iPhone Just Ate the Incredible for Lunch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XLR8, Jun 7, 2010.

1. XLR8 macrumors regular

I'm not even a fanboy. It's just a phone. But I've been waiting patiently to see what the new iPhone looks like because this will be my first smartphone and I have to live with my choice for two years.

I wanted an Android Incredible and like everything about the phone but I don't like the battery life. Standby time is something like 149 hours.

The new iPhone specs say 300 hours of standby time. How realistic is this? Other than that, the thing looks like it should get er' done. :D

2. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Standby time is how you're judging the phone? REALLY? "Hey let's see how long my phone lasts if I never touch it!" ;)

3. XLR8 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, ya got a point. But then I've never had one before and I travel a lot and I'm not really sure what to expect. I don't talk a lot so that's not a great benchmark...

4. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

LMAO!!!!!

TS have you ever used any iPhone before or the Incredible?

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

So your thread title is like some sensationalist Daily News headline, but your post has nothing to do with it. If standby time is your main criteria you should not get a smart phone. You should get a used Nextel with an auxilliary battery pouch.

I want my click back.

6. XLR8 thread starter macrumors regular

Why is everyone so unpleasant? It was a simple question.

7. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I was just bugging you! No worries!

8. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Few here have a sense of humor, just ignore them. :D

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've never allowed battery life to influence my purchase decision of the two most essential tools I use. A smartphone & laptop. Even though I travel weekly, I've always found an A/C outlet or used my car charger. In addition, I use them heavily. When I find a smartphone or laptop that suits my needs, I'm not about to let battery life influence me. Just my 2 cents... :)

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I played around with the Incredible at the store and the phone itself just felt cheap. The screen looked nice and I could see myself getting used to the android os. However, I'm really impressed with what apple has done with the new iPhone 4. Screen resolution is just WOW, and the phone is soo elegant. And all the hardware upgrades are leaps and bounds compared to my 3G phone. Of course, I can't live without my jailbreak which will make the new iPhone truly "Incredible" to me.

11. shen macrumors 6502

Welcome to Macrumors.... :rolleyes:

I can't say how realistic it is. I find Apple to generally be pretty good but slightly optimistic with battery times. The iPad though gives me better times than Apple claims. The increased battery size and custom chip will likely make this iPhone a very good "milage" battery user. If you are using standby time to judge the phone though, be aware that once you get it, you find that it is far more useful than you thought and it won't "standby" all that often, you will be using it for everything and the kitchen sink.

Still the use times also look very good. If AT&T have good signals in your area/areas you travel to, you will most likely love it. Honestly I have the 1st generation, and my wife the 3rd, and occasional issues with AT&T like the never ending wait for tethering are the only issues I have ever had. They are great phones.

12. Darwing macrumors 6502

LOL I'm sorry man we arn't all unpleasant, I think we all have been anxiously waiting this phone, and when someone new comes in and says something a little , how should I put it.... demeaning to the iphone community shall we say. we feel a little attacked, the iphone isnt just a phone, its a revolution and changing the face of the planet and how we communicate... when you come by and say talk time.. its kind of like saying the first space shuttle has a really cool window... when your missing the entire fact its taking off to space for the first time! LOL

13. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

apple is generally pretty accurate with battery life claims, but your mileage will always vary depending on what you do with it. If you're streaming video over 3g all day with bluetooth/wifi on it's gonna drain the battery. If you're just browsing the web, listening to music maybe playing games a little to kill time it should get you through the day.

14. XLR8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

So do I get any cred here if I say that I own an iMac, a MacBook, and I've had several other models back in the day like a SE/30, Mac Plus... Ci... :)

15. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Welcome to the macrumors family:D

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm glad the iPhone whipped the competition. I was getting sick of hearing my snarky friends make snarky droid comments every time I'd send a text or something on my iPhone. Its amazing how much hate an apple product creates.

17. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

people hate the best :D

18. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The current iPhone has a claimed 277 hours of standby time but most people don't get more than a day of normal use between charges.

19. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Look at what the two phones can do natively side by side and I will think you"ll find you have that backwards :)

20. Chimera-se macrumors member

Does the iPhone 4g eat the EVO too? Just curious, what you all think, as for me this is the first phone to make me take a jealous glance away from the iPhone. Anyone else? Don't get me wrong, iPhone 4g looks sick, but still...

21. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

its totally dependent on the person. When i tried the Evo i felt it was too big for me, but i could see people that would love it. The battery life is also said to be poor on it.

22. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/29/htc-evo-4g/

23. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Whoever wrote that is clearly an idiot. I stopped after the 2nd paragraph. They say

"It’s almost unfathomable how bad the battery is in this thing. Why? Well you might assume it’s the massive 4.3 inch LCD screen. But according to the Battery usage area in the Setting menu on Android, the display is only eating up 5% of my battery on average. Instead, it’s “Cell standby” (again, I have 4G off), “Phone idle,” and “Android system” that eat up over 75% of the life. Am I doing anything odd that makes it drain faster than an average user would? I don’t think so"

Right underneath that is a photo of their Evo with the default clock and weather widget. That widget drains battery because it auto updates the weather every 15 minutes. Not only that, I bet they have other battery draining widgets on one or more of those screens and have no clue. This is what happens when you let clueless people review phones :rolleyes:

24. diabolic macrumors 68000

It's actually a pretty good illustration of fundamental differences in philosophy between iOS and Android. On an iPhone you don't have to "get a clue" and change default settings or remove widgets in order to have good battery life. Some people don't mind tweaking their phones for best performance, some do.

25. XLR8 thread starter macrumors regular

That would be me. I don't have time to dick with a phone. I just want to use it. It's the same philosophy of why I switched from Windows/Linux back to OSX.