iPhone/iTouch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jasonbot, Nov 15, 2007.

?

Which do/would you prefer

1. iPod Touch

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. iPhone

38 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Other, please specify

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm torn between the two. Does anyone own both of these products and if so which do you prefer? I know that the ones a phone and all but is that the only advantage that the iPhone has over the iTouch.

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

First off, nice avatar. :)

Secondly, the iPhone is thicker than the iPod touch; some people complain it's too thin. I haven't held it, so I don't know.

Give us more details... do you have a phone, with who, do you mind carrying a phone and an iPod...

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I would presume, but I may be wrong, that since the iPhone has not been released in South Africa it will be an unlocked one?

What are the EDGE or GPRS networks like?

I love my iPhone, and have stopped using my iTouch completely…

4. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My current phone:
    [​IMG]

My friend is going to the US next April so Ill get one through him. It will have to be unlocked but thats not much of a problem right? GPRS coverage here is excellent definately much more GPRS coverage vs. open wifi networks.

Also, if the iPhone ever gets released here would I be able to get it reflashed to work on the standard networks?

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If you are OK with GPRS then I'd say get an iPhone. :D:D:D It is a tad thicker than the iTouch, but wow — what a device!

As to whether you will be able to re-flash and join the Apple approved provider… well, that is an open question… I know here in the UK O2 are refusing to let iPhones bought in the US join… So the South African provider may want their pound of flesh. :eek:

6. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Is it possible to reflash with UK firmware but it's just an option not to?

You never know: http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/default/display_article.aspx?ArticleId=0_2217201

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

8. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Parallel imports?

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yup. Importing goods (on a commercial scale) if the Worldwide distributor/supplier isn't selling them in a specific country (or even if they are, but then undercutting their official price)…

Hope that makes sense… :eek:

10. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I would personally recommend an iPhone. Around the time of the iTouch release, my roomate bought the ipod touch, I bought the iPhone. Here are my observations.

Initially while I had to hack it a bit to activate, I was immediately able to use Mail, Calendar (with ability to add dates), Google Maps, weather, stocks, notes...

Now, things have changed because the iTouch is easily jailbroken and can now run all of these apps.

However, there are still major differences assuming both are jailbroken and running their respective 1.1.1 firmwares. (neither of have us have gone 1.1.2)

The iTouch will NEVER have: Bluetooth, a camera (no pictures or future video recording), physical buttons on the side (which are very convenient to control volume in your pocket/without looking), ability to pause/play/skip songs with the provided headset, microphone (so no VNotes (voice note recorder), or potential future Skype), speakers, and phone capability (even if you don't plan on utilizing this until later). My roommate and I have noticed that he also has less battery life and a slightly poorer quality screen.

However for the same price ($400), he has twice the storage (16gb vs my 8gb) and a smaller device.

You should also note that the iPhone also comes bundled with an external power adapter and dock, which is not included with the Touch. (This alone is about a $50 value)

For me, after making this list, even after the great jailbreaking progress and the extra storage, the iPhone still has better bang for the buck, and future potential because of all the extra hardware.

All in all, I am very happy that I made the decision I did. I hope this helps.

11. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

I own a touch but after having it for about a month, I wish I would have just gotten an iphone. The touch just kind of feels like a bit of a tease. I love the touch but i really want things like bluetooth, camera, side controls, and (of course) a phone.

In short, they are both great devices, but i would prefer to have an iphone.

12. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I don't have either, but for me, getting the iPhone replaces my SE phone and so my daily device count will remain at 2. Well, maybe not...

I use my 4G iPod daily for a couple of podcasts in the car + some tunes at work. I could easily make my weekly needs fit into 8GB with playlists and keep the 60GB for roadtrips and flights. Well, the 4G will be replaced shortly with the Classic 160GB to continue to carry my entire collection of music.

And then the 60GB will probably turn into my FireWire bootable system drive as a backup.

Not that you asked for my entire iPod history....oh yeah, I have a 6GB mini for running as well...

OK - I'm done now. :D

13. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I guess all those extra's on teh iPhone help sell it. Based On what I've read now I don't really see a market for the iTouch since the iPhone is just soooo much better in all respects.

One more thing, how does the real life battery life of the two devices compare?

And while we're going on about iHistory, I have both gen. shuffles, an 1Gen nano, a 3Gen and a 5Gen. I think I want to get rid of a few though as the shuffles and 3G don't get any use anymore. I think Ill use the Touch/iPhone a lot though because of its big screen for watching movies on.

14. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

So, the Touch is for those users who don't want to replace their cell phone. I just wonder when there will be a 16GB iPhone... No time soon I reckon' since they are still rolling out the phone in new markets.

15. transitman macrumors member

What about the carrier issue in the U.S.? Does anyone have any problem switching over to AT&T? With Verizon's IN network, they kinda lock all your friends and family either with you, or away from you!

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The iPhone for me. I'm looking to cut down the number of devices I carry.

17. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Same here, that's my primary driver

18. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Does anyone here use an iTouch AND another cellphone, if so what phone do you use, do you use it for music and video as well?

19. msevild macrumors regular

Well I guess you should decide what would suit your needs. A phone or a keyboard. I mean the iTouch keyboard from Logitech is a very nice keyboard indeed, but I don't think it can compare to the many features of the iPhone.
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-9670510403-iTouch-Keyboard/dp/B00004VUFB
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/

If you have the money the iPhone is the way to go. If you need the phone features that is. You might want to also look at the iPod Touch if you don't need the phone features or the internet everywhere you can get AT&T service.

P.S. Don't mean to be an ass or anything, just couldn't resist it :p

20. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

iPhone for me as well. I love having the ability to be on the Net anywhere there's ATT service. I also needed to replace my aging RAZR, that was a replacement for my original RAZR, that I lost/was stolen. I had a 4th gen iPod 40GB that died on me. All in all, I've messed around with an iPod Touch somewhat, and I don't like it.

21. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I have a Motorola SLVR, and I love the iPhone... but I am going to buy the iPod touch for a few reasons.

1) Higher storage capacity for the same price
    2) Getting the full benefit of the device by paying for the device itself one time, not having to pay for a contract over time... do you really want all of the joy of the iPhone technology chained to the uncertainty a cell phone package?
    3) I don't want to be tempted to have the iPhone everywhere I go and risk damaging it/getting it stolen in a situation where a cheaper cell phone would be less of a liability

That said, someone in front of me in class today had their iPhone sitting on the table... it was SO SLEAK!!! I feel that every time you look at the iPhone from a different angle it's like looking at it for the first time. I usually look at the metal border as a scratch liability, but in person it really is beautiful.

If you buy the iPod touch, you won't be as likely to have all of your money invested in one device that could be lost at any time. Think about all of the places that you'd want/need to have your cell phone. Even if you have a backup phone, chances are that your iPhone will be on you most of the time. There are just some situations in which having your cell phone in your pocket being equal to having $400 (+ plan) in your pocket is unwise. The 16GB iPod touch will give you 95% of the joy of the iPhone and 200% of the storage. When it doesn't make sense to carry $400 in your hand/pocket, you can leave the touch in safe keeping.

22. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well my mom came back from Japan and I got a 16Gb Touch. Ill see how it goes. I'm charging and syncing it now.

23. justit macrumors 6502a

iTouch for me -- free calls

as for now, I can't stand the US AT&T deal so paying an extra $200 for iPhone doesn't make sense.

with my iTouch i use asteridex which then makes a call to my sprint phone (I have the unlimited inbound calls plan $5/mo.) to trigger a call to my phone... free cell calls for me is the higher priority.... I can do without bluetooth and a mic...and who was posting that the iTouch is too thin ....isn't that the idea?!

24. macwannabe77 macrumors member

macwannabe77

I have an iPod Touch and love it, BUT I wish I could get an iPhone. I had just recently replaced my cell phone and couldn't justify buying another right away. I will prob get an iPhone within the 1-2 years when this phone gets older. If you can afford the iPhone (and the plan), or need/don't have a problem with a new phone go for the iPhone!

The ONE drawback to the iPhone (my mother has one) is that the internet is EXTREMELY slow if you are not in range of a wifi, but even with that, if i could afford it, I would have one now. They are awesome.

25. skuzzy macrumors member

I have the 16GB iPod Touch. Only reason why I don't have the iPhone is because it really is not supported down here in SA. It may run on the cell networks with all those cracks and patches doing the rounds, but I really wouldn't want a phone that I would have to modify to make it run. My SE m600i is doing the job just fine right now.

Back to Touch, great little device. Wireless + Youtube is a killer. I just sit at home and watch videos all day. Very thin, I don't think its too thin - a nice kind of thin (if you know what I mean). Don't use the browser so much, maybe just when I am away from a computer.