Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Bars are relevant for every phone... Like I said, do not compare bars to bars...

The picture taker should get to the field test menu for both phones, where it shows dB readings versus the bars. If both phones have the same dB reading then the visual representation of that should be adjusted. If not, then there is something wrong.

FJR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Would poor 3G service have anything to do with not receiving all text messages? I receive most of my text messages, but I also miss quite a bit as well.

Thanks.

no. You should eventually get all of your text messages regardless. Even if you have NO reception whatsoever, you should get your text messages as soon as you start getting reception again.

ocbaud

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
The picture taker should get to the field test menu for both phones, where it shows dB readings versus the bars. If both phones have the same dB reading then the visual representation of that should be adjusted. If not, then there is something wrong.

how do you access that on the iphone? i know how to on the blackjack.

i can test it later tonight after work

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I called Apple and they said that's not normal. I have an appointment with a Genius tonight. Will report back.

It will be very interesting to hear what Apple says.

Same thing was happening to me in my office. If I set my iPhone down on my desk, it would grab one bar of 3G service. The second I pick it up in my hand, it loses 3G and switches to EDGE. As a result, every time I pick it up to take a call, it would drop. But I always thought it was normal.

I've since turned 3G off, and I don't drop calls anymore. So basically, I have an iPhone 3G with no 3G. Very frustrating.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
By far, I completely agree that the worst part about the iPhone is its cell phone reception but I blame that much more on AT&T as their coverage HERE has been terrible even before the iPhone came out

wolfwill23

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
how'd you make out at your appointment? Mine does the same thing so I'm wondering if I should swap it out?

I went in to the Apple Store at the Fashion Show Mall tonight and it was a complete zoo! You could not move! But, when I got up to the genius bar, told them what my problem was, the genius seemed perplexed by the situation and then handed me a NEW phone. He then put the old one in a box and put it with a rather large pile of other returned phones.

So, I now have a new phone. Have not tested the reception yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, FYI - I bought my phone last week.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
Hmmmm....So you guys think I should return? It's embarrassing that just when I'm telling people that I have a new iPhone, then the call gets dropped. And it happens EVERY time there is a network switch.

just turn off 3G until you need to use it for data, whats the big deal?

edit: wow, just read your last post. thats kick ass and shows there must have been an issue with them

wolfwill23

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
just turn off 3G until you need to use it for data, whats the big deal?

edit: wow, just read your last post. thats kick ass and shows there must have been an issue with them

I don't want to turn off my 3G. Why did I get a 3G phone? It's a pain in the a**. I hope a software fix addresses this issue in the future.

Yes, Apple returned it with no questions. I honestly didn't even really want another phone so I wasn't pushing for one. I asked if it was a refurb and he said that he doubts it because it's only been out for a bit.

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
The iPhone is mainly a multimedia device with an oversized screen.

If having a telephone is your priority, then the iPhone may not be the wisest choice.

Just try one-handed typing while on the go ... You will miss any QWERTY keyboard ...

Personally I find the iPhone keyboard very nice and type with it pretty easily one or two handed.

Might just be my area, but when I turn on 3G, my bars go up when I'm inside. The reception is much better than my old phone, although that was a pretty cheap one that was past its prime when I got it.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
ok,

in the top left corner of the iPhone it states about -105, and the transmit power under "umts rr info" is listed at -128

on the blackjack 2 it shows this: Rx Ch:662, R: -95

:confused:

So that would mean there is something wrong with the iPhone.

I think it is humorous that people are saying turn the 3G off when you aren't using data. So if you have push mail then when ever there is a push you wont get any phone calls (EDGE goes straight to VVM when connection is active). I don't understand the point of getting the phone if you aren't going to use the 3G portion for both voice and data.

sUGArDawg

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
You'll find people crying the same story at Verizon forums, TMobile forums, Sprint, etc. etc. etc.

Just accept it and realize no service is perfect: your life will be a lot less stressful

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I don't think anyone of us are "crying" about this. I understand cell phone reception is different for everyone everywhere. It is frustrating as all hell to have one bar of 3G, answer a call, lose 3G, switch to EDGE, and drop the call... Every time.

3G was the majoring factor of upgrading from gen 1, and now I'm forced to disable 3G just to use the phone app. Ridiculous.

Is this a hardware issue? Software issue? Or is it normal? If this turns out to be normal, I'll deal with it and move on.

I wish I was a part of the group that is not experiencing this.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007

If having a telephone is your priority, then the iPhone may not be the wisest choice.

Just try one-handed typing while on the go ... You will miss any QWERTY keyboard ...

agree completely.

iphone is not a good one handed device when compared to WM and a dpad.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
You'll find people crying the same story at Verizon forums, TMobile forums, Sprint, etc. etc. etc.

Just accept it and realize no service is perfect: your life will be a lot less stressful

Not so sure about that. I've been using mobile phones on Verizon since they were BellAtlantic Mobile in 1984. OVer the last five years their network rarely dropped calls for me regardless of where I was traveling. ATT has dropped a bunch and I've already been put in embarrassing situations doing that "can you hear me now?" thing.

I've also found that Verizon's EVDO coverage was nearly uniform, but ATT's 3G coverage is hit or miss at best, even in DC which shows full coverage on ATT's online coverage map.

ATT's coverage in DC is several steps below Verizon in voice and data cvoerage.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008

Hmm actually the iphone is much easier to type on that the QWERTY I had on my Moto Q9h when on the go. Because I don't have to pay attention to mistakes I type, the phone fixes them.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
So that would mean there is something wrong with the iPhone.

I think it is humorous that people are saying turn the 3G off when you aren't using data. So if you have push mail then when ever there is a push you wont get any phone calls (EDGE goes straight to VVM when connection is active). I don't understand the point of getting the phone if you aren't going to use the 3G portion for both voice and data.

Push isn't using data while the phone is in push mode, so you will still receive phone calls. Only when you actually initiate a data connection in Edge it will not receive calls.

Had older phones with Edge only and they received push just fine and calls at the same time.

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Northwest DC is where I'm having my problems as well.

Interesting. I get very good 3G reception in NW DC and MD suburbs. The only place where it's sketchy is McLean and that whole Glebe road Chain Bridge area. But I think that has more to do with NIMBY than ATT and Apple. GSM is also pretty weak in that area.

The other day I started a phone call near Gaithersburg on 270, and held the call perfectly into downtown DC. And that's roughly a 20 mile trip. The call was crystal clear, didn't experience the strange garbling that I would get on my 2G iPhone and Blackberry.

overall I'm pretty satisfied with 3G in my area.

Also for people who experience poor 3G coverage indoors, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most of At&T's 3G network on 1900? Doesn't 1900 have poor building penetration compared to 850?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Push isn't using data while the phone is in push mode, so you will still receive phone calls. Only when you actually initiate a data connection in Edge it will not receive calls.

Had older phones with Edge only and they received push just fine and calls at the same time.

Hence the connection active part. Still what is the point of 3G iPhone if you don't use the 3G portion. Is it too much to ask for good reception just like other 3G phones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.