am missing something please let me know (other than theft, which is very unlikely for us).

Gadget Chief

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
}.
I think it is a $125 deductible on the iPhone. I have not look at it completley but I want to assume the iPhone is a class 1 device and class 1 have a $125 deductible. Class 2's have the $50.

The reason people get insurance if for piece of mind.

I think you mean "peace" of mind...

People get insurance to protect themselves against sudden costs. You dont buy car insurance to feel at ease but because if u wreck the car it will be a substantial out of pocket expense.

Now if u meant insurance for phones i hear ya.

gouda272

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010

should i buy squaretrade insurance right now and file a claim after 30 days to get a replacement? do they send me the whole check for $600 or do i have to mail my phone to them and they will replace it??

luckily i also bought the phone with american express...but their claims process could take up to 30 days(which i already started) to finish.

They would fix the crack and not send you 600.00 if they can't fix it then they would send you the 600.00 You probably would have to wait 30 days.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Apple $199 replacement. Easy. Done.

Amen.

ST's max coverage for iPhone is $599 in case of cash payout, right? that means you'll have to pay for the tax. That will bring your total cost of replacement pretty close to Apple's. And of course with Apple, there is no down time. Drop by at store, walk away with new iPhone.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I have the Mobile Protect insurance. Sure it costs me $12 a month, but I'm cool with that MP covers EVERYTHING. Damage, loss, theft, out of warranty, etc. The deductible is $199 regardless of the situation. I have a fear of losing my phone while I'm out DJing so this insurance works out for me perfectly. Different strokes for different folks.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
I have the Mobile Protect insurance. Sure it costs me $12 a month, but I'm cool with that MP covers EVERYTHING. Damage, loss, theft, out of warranty, etc. The deductible is $199 regardless of the situation. I have a fear of losing my phone while I'm out DJing so this insurance works out for me perfectly. Different strokes for different folks.

So basically, you are paying $12 for theft/loss coverage as Apple's out-of-warranty $199 swap covers others. Do you know if you can walk into Apple or AT&T store and get replacement phone on the spot?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
So basically, you are paying $12 for theft/loss coverage as Apple's out-of-warranty $199 swap covers others. Do you know if you can walk into Apple or AT&T store and get replacement phone on the spot?

Will Apple give me a new phone for $199 if I walk in and say I lost my phone at a party last nite? I highly doubt it. Out of warranty is just that you're warranty is up and you physically have the phone. Doesn't cover theft or loss which is my main issue and I've stated that.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Will Apple give me a new phone for $199 if I walk in and say I lost my phone at a party last nite? I highly doubt it. Out of warranty is just that you're warranty is up and you physically have the phone. Doesn't cover theft or loss which is my main issue and I've stated that.

Wait, hold on. I'm not disputing anything with you. I'm wondering if you DO have MP coverage, it integrates with Apple or AT&T replacement process or you'll have to go through regular claiming via MP. (I thought MP is "unofficially AT&T endorsed protection coverage for iPhone.)

If the replacement process is truly replacement (either through MP's claim center or AT&T/Apple direct), not "will give you $599 to buy new phone," then there is no extra cost (other than deductible) to get new phone. Other wise I'm looking at about $50 extra for CA tax.

If it is TRUE replacement, then our choice can be quite simple:

For damages: Apple $199
For damages + theft: Moble Protect $199 + $12/mo.

You know what I mean??

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Good point. I thought I saw that's the case when 3GS came out, but I don't see any indication of that when I go to apple site. That might be a good reason to invest in squaretrade insurance...

Can someone confirm?

Apple $199 replacement. Easy. Done.

Do you guys have links to where it says this on the Apple site? $199 for a refurb if I shatter my iPhone 4 isn't too bad. You just bring it to an Apple store, show them the broken iPhone and they'll sell you a refurb one for $199? Do you keep your broken one (you could probably sell it for like $150-$200 lol)? And all you guys mention 'out of warranty'...can I still do this if I break my iPhone within a year of purchase?

Despacio

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010

Someone posted a very detailed and realistic way of how squaretrade handles claims the other day, and the gist of it was they will do everything they can first to fix your phone before they replace or cut you such a large check.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Do you guys have links to where it says this on the Apple site? $199 for a refurb if I shatter my iPhone 4 isn't too bad. You just bring it to an Apple store, show them the broken iPhone and they'll sell you a refurb one for $199? Do you keep your broken one (you could probably sell it for like $150-$200 lol)? And all you guys mention 'out of warranty'...can I still do this if I break my iPhone within a year of purchase?

Here you go.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

In short, no you can't keep your broken phone. "Swapping" is the idea and that's why they can sell you one for cheap. See details on the page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.