Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hsleiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Morgantown, WV
How come when I get an email and check it on my mac it doesn't get marked as read on my iPhone and I still have a new message badge? I thought changes were supposed to be pushed to my phone?

gzillaration

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
same for me... i always am thinking i have a new email but then i open it and then the badge deletes

apple is a bit slow with push right now

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
You'll probably have to actually open the Mail application on your iPhone for it to notice it's been read. I usually have to open it, allowing it to connect to the Internet, which will then mark it as read.

hsleiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Morgantown, WV
Definitely, this is very very irritating to me. Also, why no push for my mac? I wonder if Apple will implement push through the exchange support we're getting in Snow Leopard for MobileMe customers... A man can dream lol

hsleiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Morgantown, WV
You'll probably have to actually open the Mail application on your iPhone for it to notice it's been read. I usually have to open it, allowing it to connect to the Internet, which will then mark it as read.

Yeah that's what I have been noticing. I wish it would update automagically

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
How come when I get an email and check it on my mac it doesn't get marked as read on my iPhone and I still have a new message badge? I thought changes were supposed to be pushed to my phone?

It's merely a side effect of the implementation. IMAP IDLE isn't particularly useful in conveying changes to actual messages. Basically it notifies of new messages and that's about it.

You might notice that things are a little more complete with exchange, so it's not a matter of the iPhone itself, just the limited data pushed to the device from MobileMe. As some others have suggested, don't hesitate to provide feedback about this issue, that's the only way apple knows to fix things.

Just... provide it at apple.com/feedback/iphone.html where they might hear it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.