iPhone Messenger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acfusion29, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Blackberry's have BBM, do you think Apple should incorporate a similar feature into the iPhone?

For the people that don't know what BBM is, it's Blackberry Messenger. It allows anyone with a Blackberry to communicate to other Blackberry's by using data.

2. Acronym macrumors 68000

there is speculation that in the next firmware update here will be ichat i personaly have never used ichat and couldnt cvare less if they added it but if a MSN based program was added that would be cool.

i currently use Palringo

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

plenty of messanger clients and an official aim messanger = ichat

4. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I don't think you really understand how it works.

Its basically like texting, except it uses data. You get a notification when you have a new message, and in order to send a message you need the PIN of the person's blackberry.

I think having iChat with AIM wouldn't do it because that would force people to sign up for AIM if you don't have it and a lot of people don't.

It has to be something that either comes with the iPhone and has nothing to do with other companies.

5. The General macrumors 601

I don't think you understand how it works.

How is this different from AIM? Oh, right. The person has to have a Blackberry.

So instead of having to sign up for an AIM account (which EVERYONE I know uses, so they all have an AIM screenname anyway) they have to buy a Blackberry? Oh, that's much more reasonable.

Yeah, AIM. Open the AppStore, install. Done.

6. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

No, the original poster is correct and YOU don't know what you're talking about. What makes BBM so successful on the blackberry is that it is always on and you don't have to worry about whether the person will receiver your message or not. EVERY person with a blackberry has BBM on their phone. You can also see when the message was delivered and read. This is not like iChat at ALL where you have to sign up for screen name and log in whenever you want to use it. BBM is a faster, better (enhanced and more features) version of text messaging that doesn't waste text messages and require an add on to your plan (it's all over a data network) amongst people that have blackberries. An iPhone messenger would be a GREAT idea for Apple to implement into a firmware upgrade.

7. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I know what I'm talking about because I've owned 2 blackberry's, plus I used to sell them all day at my previous job.

I'm in Canada. There is absolutely NO ONE HERE that uses AIM.

In the US, AIM is standard AFAIk, right?

Here in Canada, unfortunately, we have to use stupid MSN.

Thank you.

8. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I only have a few friends with iPhones, but sounds like it could be useful.

9. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Useless...

Best app ever = Beejive on iphone

Instant messaging for/like MSN/icq/aim etc etc even yahoo messenger... with data usage.

http://www.beejive.com/iphone/

10. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yeah, for $15

11. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I guess since everyone here is iPhone crazy, they have never heard of how exactly BBM messenger works, or even what it is.

I'll try to explain it again, and how it's nothing like an instant messaging service (yahoo, msn, aim, icq etc).

Think about it like this, it's like me (iPhone1) sending someone else (iPhone2) a text message, however it uses data. It works exactly like text messaging though, whereas beejive doesn't. You have to be actually IN the program (beejive) in order to send/receive any messages. If your iPhone is off, you will receive this message when you turn it back on. If your iPhone is in standby, you WILL get a notification that you received a new message from ____________. You do not have to be in the program to receive messages, and you don't have to login into your account every time you hit the program, it stays logged if the phone is powered on.

The big plus to this is if your out of the country, you can (in blackberry terms PIN somebody) send someone a message using WiFi instead of being charged 50 cents or whatnot for a text message. You would also be able to send a message to anyone around the world with an iPhone if you have their "code" let's say, absolutely free. If you have cousins in Europe that have iPhone's, then you can text them all day, everyday 24/7 100% free.

This would definitely not be a useless feature.

12. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

So, it's just like text messaging?

13. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

This sounds exactly like your basic push IM, which is a feature Apple is known to be working on with their notification service and was supposed to be released already. In the next OS version, perhaps?

14. The General macrumors 601

Look, what we don't need is ANOTHER chat protocol that is only available to those with iPhones. AIM/MSN/Jabber etc are supported on the iPhone already, and we can talk to people on computers, iPhones, or any phone with MSN/AIM/ICQ clients. An iPhone-only chat protocol is totally pointless. I don't care how many Blackberries you've owned or how important you may think you are. A proprietary iPhone-only chat protocol is NOT something we want or need. If you want something absurd and pointless like that, keep your Blackberry.

It IS just like AIM, etc. The only difference is that the messages show up. That difference will be eliminated once push notification is released. Then with AIM/MSN, you'll will get messages pushed to your phone, just like BBM. Only ... with AIM/MSN you will be able to talk to people who don't have iPhones, or are on their computers. In fact, phones like the T-Mobile G1 and the Sidekick and Windows Mobile phones already have push IM services. They use your data plan too.

15. deadsouls macrumors regular

wow this sounds like the most idiotic idea ever.

oh wow so if this became into existence we wouldnt have to sign up for an account we'd just have it natively on our iphone? big effing deal. instead you just have to have all of your friends get an iphone in order to chat with them. yah ok that makes a *lot* more sense. no thanks.

and you dont HAVE to be "IN" beejive to send/receive messages. beejive keeps you connected after you close the app. of course you'd have to open up beejive to send a message just like you have to open up the sms app to send an sms.

16. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Calm down there, you are starting to think like Steve Jobs.

And by the way op, I would love a native app like this, I actually also started a thread about this. Man, I loved BBM.

17. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Basically

It's really not....

I don't think I'm important, did I say that anywhere in my post?

And you really can't read can you? I said I OWNED, not own, TWO BLACKBERRY'S. I sold them, and I got the iPhone. I'm not going to go back to the blackberry due to personal preference, but I still think this feature would be a great idea and the people that are saying it's useless would start using it (if it were ever to be introduced).

Are you honestly kidding me?!?!?! how dumb can you be.

THIS IS A SECONDARY OPTION TO TEXTING. IT'S NOT MANDATORY TO COMMUNICATE WITH OTHER FRIENDS/PEOPLE THAT HAVE AN IPHONE!

WOW.

And in beejive, yes you do because it doesn't support push yet...

It seems like people that have never used a blackberry are arguing and don't know exactly how BBM works.

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

As a former BB user, I think this is actually a really good idea. I always used my BBM and the people who have never done so and say this is a stupid or pointless idea need to go troll somewhere else.

Obviously it's not stupid and pointless if everybody that has used it is for the idea.

19. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I've never used a Blackberry, much less its messenger, but my sister is a religious Sidekick consumer and I really would not mind AT ALL if we had something like the Sidekick's messenger, which I happen to believe is actually outstandingly great.

20. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

Blackberry Messenger is great. My co-workers and I use it all day to communicate. I even use it to communicate with people overseas and it gets to them just as fast.

It would be great to have a similar feature on the iPhone, but I don't think it's a priority for Apple. They would probably implement iChat first before doing this.

21. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

That's the one thing I miss after the switch from the Blackberry to the iPhone. BBM was amazing. It's always on, built right into the phone and simplistically brilliant.

For those wanting MSN on their phone, Beejive is a pretty much flawless app and well worth the $16.

22. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't really have a use for it, since I get 10,000 texts a month, which is more than enough for me, and the threaded text layout makes it similar to a chat program already, but I wouldn't mind if it was included as a program. There must be some value to it considering how much BB users love BBM

23. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

As a current Blackberry User, this would be a huge draw to the iPhone.

Being able to contact any iPhone user on any carrier instantly, without text messages would be fantastic. Additionally, you can send audio or picture files through the messenger, which is something the iPhone needs to work on.

The main draw of an iM (iPhone Messenger) is the fact that it uses data, and works across all lines instantaneously. You don't have to sign up for an account through any chat protocol, instead you can just use iM.

Need to shoot Todd down in accounting a quick message about your last paper order? Just send him an iM. He'll get it and respond. This doesn't require him to be logged into any chat client, or use any of his text messages. Plus, you can send him a picture of your paper reams if the urge really strikes you.

Of course, this may be more applicable to the Blackberry, where companies frequently provide their employees with a blackberry device.

24. The General macrumors 601

Did you misread the part where I said I don't care how many Blackberries you've had? Must have. Because I don't care how many Blackberries you've had. That's why I said it. I even said it in the past tense "I don't care how many Blackberries you've owned" ...

Yeah, instead you just have to buy a certain phone and pass out your PIN. That's soooo much easier than going to AIM.com and registering a screenname. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.