iPhone is a great at everything except making calls!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfwill23, Jul 27, 2008.

1. wolfwill23 macrumors member

I have a 16gb black and I love it, except for one small thing...I drop about 30% of my calls. Had a Blackberry before and service was quite good. Rarely dropped calls.

But now it seems to happen when I'm on a call and lose 3G coverage - or- when it switches to the EDGE, it drops the call. And then when I get to my house and the wireless kicks in, same thing - it drops the call.

Is this normal? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any ideas on how to fix problem?

Thanks.

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I think it's more to do with network than the phone itself.

3. ocbaud macrumors member

in my house i have major reception issues on 3G. if i turn 3g off and use just edge reception is awesome.

outside my house and everywhere else i go BESIDES inside my house, i get about 2-3 bars of 3G reception, no dropped calls, and up to 1400kbps on speedtests :)

there is for certain an issue with the strength of the 3g receiver in the iphone, and i'm hoping a radio update in the next or another upcoming firmware will fix the issue, as my wifes 3g blackjack 2, my old blackjack 2, and my old tilt all got much better 3g reception in my house.

4. ocbaud macrumors member

i think its a combination of both.

as in most places i get really good 3g reception, but in some areas my iphone gets awful 3g reception(sometimes no service) when other 3g phones are getting 2-3 bars

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Perhaps. I don't have another 3G phone to make comparison.

6. ocbaud macrumors member

just took this

[​IMG]

7. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Ouch, and I thought it was just my area having bad 3G coverage...

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

This gives me hope that an update can fix the reporting of what the signal is. I'm in a blanketed area and get full bars on Edge and zero to 1 with 3G. Something isn't right.

9. ocbaud macrumors member

if i take both phones outside, they both get the same amount of bars.

a software update SHOULD fix the issue.
    on both my old htc 8525 and the 8925(tilt) i flashed different cooked roms and different radio versions on them and with each different radio firmware, the reception changed.

10. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I'm in London at at home I also get practically no bars in 3G, but it still works fine -- so It is difficult to know what the real reception is.

11. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

And extend your battery life substantially at the same time.

12. ocbaud macrumors member

i keep 3g on all the time and use it a lot at work(with full bars) after the first couple of days of having the phone, the battery life is much better and i haven't had any major problems with it. right now i'm happy with the battery life, its much better than my old tilt was

13. a1016neo macrumors regular

a1016neo

Bars are relevant for every phone... Like I said, do not compare bars to bars...

14. steveapp macrumors member

When is 3g not 3g ?

Just a thought, I have a similar device to the Samsung in the pictures, an Asus M530W, along with an iPhone of course....

Now on my Asus it claims 3G but what it actually means is edge - it classes non 3g as the up to 50kbps, 3g as up to 200kbps

T-Mobile has a similar attitude, and allows Web n Walk at up to 200kbps but charges extra for HSDPA which should give up to 1300kbps plus - much like the 3G iPhone.

What Im getting at with this is - are you sure your on the same 3G on both devices, what some define as 3G others say is edge, and this is enough for Video Calls (on the Asus of course, not the iPhone!) which is what a lot of people consider 3g. But of course its not and has different signals as we know, and different power requirements too.

Just a thought.

Stephen

15. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

but do any of you with reception issues drop calls when switching from one network to another? Trying to determine if this is a phone issue or network issue. Thanks

16. cyberone macrumors regular

The iPhone is mainly a multimedia device with an oversized screen.

If having a telephone is your priority, then the iPhone may not be the wisest choice.

Just try one-handed typing while on the go ... You will miss any QWERTY keyboard ...

17. CKtoph macrumors 6502

I actually noticed that as well.

A couple times when I've been in mid-call and the phone switches from 3G to EDGE (or vice-versa), my call gets dropped.

Also, I'm getting poor 3G reception indoors, and if I step just outside, the reception goes up at least 2-3 bars.

And by the way, I live in a major metropolitan area that is supposedly fully covered by AT&T's 3G network.

18. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I haven't noticed a problem so far. I've gotten better service than I expected with the switch. No dropped calls, very clear reception, MUCH better than my friends with non-3G AT&T phones. Then again, 3G is very good here in SoCal.

19. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmmm....So you guys think I should return? It's embarrassing that just when I'm telling people that I have a new iPhone, then the call gets dropped. And it happens EVERY time there is a network switch.

20. FJR macrumors regular

This sounds like a glitch. Picking up Wi-Fi should have no effect whatsoever on making phone calls. I frequently will be on a call and walk in to range of Wi-Fi so that I can better use the internet while on the call to look things up for whoever I am on the call with. No problems.

21. chappy87 macrumors regular

Hey, slightly off topic, but what is the name of the programme that the little guy on your iPhone wallpaper is from? It's been driving me mad for ages!

22. ocbaud macrumors member

Domo Kun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domo-kun

23. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

I called Apple and they said that's not normal. I have an appointment with a Genius tonight. Will report back.

24. downingp macrumors 6502a

Would poor 3G service have anything to do with not receiving all text messages? I receive most of my text messages, but I also miss quite a bit as well.

Thanks.

25. alejovh1 macrumors regular

same here, just one bar and many dropped calls! :mad: