Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone Launched in the UK on O2 Network

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I think after this they are going to sell more touches - buy a touch for a year and then get the 3G iPhone on a cheaper plan.

Comment

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
all that for that bah seen more action on a postage stamp price aint that bad i guess

Comment

fireplace

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
London
deal or no deal?

no deal there. crappy O2, no 3g etc.

I'll get a touch instead and save a whole load of cash - £55 for 'unlimited'?:eek::eek:

Comment

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
An estimated 30% of UK covered by Edge at launch?

That means paying 35quid per month for "unlimited data".
I'd say that the incredibly slow dribble of data through the 2G network is somewhat limited.

I like the device but I will not be paying $70 per month for GPRS.

C.

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The tariffs are awful on a phone that isn't subsidised, and the EDGE coverage pathetic.

For a starting point of £35 per month you should get a damn sight more than 200 txts/mins and "unlimited" data on their 30% coverage network.

Great device, sucky agreement.

Comment

FatGolfer

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Very Weak

Very weak. I think they have underestimated the maturity of the European mobile market by excluding 3G. Most phones are 3G capable and most are free with a contract.

C- must try harder.

Comment

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
Could that announcement have been more lame? Over priced and over inflated.

And by the way, O2's definition of unlimited according to Engadget is no more than "1,400 internet pages per day." Rock on! I'll stick with Orange.

Comment

bentley

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2005
This is a fundamentally flawed deal in th UK where we expect more than this for our phone plans.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my 3G and HDSPA enabled MDA Vario II (HTC TyTN).

Comment

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I'll stomach the EDGE (I don't find 3G on my N95 that amazing in the first place), but somebody please unlock that mother****er and let me use t-mobile.

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Rumors seemed to be correct.
Maybe a bit later than expected...

Wonder when the German & French launch will come (and ofcourse for the rest of us Europeans ;))

Comment

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
seriously considering buying one from teh US as it will first be cheaper, I can get it quicker, and unlock it so I can keep my current (more superior) tariff, which I can add data to, for about the same price as they're asking for the base tariff.

The tariffs are terrible.

Comment

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Only 30% EDGE coverage, and we have to wait until November?

And what on earth is with the daily EDGE usage FUP? 1,400 pages sounds a lot, but I'd bet it's not much in terms of MB's.

I was prepared to get what had been rumoured, but I think the announcement has been a disappointment.

Comment

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors regular
May 10, 2007
Denmark
Pathetic launch. Should have thought they would have learned by now NOT to use the EDGE network. Why can't I buy this phone and use it with what ever company I want to??? Damn, Apple!

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
And what on earth is with the daily EDGE usage FUP? 1,400 pages sounds a lot, but I'd bet it's not much in terms of MB's.
Curious here too. I want to know the limit in megabytes, not averaged web page views. They're probably basing this on plain text websites, wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.