Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konz

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
My gf called Verizon this week to cancel her contract and get an iPhone. They always ask why you're canceling and when she told them the Verizon rep said "Well did you know that we have the Blackberry Storm?"

I almost suffocated laughing... and the rep wasn't even referring to the Storm 2 that's expected this month.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
no business sensibility

Most of the people touting "product killer" have zero marketing/sales training, and thus have no clue what kind of products will actually gain decent sized market share.

A few extra pixels and a few more MHz just don't make that much difference for some product categories. And the first company to market with "cool feature" often isn't the one that makes it a profitable and market share success.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
the only "iPhone killer" is another iPhone

/thread

In the current term, I agree with you. HOWEVER, due to the less-than-innovative improvement of the 3GS over the 3G, one has to wonder if Apple has run out of ideas for the next hardware version of the iPhone. At the same time, Nokia's upcoming phone looks pretty killer (not an iPhone killer, but it could possibly be an equal ... (thinking) ... well... minus the iPod, iTunes, and App Store. But it has everything else that the iPhone has. And yes, it has a sweet user interface.

Newest Nokia phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au_uRmoy8Fs
(kinda puts Apple commercials to shame, eh?)

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
It is testament to the Apple way of thinking about form and function, that their first EVER foray into the cellphone market, should immediately trounce the devices of companies who have had handsets in production for many, many years. When did Motorola EVER produce a handset that had wow factor, and HOW long have they been around?. I thought Android was going to give iPhone a run for its money?... that didn't happen, did it!.

I think this is the real key to it. Every time I've bought a mobile phone I've sort of just gone around the key players and generally chosen whatever gave me the most for my money. Then been constantly but vaguely unsatisfied with it until it was time to replace it. I ignored the iPhone for about a year because it seemed overpriced and underpowered and I didn't trust the hype.

When I eventually picked one up I played with it for about 30 minutes, dragged myself out of the shop then whined constantly to my boyfriend about how I wanted one until I eventually did buy one. I was completely blown away by it. I'd never actually liked a mobile phone until the iPhone.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
According to Walt Mossberg, the iPhone's equal might be arriving on October 11 (six days from now).

"Walt Mossberg, the WSJ's top gadget reviewer, provides a full synopsis of the device here, and recommends it as well, calling the device "a worthy competitor to the iPhone"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Review-Sprints-HTC-Hero-Is-paidcontent-3732694335.html?x=0&.v=2

What do you mean "arriving", this has been out in the UK for months!. My friend has one... the same friend who wanted an iPhone. I have another friend who wanted iPhone, but went with HTC touch HD, and progressively regretted being a cheapskate, as a result. The iPhones "equal" has been "imminent" for two years... whatever!.

Competitor?... possibly, but don't ALL these devices compete with iPhone?. Killer?... it's HTC, so it has failed before it has even been released.

Until you have OWNED iPhone, you really don't know what you're missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.