Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Hi, just got some time to spend on designing iPhone 15 Mini with 1.5mm bezel-less design & dynamic island.

Attachments

• iphone mini.jpg
    iphone mini.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 144

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I know me too. I’d love it as extra. I’m scouring offer up and fb marketplace for steal of a deal

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
As an advocate of the Mini I just have to add to this thread.

I got my 13 Mini last year for €750 with 512GB which was not bad. It now has 95% battery left after 13 months of usage which is fine I suppose. I don't miss my 12, kind of still miss my XS (rounded SS sides, anyone?). I use MagSafe Wallet, have no case and keep MagSafe Battery in my backpack in case of emergency.

To that point, a lot of complaints with small phones are about battery life. I suppose phone usage has gotten very video content heavy which requires both a big battery and ideally a large screen. However I found that YouTube and streaming are not much of a challenge for me. Battery life takes a hit but I never actually get into much trouble.

IMG_2873.jpeg

Lucky you, you get to learn some Dutch!

A typical week for me sees 3+ hours of screen on time and about 3 hours of screen off on work from home days Monday-Wednesday. Rarely do I require more than a full battery, for example the marked Saturday where I used the MagSafe Battery to charge from 10% to 80% at the end of the afternoon and continued into the evening. It is by no means a phone that last longer than 1 day though, always charging at night. And of course mileage may vary but I don't consider myself restricted in the battery department.

Apps that mostly used up my battery during those 10 days: Safari (30%/10 hours), YouTube (17%/8 hours), Disney+ (15%/6,5 hours), Music (14%/35 hours). Not a lot of other significant apps used.

I suppose extra battery life would be a great luxury as would an extra camera and maybe the combination of other "Pro" features on the Pro models. However the cost of weight and size seem too great to me.

An updated Mini could be a great phone for a lot of people when it comes to battery and features. But marketing has been the biggest issue and I'm not sure people would have paid the increase that 14 saw in my market if it weren't for the increased sizes of 14.

Dutch prices at launch:
iPhone 13 Mini €799
iPhone 13 €899

iPhone 14 €999
iPhone 14 Plus €1149

Anyway iPad mini still exists so who knows.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Part of me wants to pick up a 12 Mini off ebay or something strictly to use as a beta testing phone. They can be had for under $300 or so.
I got a new open box Mini 12 on eBay for around $400 with tax and shipping from Canada. It's a great little phone. I wanted it to use a dog walking app that isn't available for the watch and the Pro Max is too large and heavy to carry in my dog treat bag. I love the phone and wanted to add it as a second phone line, but cost was prohibitive on Verizon. I'm considering switching to Xfinity where I could add the phone for about the same price I pay for Verizon now.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’m just hoping for a big movement of people wanting to use their phones less. Probably only then will companies offer small phones again. There are some people already moving to options like the Light Phone or dumb phones (so I hear), but I’m sure at insignificant numbers. And those options are too extreme for me. I still want my phone as capable as possible, just small.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Possible 2023-2024 lineup - iPhone SE 2022, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max

They may or may not keep the iPhone 14 Plus

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
If they release more Mini's I highly doubt they will do it more often the every 3-4 yrs.
So no I don’t believe in a 15 or 16 Mini. We'll see when Apple get at 17 or 18 - you never know?

If they release more Mini's I highly doubt they will do it more often the every 3-4 yrs.
So no I don’t believe in a 15 or 16 Mini. We'll see when Apple get at 17 or 18 - you never know?

Yes, right! By the time the display technology reaches full screen (all notch sensors, face cam goes under the display), we might see a smaller form factor like small screen or flip. Already today ppl are coming from the brick weight Pro Max to standard model or mini. Some % of ppl would prefer small screen to make calls & sms. We should wait and see how ppl will use mobile phones in the next 3 years as Flip & foldable (expandable screen) has entered the market.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I fully agree with the statements many of you have made. The future of the iPhone mini does look bright at the moment.
Still, I enjoy using it every day…and sometimes pause to look at this small but mighty” phone on my desk.

It is beyond powerful and battery life is acceptable for my light use.
When I travel, however, the 13 mini unleashes its power with 2 eSIMs and 1 physical SIM that helps me stay connected and basically ”become a local“ in a matter of seconds by activating the second SIM card.
Would not take a larger phone even if I was given it for free.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Yes, right! By the time the display technology reaches full screen (all notch sensors, face cam goes under the display), we might see a smaller form factor like small screen or flip. Already today ppl are coming from the brick weight Pro Max to standard model or mini. Some % of ppl would prefer small screen to make calls & sms. We should wait and see how ppl will use mobile phones in the next 3 years as Flip & foldable (expandable screen) has entered the market.
I agree with you, and yep, I recall I was writing in a thread about flip-phones replacing the Mini's not long ago. 🤔
I didn’t think of that today - flips will most certainly replace the Mini fairly soon.

Here it is:

If Apple haven’t innovated something just as small as my Mini, or a flip-phone, at the time my Mini will feel old and want to retire, I will buy a Samsung Flip-phone, no doubt. I am NOT buying an iPad Mini sized iPhone, no way.
I actually had Samsung Flips before iPhone 4.

I liked what the video showed 👍🏼

Reactions: badarihp

Shortpay

Suspended
Aug 17, 2023
iPhone mini did not sell well then and likely not sell any better in future.

If each fan were to buy 1 dozen iPhone minis then it may signal to Apple to make a 15 version.

Reactions: one more

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Does anyone remember how Apple did the marketing for the iPhone Mini?

I ask because 1) I don’t remember any advertisements, and 2) quite a few people I’ve talked to weren’t aware of the Mini’s existence, and some of which said they would have liked a smaller iPhone.

Not saying the Mini would have become a hit with proper marketing, but if say it wasn’t advertised as much as the other iPhone models, or not advertised at all, then the sales numbers weren’t an accurate reflection of demand—it would be off to some degree. It would make sense for Apple to advertise their more expensive phones over less expensive.

Which also leads me to wonder about the SE marketing. The SE falls into a similar situation if it wasn’t advertised, except that being the cheapest iPhone one can get would naturally draw attention to it, likely resulting in more sales than the Mini.

Reactions: lpc2 and one more

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

I ask because 1) I don’t remember any advertisements, and 2) quite a few people I’ve talked to weren’t aware of the Mini’s existence, and some of which said they would have liked a smaller iPhone.

Not saying the Mini would have become a hit with proper marketing, but if say it wasn’t advertised as much as the other iPhone models, or not advertised at all, then the sales numbers weren’t an accurate reflection of demand—it would be off to some degree. It would make sense for Apple to advertise their more expensive phones over less expensive.

Which also leads me to wonder about the SE marketing. The SE falls into a similar situation if it wasn’t advertised, except that being the cheapest iPhone one can get would naturally draw attention to it, likely resulting in more sales than the Mini.

We've heard this before. The idea that there wasn't enough advertising is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• Apple had billboards from DC to Dubai.
  • Apple's website had a tagline boldly showing both models ("Big News. Mini News.")
  • Customers had to choose between iPhone 12 and mini at online checkout.
  • Retail stores had all four iPhone 12 models next to each other.
  • Carriers immediately offered deals and discounts for iPhone 12 mini.
  • Everybody from USA Today to NY Times covered the launch and reviewed the devices.

You can always find cave dwellers who weren't aware of the mini. The vast majority of the population simply didn't want it. It's not like the Pro Max received a lot of ads or was launched first. People just wanted it much, much more.

15-W-Cherry-St-Columbus-OH-Primary-Photo-1-Large.jpg

5fd1d9108970b648313347.jpg

1692917127555.png

2023-08-24_15-31-43.jpg

apvc_riser_3.jpg

1692917785425.png

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden

Oh yes, I remember it, and the 13 keynote with joy.

~ 41:10 into the video

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
We've heard this before. The idea that there wasn't enough advertising is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• Apple had billboards from DC to Dubai.
  • Apple's website had a tagline boldly showing both models ("Big News. Mini News.")
  • Customers had to choose between iPhone 12 and mini at online checkout.
  • Retail stores had all four iPhone 12 models next to each other.
  • Carriers immediately offered deals and discounts for iPhone 12 mini.
  • Everybody from USA Today to NY Times covered the launch and reviewed the devices.

You can always find cave dwellers who weren't aware of the mini. The vast majority of the population simply didn't want it. It's not like the Pro Max received a lot of ads or was launched first. People just wanted it much, much more.

View attachment 2250364

View attachment 2250366

View attachment 2250387

View attachment 2250365

View attachment 2250386

View attachment 2250395
Well that’s why it was a question. But thanks for answering. Although I don‘t see anything about TV and online ads. I would think that’s the main way to get visibility these days. As opposed to in the Apple physical store or website which people seem to already have an idea of what they’re getting when they visit those.

Edit- Not sure about Pro Max specifically, but I remember seeing plenty of ads for the bigger iPhones on TV and online, so I question your statement that the Pro Max didn’t receive a lot of ads. But if it didn’t, being the “best of the best” phone would naturally draw a lot of attention to it without the need for ads, as well as being an established model from years past.

Last edited:
Reactions: xpxp2002

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Oh yes, I remember it, and the 13 keynote with joy.

~ 41:10 into the video

Thanks, but I meant marketing in the wider sense, like commercials and such. I don’t know a lot of people, or anyone actually, in my life who watches the keynotes or keeps up with tech reviews.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Well that’s why it was a question. But thanks for answering. Although I don‘t see anything about TV and online ads. I would think that’s the main way to get visibility these days. As opposed to in the Apple physical store or website which people seem to already have an idea of what they’re getting when they visit those.

I'm really not sure how that would work in real life. Apple is the most recognizable brand in the world. Who would buy an iPhone without visiting www.apple.com to learn about price, colors, and availability? Even if they visit a carrier store, the store would offer the iPhone 12 mini as well.

If a customer wants to buy an iPhone, they would have come across info about iPhone 12 mini, either online or in-store.

Reactions: Lioness~
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.