iPhone - Much Needed Features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammy2066, Jul 7, 2009.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

We're using 3rd generation hardware and the 3rd revision of the iPhone OS. Although revolutionary, the iPhone OS still lacks some very basic features that other smartphones have had for years.

Here's what I'd like to see added.

1) <Removed>

2) Ability to delete multiple favorites at the same time. Its appalling that this has not been done yet.

3) Support for special characters like integrals and so on.

4) Ability to change ringtones on the fly and use voice recordings as ringtones.

5) Ability to edit sound files similar to video editing in 3.0.

6) Easier way to transfer files via wi-fi and Bluetooth.

7) Finder for browsing files.

8) Make the iPod app more functional in landscape mode.

9) Native support for themes, add them to the App Store. And please, more backgrounds or an easier way of getting them. (file transfers)

10) Ability to cancel sending messages and texts after pressing "Send". To not be able to do this is very annoying.

11) Delivery receipts for text messages.

12) Text counts for text messages.

13) Ability to backup individual aspects of iPhone like SMS, Messages, Notes in a format that is accessible on your PC or Mac.

14) Better and more accurate total usage statistics, preferably sortable by day, week or month.

That's all for now. Fell free to add to the list.

2. NP3 macrumors regular

You have a nice list going here. This one is already available I believe...click the blue arrow on the right hand side of the recents screen and it displays that information.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

[​IMG][​IMG]

the call list is already done, showing ingoing, outgoing, phone type, time, date and duration of each and every call

4. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whoa, when did this happen? 3.0? My 2G iPhone is still running 2.2.1. I'm gonna upgrade to 3.0 this weekend.

But this is a very welcome change indeed.

:)

5. cherrybomb macrumors regular

cherrybomb

I too would like to have a coverflow option for the videos tab (iPod app), scrolling through all the movies on my phone would be sweet!

The ability to have folder managemnt for your apps I'd like to keep maximum of 3 pages on my iPhone but I can't help but keep insatalling all these apps (they're too damn good)!

The file sharing over bluetooth would also be nice too, hopefully apple would crack and give us this option.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head.

6. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Whoa, update to 3.0 and then re-post your thread!

7. poolish macrumors regular

ah rite, so lets complain about what it doesnt do, before you've even got it...

8. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's a few more:

15) Swipe gestures for the screen for the iPod app. Swiping right plays the next track, swiping up increases volume etc.

16) Built-in lyrics and album art retriever for the iPod app. (I highly doubt if Apple would do this)

17) Adding a functionality to take notes during a call. Useful if you quickly want to jot something down while on a phone call and want to avoid navigating to the Home Screen

18) Spotlight search during calls to quickly find phone numbers and other information.

9. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nobody every mentioned this in any of the reviews or changelogs.

Apart from this though, 3.0 still lacks every other feature I've mentioned.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

15) Swipe gestures for the screen for the iPod app. Swiping right plays the next track, swiping up increases volume etc.

good idea, apple already added this to the remote app for apple tv

16) Built-in lyrics and album art retriever for the iPod app. (I highly doubt if Apple would do this)
    Apple have patents I believe :) but look up lyrical on the app store

11. poolish macrumors regular

yeah i guess, was just funny cos the first one u list is already there.

2) Ability to delete multiple favorites at the same time. Its appalling that this has not been done yet

i dont see how this is appalling, how often do you delete a favourite? let alone multiple favourites..

12. poolish macrumors regular

if you have the lyrics and album art in itunes, it transfers to your ipod.. seeing as you cant add songs to your ipod without itunes why would it need its own function to do this..

13. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

i dont have an iphone and i know that you can do that already... :cool:

ever heard of forums.macrumors.com ??

14. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Depends on what part of the world you're in and for how long. When I'm in the US, I have friends here that are on my favorites list. If I go back home for a month, I have my family members and local friends on the favorites list.

So its been a genuine problem for me, since I go back home every four months.

Its appalling because it is so easy to implement and so very unintuitive on Apple's part for not having done so already.

15. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right, maybe it will be a better feature for iTunes 9. ;)

16. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The sheer volume of posts that I have to go through to get the relevant information on MacRumors makes it a rather frustrating experience for me. :rolleyes:

17. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

and by volume you mean something similar to your thread... right?

18. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Precisely. The difference however is that this is my thread, so I know where to find it. I couldn't care less if someone else had trouble finding it.

The sheer volume of posts here is not a bad thing. It becomes a painful exercise getting relevant information when members make smartass comments, as opposed to contributing constructively to the thread.

Since you've already demonstrated this by not having contributed anything to this topic, I suggest you leave and let the discussion take its intended course.

19. ripkord macrumors 6502

I'd love themes, they have it on OSX to an extent (albeit limited) but I'd love to be able to make my own icons for thinsg and have a different background etc. makes me want to jailbreak!

20. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

And most importantly, sell the damn phones unlocked. :)

21. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

The thread that mentioned that is sticky hahaha.:D;)

22. ripkord macrumors 6502

Heh, then the multi-million dollar exclusivity deal would disappear :)

23. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:eek: ===> :rolleyes: ===> :p

My bad.

24. applecheese macrumors member

I'm holding my legally unlocked iphone right now :)