iPhone joining neighbors MicroCell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYR99, Jul 26, 2010.

1. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

My friend has an iPhone 4 and he told me that his phone will display "M-Cell" up top on the status bar when he is home. He doesn't have a MicroCell at his house so I assume that he his joining his neighbors.

I have a MicroCell at my house and when I set it up I had to authorize specific phone number that would be able to join my MicroCell. How come his iPhone is joining this random MicroCell and how can I stop it from doing so? He is only getting 1 bar on the MicroCell where he used to get 2 or 3 bars on the regular AT&T network. Is there anyway he could stop the iPhone from joining it?

Thanks

2. MicroApple macrumors regular

That is some predicament I can see how that would happen as the MCell has enough range that his iPhone will pick it up but its so far away that the service is terrible from it. I would call AT&T and see if theres anyways to stop it. Otherwise he would have to go talk to his neighbors or get his own MCell.

3. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, it's just weird because when I set up mine, I have to enter the phone number of phones that I want to be able to use the MicroCell. Obviously they didn't authorize his number so I am really confused as to how and why his phone is joining it. Maybe tomorrow I will go to his house and see if my phone will also join this random MicroCell.

4. MicroApple macrumors regular

Probably a way to make it public.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

hmm I have a microcell a house about 1400 sq feet 1/2 acre lot at best. it covers my house but I can barely get a signal next door... and no there is not a option to make it public. the owner registers the numbers he wants on his microcell.

6. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, there is no way to make a MicroCell public. I just tried on mine.
    I asked my friend if maybe his neighbors put his number in just to be nice and he said definitely not, they do not even have his number.

7. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

How well does the MicroCell work for you guys? I was considering getting one as reception can get kind of spotty in my area.

8. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Ive seen m-cell around metro LA areas for the last 12 months... well before it was deployed to consumers. could be att.

9. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You mean that your iPhone was randomly joining MicroCells?

10. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Yes. When I was around Beverly hills/west Hollywood 12 months ago the only coverage I got in a large area was m-cell.

This was long before any consumer deployment.

This was a month or so after the firmware update enabling the technology.