iPhone MMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fireshot91, Aug 7, 2008.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

i got iPhone first gen., i have ONLY 200 SMS, i dont got a MMS plan, what happens when some1 sends me a MMS mssg? will i get charged for it? i got unlimited data

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Here's some news that may suprise you....

The iPhone doesn't support MMS...

Why you ask?

Steve Jobs says so...

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When someone sends you an MMS, you get a text message with a URL, username and password you can go to to view it. It only counts as a text message, you don't pay more for it.

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Oh for petes sake.
    Arn, are you out there? It appears the Forum search feature is still broke....

Unless you block sms you will get dinged $0.10 a msg(txt or mms) with no txt plan in place

5. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

iPhone needs real MMS. Period. When you take a picture with your iPhone, there should be a box that will allow to send via Text Message.

This is one of the biggest downsides of the iPhone for me and it boggles the mind why it's still not available.

6. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

This lacking feature has been around since launch day, Mr. Jobs says MMS is dead and eMail is the way. Either drink the cool-aide and accept that fact or get a device that meets your needs.
    (the above NOT directed @ the quoted poster, but everyone that whines about MMS+iPhone in general)

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sir Mr. Jobs is dead wrong. Everyone I know uses MMS and not e-mail. Using e-mail requires expensive data plans which most people don't have. MMS does not.

8. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

I agree.

Plus I don't have everyone's email address and it's stupid to think we should.

MMS is a standard feature on most phones. It should be on the iPhone as well. I won't stop whining until it is. ;)

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

And yet you still got an iPhone.

Guess Mr. Jobs is right enough to know what sells phones and apparently, it's not MMS.

10. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Lack of MMS is not a show stopping issue, but a minor annoyance.

Someone left the RDF turned up too high. :D

11. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Could MMS be added in a firmware update? Or could an App be made for it?

12. Espo macrumors 6502

it's actually $0.20 a text. I was at an AT&T store Friday, and they told my sis that she will have to pay $0.20 per text and she told me that AT&T raised the price. Idk if this is accurate cuz I pay for a text plan.

13. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

14. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Firmware update: Hopefully...but if Apple hasn't done it by now, they probably won't end up doing it.

App: No, unfortunately.

15. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

when iPhone took over the mobile phone market, people can just email the damn message. then there won't be anymore need for mms text.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

MobileChat app has a MMS feature but it costs $2.99, so you decide if it's worth it.

17. rhs7787 macrumors member

Hmm. I have tried sending multiple MMS messages from my Sprint phone and I don even receive a text. Something wrong?

18. darkflounder macrumors regular

I don't have as much of a problem with not being able to send or receive mms messages on the iPhone (simply because I don't use it that often). My problem lies with the URL and AT&T website you must to go to receive any images or video.

The link you are sent does not have the msg id and password embedded. So, you'd have to click the link, then flip back and forth to memorize the id and password and type them into the web interface (yeah, we don't need cut and paste on the iPhone, sheesh).

When the iPhone first was announced, Steve said a SDK was not necessary. Obviously, we was wrong and changed. If we just complain loud and long enough, we'll get MMS on the iPhone.

Apple is all about the user experience. How can something so common as mms be so completely useless on the iPhone.

19. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

i actually DONT want the MMS on the iPhone...(it saves money when some1 sends a MMS n it comes as a txt), i just need copy/paste n itll be coo!

20. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Whatever... MMS or NO MMS, I love my device. I've had since Gen 1 Back on 6/30 and then the Gen 2 on 7/11 and I guess I have yet to leave the honeymoon stage. Instead of looking at what it lacks, I look at what it does and how great the iPhone does it.

21. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

What about Swirly MMS?? The program was working perfectly for me!! They JUST updated it as well, so now it works like its own MMS inbox and option. I would be pretty mad though if I would have paid $10.00 for a license for their product and then the firmware updates to 2.0 and now they are no-where to be found?!?! Glad I held off on paying for the license!
    I do agree though that MMS would be great.
    -Matt

22. rtztgue macrumors regular

I was just going to ask about swirly. The last I read is that it only works on 1.x not 2.0 or higher. Is this still the case? I also wonder if a big challenge will be on the 3g phones. Will at&t raise a big stink if you add mms to your plan and they know you have a 3g... they might not allow it. anyone run into this?

23. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

AMEN!

Hardly anyone I know has access to email on their phones. And i'm so sick of my Nokia N95 fanboy friends of mine taking the piss when the MMS thing comes up.:rolleyes:

24. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

People looove to post this made up "fact" without proof :rolleyes:

25. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

Not to mention the fact that that website works on flash. I haven't used it in a while, but does it show up? Flash doesn't work on the iPhone. I normally just pull it up on my computer