iPhone is Revolutionizing Photography

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darkfox3889, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Darkfox3889 macrumors member

Hi, everyone!

Exciting times are upon us with the announcement of iPhone 4 and all the great new features it offers!

As an avid "iPhone photographer" I am very excited to see the new level of quality the iPhone 4's camera will bring. Personally I think the iPhone will revolutionize, or kill, the consumer camera industry. Already the quality of pictures that iPhones are capable of capturing, and with such convenience, makes owning a point and shoot unnecessary.

With the addition of 720p30 video capture on the iPhone 4, I think it will make people think twice about buying a stand alone consumer camcorder; a market that is already being destroyed by DSLR video.

At this point I feel that the convenience and quality the iPhone camera has to offer is good enough to function as most peoples primary still and video camera.

Please join in sharing your thoughts on the matter! :)

P.S. I've made a nice little site to showcase my iPhone 3GS photography, check it out if you'd like.
    enjoyphoto.tumblr.com
    Hope it brings some happiness to your day :)

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Considering the price of the iPhone, I don't think it alone will decimate the low-end camera industry. Just about every phone comes with a lens these days, but people still use conventional cameras.

Also, no analogue zoom on the iPhone 4 means no complete replacement for my Casio Exilim.

I'm also interested in how the phone's flash compares to my camera's.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Unless the iPhone 4 camera is some major advancement in photography, it's not going to kill anything. I have a 3GS and use it basically as the "I always have it" camera. It's not too bad, but it has no optical zoom.

You also can't convince me that such a tiny camera is going to outperform the $180 Canon I bought earlier this year. That's because it won't. Sure, both are good for just taking a picture and posting it online. But start printing pictures and you'll see the difference. It's also no contest when you're talking about low-light situations. The iPhone 4 camera will probably make it better with a flash, but who knows so far.

As far as a camcorder, it will probably keep a lot of people from buying something like a Flip HD camera. But if you want to record your kid's concert or baseball game, you'll need a "real" camcorder. They can record much longer videos and sit on tripods. They're also going to have much larger storage capacity if you're sane and buy one with a HDD. My parents have a little Sony camcorder with a 30GB HDD. For an SD video camera, that's awesome for long stuff.

For short things and amateur photos, smart phone cameras are pretty good. But don't confuse them with actual cameras.

4. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Still no optical zoom, video stabiliztion, & real flash, 60fps, or 1080p my Aiptek GVS has...

Yeah its a phone, but it does not replace my dedicated camera/video...

I have never had a real good point and shoot, just a decent video camera.

Now always having this awesome of a camera in my pocket, now thats cool!

We used to need a:

Cell phone
    iPod
    TomTom
    Camera/Video camera

now the iPhone is really good at all of those (if you buy the tomtom app)

5. Darkfox3889 thread starter macrumors member

You guys make some good points! I agree, image stabilization and more so, optical zoom would really put the iPhone camera in another league.

I agree that for conventional uses such as printing photos, shooting a graduation, etc. Traditional video camcorders are indeed better suited to the task.

However I feel that this day in age fewer and fewer people are using cameras for those uses. Now almost everything is destined for the web, whether it be sharing photos with family and friends on facebook; or uploading your latest videos you YouTube.

You're right, I don't think many people will go out and buy an iPhone with the intention of replacing their cameras and camcorders. However, going forward people may come to find that the iPhone 4 they already own does everything photo and video wise that they need.

6. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Don't think it will change ANYTHING! Aren't other competitors coming out with 8 and even 12 megapixel cameras?

Nice photos, my favorite picture was the one featuring the Coffee Cup! Impressive work! :eek:

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

you got me thinking, the iPhone will have an accelerometer & a gyro inside of it. This is how my other video cameras image stabilize, instead of regular software to recognize motion, it uses a gyro.

Why cant apple use the gyro to stabilize the video? I assume the only lack is because the gyro does not provide fast enough feedback, its probably on a delay of X ms and its too many to prove effective.

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

What was more interesting to me during the keynote, is that afaik, Apple has been one of the first companies to publicly revolt against the race for megapixels and march towards better pictures...

The megapixel race has just been like the CPU Mhz in the past or 0-60 times of cars...

While they do give a measure of something, they're not really a true representation of what makes something really good.

Cellphone sensors are now getting into the 10-12mpix range ... this is idiotic for the size of the sensor, the quality of the optics etc... and since a much smaller number will still give you enough data to produce a decent print its really necessary

Consider Nikon's best camera they make (D3s) has only about 11!!!

One of the best cameras on a phone was the Sony Ericsson S700 ... was a 3mpix sensor

9. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I'm sure the camera will be an improvement but I doubt it will be anything special, no better than any other capable camera phone. The HTC EVO is also backside illuminated.

10. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Image/video stabilisation was the first thing that crossed my mind as soon as SJ said it has gyro. But seems like the use of gyro from Apple is non existent and has left it up to the developers to be creative with it? Who knows.

11. cornelius1 macrumors member

You are aware there are cameras that do optical image stabilization, right? That's more sophisticated than digital image stabilization. It'll get rid of motion blur better. iPhone 4 doesn't have a physically shifting lens or sensor, so it can't do that, but yeah, it could potentially do digital image stabilization, if the motion sensor is fast enough.

12. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

i think the iPhone camera is great, esp with apps like Hipstamatic. i have a canon dslr, which obviously is what i shoot important events with, but i rarely use my canon point and shoot anymore. i am very excited about the quality of the new camera also. i read it will produce a quality 4x6 print. that's good enough for me as far as mb.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I do not see the iPhone altering the camera landscape to any degree. It will help those that like to take pictures but not lug a camera around.

Point and Shoots and more so DSLRs still take a better picture. Just compare the features, the lenses, the sensor size and you see that the iPhone's camera will be at the bottom of the feature list.

That doesn't mean it won't take a decent picture, but if you want good/excellent pictures, a camera is hard to beat.

14. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I have a business where I take a lot of photos and video is part of it all. I have been taking video with my Blackberry Curve 8320 and it isn't very good at all. It exists but it isn't good. The only reason why I use it is because it's always with me, so I can grab it and (if it doesn't foul up) take the shot or the clip and show it off. I have to be quick about setting up because quite a few of my images involve wildlife or action taking place. I don't get a lot of choice about lighting or angle or any of that stuff.

The Blackberry has sufficed. The video is smeary and not even c grade, but when images are a sideline (albeit and important sideline but yet not the main part of the job) you can be forgiven for lack of brilliance.

However, the iPhone's quality of pictures does raise the bar. Like written communication we get nowadays, we expect things to be typed, looking crisp and good; we expect that images we see on websites are first class too.

In some ways iPhone has made it imperative to get a better way to photograph and video on the run.

15. Darkfox3889 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for the compliment on the photo, Orange! :)

I agree with the earlier post about ditching the megapixel race.

Apple is the only cell company that seems to have realized that so far.

In relation to the gyro providing image stabilization, as someone posted above, the gyro would need to be built into the lens in order to work.

Another interesting topic I would like to bring up, is like megapixels, the race of video resolution is leveling off. Right now since most everyday users are producing their content with the web in mind; I feel 720p is the ideal resolution. A good majority of computer displays don't even show 1080p, and 720p still provides an "HD look" while being easier on internet connections, and offers more practical data sizes.

16. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

The iPhone 4's camera can not and will not f#ck with my Canon Rebel, but you already knew that so we'll both agree that's an absolute no. :)

17. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

It's going to change things for me, that's for sure. I have a 3GS now and I bought it just because I wanted the video. I also have a Flip and a Samsung CL65 that takes HD video and has a GPS chip for geo-tag. It's a great camera but I don't always have it with me like I do my iphone.

I was able to pull out my iphone during this earthquake and shoot video and it was posted on CNN and the local TV stations. It would have been much better if I had my CL65 with me but with the new iphone I won't really need it now.

I don't print any pics and everything I take pics or video of winds up on the web. For me this will do pretty much everything I need for that. I can't wait to get my hands on one. :apple:

18. Darkfox3889 thread starter macrumors member

^ exactly

The fact that you can now have a decent video and still camera on you without having to carry anything but your iPhone is what's so exciting!

Of course this isn't going to encroach on the DSLR market.
    I also own a Canon rebel, but I actually shoot far more often with the 3GS cause it's always with me.

Just a matter of the most practical device for the given situation, and for me, most of the time iPhone makes more sense.

19. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Pull your tongue out my arse. So BlackBerry's don't have 8/5/12MP cameras but their picture quality has improved in the last 12mths as well so their not include?!

You REALLY think Apple is the first for this and video calling right?

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

iPhone 4 will still have the same setbacks as previous versions. Megapixels are nice but it's still about the sensor. optical zoom vs Digital zoom optical wins every time. I like the features on the iPhone 4 but I will still keep my regular camera and it will kill the iPhone 4 it's a Canon G10 very nice point in shoot! still be fun to play with though!

21. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Also, Xenon flash. LED flash from such a tiny light source just doesn't cut muster for low light photography.

There's a reason why every sample iPhone picture Apple put up was taken mid afternoon with the sun directly overhead.

But you're right, it's getting closer and closer to displacing the need for a standalone camera or video camera.

For casual users that don't care about image stabilization, optical zoom, printing the photos, or how the photos look in low light scenarios, it's already there.

22. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Ummm, what? I am a photographer/videographer and this is a hysterical thread title. I wont go into all the technical aspects but I am sorry, a cell phone has a LONG way to go to even match a good point and shoot cameras quality. Biggest reason is the sensor and the lens, two most important things in any camera. No way you are ever going to have Apple produce a better sensor or lens than Canon or Nikon/Sony, ever. No photographer is ever going to pick up an iPhone and go WOW! this is revolutionizing photography! It will be good enough to do what most people will do though, snap pics of friends and take silly videos for Facebook, thats about it.

23. mbell75 macrumors 6502

The next Evo is rumored to have a 12MP camera and shoot full 1080 video at 30fps. That Scorpion coming to Verizon sometime this year is rumored to have something similar too.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

See my bold. That's exactly what most people buy point-and-shoots for.

Cell phones are going hurt the point-shoot market in the very near future.

A lot.

25. Darkfox3889 thread starter macrumors member

Whew people are really getting fired up about this. :rolleyes:

Yes, side by side, same shot, same photographer, a dedicated camera will always beat the iPhone; but that's not the point.

Good photography is all about the person using the camera, and cell phones have finally reached the point that in the right conditions, they can take some pretty impressive shots!

In saying the iPhone is revolutionizing photography, what I'm talking about is the fact that now everyone can have an easy to use, relatively high quality camera, that they can carry everywhere without even thinking about it.

p.s. ^exactly small white car, you get where I'm coming from =)