Iphone interface vs Nvidia APX 2500

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I know this is a bit of a reach with the Nvidia being only a prototype but the interface looks incredible.

The guy playing with it obviously does not own an iPhone, considering how clumsy his finger movement is. I would expect it to have the same features as a good PDA. Wireless, bluetooth, camera, high speed data, and what not. It is nice to see the bar going up. This device looks much nicer then the Instinct or Dare. Looks like a camera on the front as well... :)

What do you think from the short video?

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/9030.html

EDIT: I changed the title because initially I thought Nvidia was going to make the phone but it seems they are just promoting the chip that provides excellent capabilities.

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Interface looks nice, but sometimes it can look nice but be quite annoying to use. Also because it has a big screen makes it more attractive compared to other phones I think. Also the customer service of other phone companies will probably not match the iPhone.

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's amazing how good products that don't exist yet can be.

Let's wait to see what actually gets produced first..

4. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I don't know, is that the way you pick all your applications? Or just a extra feature for fun, like that Vista 3D flip book? As it seems like a lot of work and hard on the eyes with things being so tiny and detailed, compared to simple icons, and it wasn't that responsive, despite the guy poor use.

So while it looked slick, but a little overkill on the senses. The iPhone has a more simplistic, polished, efficient, unified look that's more pleasing. But that, trying to identify so many different looking apps with those flashy effects as you scroll mini versions, what a pain. While a prototype, it just looks too busy and tiring on the eye, even if it was a super high-res screen.

But I still hope it comes out and does well, creating some real competition as a unique alternative without being a blatant rip off as many of the other devices so far that have fallen short. So I hope it adds something new, but not just try to copy the iPhone. So I guess I can forgive that complicated prototype. If anyone makes something too close to the iphone, then you might as well get an iPhone. So hopefully all that this thing will have in common is the touch screen.

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I agree, it does not exist yet but you have to admit it does look nice. Watch it come out on some horrible network like Sprint or Tmobile... I don't know what the phone would have to do to get me to switch to either of them. :rolleyes:

6. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Every video that somebody shoots holding a camera with one hand and trying to navigate a touchscreen phone with the other is bound to look like it has poor response.

7. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

A little more info from their website. Very impressive!

* Processor and Memory Subsystem
    o ARM11 MPCore
    o 16/32-bit LP-DDR
    o NAND Flash support
    * HD AVP (High Definition Audio Video Processor)
    o 720p H.264 encode or decode
    o 720p VC-1/WMV9 decode
    o D1 MPEG-4 decode or encode
    o Supports multi-standard audio formats, including AAC, AMR, WMA, and MP3
    o JPEG encode and decode acceleration
    * ULP (Ultra Low Power) GeForce
    o OpenGL ES 2.0
    o D3D Mobile
    o Programmable pixel shader
    o Programmable vertex and lighting
    o Advanced 2D graphics
    * Imaging
    o Up to 12 megapixel camera sensor support
    o Integrated ISP
    o Advanced imaging features
    * Display Subsystem
    o True dual-display support
    o 720p (1280x720) HDMI 1.3 support
    o FWVGA (864x480) LCD and CRT support
    o Composite and S-Video TV output

* The industry's first HD (720p) playback and capture capability for handheld devices.
    * A new ultra-low-power (ULP) GeForce® core that is fully OpenGL ES 2.0 and Microsoft Direct3D® Mobile compliant and the lowest power 3D hardware solution available for acceleration of intuitive 3D user interfaces.
    * NVIDIA nPower™ technology, enabling over 10 hours of high-definition video playback and up to 100 hours of audio—more than four times the audio playback of the latest touch-screen phones.
    * The connectivity and media acceleration technologies required to enable the latest Web 2.0 applications, from effortless web browsing and social networking to GPS and mapping applications.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Cool, we will probably see this in 10 years, when the iPhone is milestones ahead already.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe put it head to head with the Intel MID model they demo'd a while back ;)

Till then, I'd say the Android, Nuvi, Instinct, Bold, Rocco, N96, Touch, Diamond etc are more worthy adversaries. We could be at v3 iPhone by the time Nvidia's efforts get released.

10. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Actually, they mentioned that the APX 2500 as a ipod type device could be released by the end of 2008. Hardly ten years away my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsYFXGKUIpE

11. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Have you heard of delays.... so end of 2008 really means end of 2nd quarter 2018

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/9030.html

In the video the chap says:
    They're willing to build it into a device, if any phone manufacturer wants it.

It's a chip. So Nvidia is touting/proffering this to phone manufacturers. Apple might take them up if they have something decent, but Nvidia has competition. With the Snow Leopard work on GPU usage, I'd expect that the knowledge to use GPU for other uses would come into play not only in Macs, but also in iPhone - after all, iPhone runs a version of OS X.
    Why wouldn't Apple fab their own? PA Semi seems a decent enough start.
    Having seen the youtube video = it makes a lot more sense.

I'd imagine APple will be moving this way soon. Things like the Turbo h.264's chips or their equivalent will get added to devices like iPhones.

13. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Nvidia coming out with a phone is like saying Microsoft is gonna hit it big with windows 7

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You got me mid edit - Having watched the OP's linked youtube video - it's clear it's a chip being sold, and Nvidia made a prototype to show it off. Nvidia didn't seem to be wanting to make the handset themselves, just to get orders for the chip. (I misunderstood the OP's 1st post for a minute or two).

Microsoft might hit it big with Windows 7
    (Though it might be a brick wall, plummeting sales, despair, share price drops etc that it its ;))

The chip's stats are decent:

* HD AVP, 720p H.264 encode or decode
    * ULP (Ultra Low Power) GeForce
    o OpenGL ES 2.0
    o D3D Mobile
    o Programmable pixel shader
    o Programmable vertex and lighting
    o Advanced 2D graphics
    * Imaging
    o Up to 12 megapixel camera sensor support
    o 720p (1280x720) HDMI 1.3 support
    o FWVGA (864x480) LCD and CRT support
    o Composite and S-Video TV output

No need for the Apple mystery cable, when you've got miniHDMI capability in your skyrocket...

I could see Apple either making a rival chip, or buying something like this for v3/v4 iPhone. With Apple's intentions staked to the mast with Snow Leopard, i'd imagine iPhone is heading down that road too.

15. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Not a brick wall a giant LCD display displaying the BSOD

16. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's a chip. I think that's where my confusion lay. It doesn't have to be in an Nvidia prototype, it could be in a Symbian S60, an Android phone, a WM7 phone, or an Apple iPhone if it could play nice with the other chips for the aforementioned devices...

18. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

The OP is probably thinking
    " woo wee the next iPhone killer" ;-)

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Well, from the title of the thread, I initially thought so :p
    It'll either be competition or ammunition, depending on which handset(s) it goes into.

20. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

it will probably go to Palm oh wait are they even still alive

21. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Actually I have had an iPhone since day 1 and love it. It is a fantastic device but I am also very impressed with the capability of this chip.

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Did you know that 82% of concepts are never developed and sold to consumers?

Did you also know that 67% of online statistics are made up?

23. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

By the way how well does your iPhone work in Puerto Rico

24. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Sorry for the comment, just can't stand judging by the cover.

Anyway, the phone works good. AT&T has a couple weird issues here. Every once in the while certain 800 or 888 numbers will not connect. Gives a weird fast busy signal type sound. Only happens when I am here not in the continental US. Other then that the coverage is very good unless out in the middle of the mountains away from a city. They are not selling the iPhone down here unfortunately so I will be out of luck getting the 3G version when it comes out. Going to have to wait till my next business trip back to Atlanta in September... :( Third world countries get the iPhone but we don't.... what a bunch of crap this is. PR even has pretty good 3G coverage. I guess that means I will be one of the few to have the new iPhone in PR. LOL, maybe sell it for 10 grand. ;)

25. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

God luck with the 10K LOL