iPhone International Data Horror Story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PupnTaco, Jul 31, 2007.

1. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

I have a caveat emptor to top them all.

I purchased an iPhone on opening day to use in lieu of a cumbersome laptop while traveling in Ireland and England for two weeks in early July. AT&T promises "easy, affordable, and convenient plans" in their advertising... turns out I got two out of three.

On the way to the airport, I activated the per-use international roaming data plan - the only one offered to me. The rep quoted me $.005 per KB but did not disclose what that would translate to in layman's language (i.e., X amount per e-mail, X amount per web page, etc.). I'm a web developer as part of my career and I couldn't even tell you how many KB the average web page is, no less a text message to my son, an e-mail with a photo to my mother, or a quick check of Google Maps. That's part one of the trap. However, I now pay $40 per month for unlimited data usage on the iPhone, so really -- how much could it be? $100 at the most, right?

Keep reading.

As we know, the iPhone can't be unlocked to use a European provider's SIM card for more reasonable rates while traveling. There's part two of the trap.

To be safe, I went online to My Account at AT&T a couple days into the trip and again a week later and was told "usage data is currently unavailable"... and that's part three. I had no way of knowing specific usage data until I received my bill over the last weekend.

A bill for $3000.

Two weeks of travel with sporadic AT&T EDGE network usage off and on mixed with wifi when available... $3000.

Doing some research, I learned this morning that AT&T offers unlimited international data usage at $70 per month to its Blackberry customers.

Here's my bottom line: I want this same usage plan to be made available to iPhone customers and to be applied retroactively to my account.

Billing phone reps offered me a $400 "courtesy credit" on the $3000 charge if I would agree to sign up for a $300 per year international data plan with a max of 20MB per month. (I'm not planning any international travel for a while anyway, but 20MB would be burned in a day or two of average use - they must be kidding.) I have until August 14th to resolve this or all my family's phones (including my wife's business line) get disconnected. Obviously, there's no way I can pay $3000 for something so egregiously wrong.

I'm sharing this with the media in the hope that the exposure of my story might force AT&T's hand in admitting they have an inadequate solution in place for international iPhone users, that they've discriminated against the iPhone in favor of the Blackberry, that they failed to adequately disclose the exorbitant nature of their rate plan, that they kept me in the dark about my usage specifics until it was too late to modify them, and that by disallowing unlocking to use a European provider's SIM with more reasonable rates, I was trapped without knowing it until that $3000 "gotcha" came knocking at my door.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Just so no one else has to do the math, that's $3000 / $.005 per KB = 600,000 KB, or close to 600 MB. I have no idea how high or low that is; maybe someone else can help out with that.

3. daemontrader macrumors newbie

I feel for you but AT&T is within their rights. You did use the service.

4. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Dollars and cents...

That doesn't make any sense... :D

Are you saying you downloaded 600 MB? By the quote you were given, $.005 x 600,000 KB = $3000.00 !!! :eek: Did they quote you kilobytes KB, or kilobits Kb? Because that makes a difference.

5. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

600MB is pretty darn high.

I used about 100MB for my first month over EDGE. I'm not a real heavy user as I have WIFI a lot, but I'm definitely not a light user. Unless you were using it round the clock, I'd say there is a problem.

PupnTaco, what was your data usage for those two weeks? Is it anywhere close to 600MB? If not, then you were overcharged for the price you were quoted.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

When I was 16 I once had a crazy high bill due to going over my minutes (like 200$, but I was 16, like 10 years ago). I called and customer service allowed me to retroactively select another plan, so I didn't go over my minutes and helped with the cost.

Is there another data plan for phones for international plans? See if they will retroactively apply that to your account.

Good luck.

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

You mean MB....you skipped a unit level.

8. daemontrader macrumors newbie

I think the numbers are incorrect. It would have to be $0.05 (not $0.005) per KB since the pay-per-use in the US is $0.03. It wouldn't make sense if roaming were cheaper. This would equal about 60MB, which is still a lot but I have used 150MB since I purchase my phone.

9. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

no about 600 mb. About .6 gb.

10. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

This makes sense. The question is, were you actually quoted $.005 or did you just have a typo?

If the former is the case, then I'd say you have a shot at not having to pay as much. Otherwise, you're plum out of luck.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Perhaps a dispute with the amount of use, versus the plan, is the way to go. What does your old bill say? If you only used 100 MB, then argue that way, saying there is no way you could have used 600 MB.

Good luck. Again.

12. Noumenon macrumors regular

Your a web developer and you didn't know what $0.005 per KB would mean to a "laymen"? Either the story is bogus or you screwed up. In anycase you still may be able to convince AT&T that you made the mistake in understanding the plan, ....but they did spell it out for you.

13. PupnTaco thread starter macrumors regular

PupnTaco

Wifi was mostly unavailable during the day & about half of the evenings I was there - we were traveling by car first week, walking around London second week.

Usage was typical, but not heavy in my mind anyway - checking e-mails for my business, sending the occasional reply (maybe four or five with photos attached from the iPhone's camera), some web use, some Google Maps, and texting my son & daughter back home.

AT&T's bill says:

MEDIA MAX UNL MNET 45,125KB
    Short Message Service 143KB
    General Packet Radio Service Mobile to Web 141,701KB

AT&T came out with an international iPhone plan after I had left that offers 20MB/month for $25. :lol:

Their web site says:

14. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

That make more sense... there is a blog here, in which Verizon was saying .002 cents when they meant .002 dollars.

15. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Yep corrected that, but not fast enough for you and a couple of other peeps... :eek:

16. PupnTaco thread starter macrumors regular

PupnTaco

That's exactly what the phone rep quoted me: "point oh oh five cents per kay bee."

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I would call ATT and raise some serious hell about this (assuming you already haven't). There is no way they would get $3,000 out of me for some web browsing over seas. I know rules are rules but those are some s**** rules. I would have to get a lawyer or something involved with this.

jon

18. Togroovy macrumors newbie

I call BS

This story is bogus anyways, guys didnt you read? For one, web developer knows exactly how many kb the average email is, web page, etc. You have to for hosting purposes. Second, he sent a lot of emails with pictures he attached using the iphone camera. Now unless he knows something I dont, you cant do that as of yet (as I look through my iphone email settings to be sure). So forget about this lame sob story, just some bs where the guy didn't understand simple math and got a hefty bill and now wants to see if theres a way out. Dont waste anymore breath than i already have, the phone companies are for the most part fair, they shouldn't pay for negligent customers.

19. sdm1130 macrumors newbie

If that's the case, then we all know something you do not.

20. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Go to your photos, tap on the picture you want to open. when it is open, tap on the screen, then tap on the little mail icon on the bottom. address the email and tap send.

21. Togroovy macrumors newbie

learned something new, i stand by my point though

22. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

So quick to file away as false. Go to pictures, select a picture, then on the bottom left there is a button that looks like an arrow. You can email a pic that way.

Why someone would make this up and subsequently post about it is crazy.

Spunds like you have a good case op.

23. Revolutionary macrumors newbie

I do it with mine all the time...:rolleyes:

24. dagger55 macrumors regular

dagger55

This post is bogus anyways, guys didnt you read?

25. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I agree with you on the web developer part though.

I'm a web designer and while I couldn't tell you the exact size of everything, I definitely have a rough idea of how big emails, web pages, etc are.

A rate of $.005/KB is $5/MB for those of you who don't do math. With the iPhone loading full web pages, you will burn through that data pretty quickly. He should have stopped and thought about it a bit after hearing the quote from AT&T.