iPhone my BMW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rayward, Apr 21, 2008.

1. rayward macrumors 65816

I had a 2005 BMW, and had a reasonable experience mating it with my iPhone. The car would download the address book pretty quickly (I have a lot of contacts) and I could scroll through the names on the radio display. It wasn't perfect - the radio display was a pretty tedious way of getting to a contact in the middle of the alphabet and the Bluetooth wouldn't always disconnect from a call - but it worked from the standpoint of being able to make and answer calls hands free, most of the time.

But...I just rolled into a 2008 BMW. Wow! The iPhone interface is amazing! I have the iPod connection for music/podasts, which I can view and select through the iDrive system and even by voice command. That's cool, but it is the phone connection that is what is so incredible!

The display screen is so much better for scrolling through contacts. The sound is exceptionally clear and the connection is strong. It even repeats the signal strength meter in the nav display and also has a phone icon that highlights missed calls and messages. The best part, though, is the voice control. It is amazingly good at plucking a name from the contact list or, if it can't understand me, it gets me close enough that it's just a couple of clicks on the iDrive controller to get the number I want. It's as easy as saying "Communication...Dial Name...<Contact Name>...Yes"!

My only complaint so far is that the "Now Playing" screen shows the artist and track name, but not the album artwork. That would be a nice feature to add, especially as it is a 2/3rds / 1/3rd split screen that allows you to have audio functions on one side and a nav. display on the other.

2. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

save yourself 10 seconds, you don't even need to say "communication"!

just click the button and say "dial/call name mobile/home/work" and you're set!

this is one of my favorite feature on my 08 as well. the iPod interface is sooo great too

3. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

P.S. what voice commands are available for the iPod interface?

4. iphone.luke macrumors member

Grr Rich People, Stuck in a 1991 Cadillac Sedan DeVille.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

6. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

So eh.... anyone wanna help me out with a DIY to retrofit iDrive into my 323i?

FYI basesloaded190... not to be a snob lol:
    beamer/beemer= BMW motorcycle
    Bimmer= BMW automobile

bimmerforums.com would have your arse roasted if they read that :D
    could also have been a Z or an X SAV or a 1 or 6 Series.... God im a nerd....

7. calvy macrumors 65816

Damn, I hadn't seen a reason to trade my 05 3 series in for a newer one, wasn't sure iDrive was worth the trade in hassle. But maybe it is. And I want the angel eyes.

8. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

My 2005 545i does the same thing. It's very nice. I have the ipod connection cord but I keep a separate ipod connected since I can't be bothered to connect my iphone every time I get in the car just for music. The iphone connects via bluetooth and the interface control through idrive is excellent. The only bummer is I have to turn wifi off or the calls are crackly.

9. SixStringAddict macrumors newbie

Yeah my 2006(?) 330 does that too. Really nifty and easy to use. I really hope Apple collaborates with bmw to add more functionality or just help with the idrive os.

10. bredell macrumors regular

Nice to hear that it works in the BMW. Tonight, only three hours from now, I'm picking up my brand new Volvo S80 Executive which has the built-in Bluetooth connection. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the iPhone will work in the car.

11. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Hey .. I don't see that option anywhere on my Honda Civic.

12. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

hey thanks for the heads up. i know it could have been something else, but you see more of the cars than you do the suv's on the road. im trying to convince my dad into the new 1 series because those things are badass

13. carlgo macrumors 68000

Nor my Tundra. It just about made my eyes bleed to read about all the options, but you can buy devices to make this all work in any car.

There is a downside to nice new cars. It costs $100/hr, or more, to get them serviced. Ask about a Mercedes oil change. The dealerships have to pay signing bonuses and relocation allowances to get qualified techs. It is like trying to sign a good player to a team. A great living for those that are so inclined. Especially if they can figure out bluetooth and idrive!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn, now we need to buy an Iphone compatible Car too :D

15. rayward thread starter macrumors 65816

6-Series.

16. rayward thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. Still getting to grips with it, so half the time I start with a request for "Options", and go from there. Just messing around on the way to work this morning, I entered a destination in the nav system. Pretty smooth.

17. rayward thread starter macrumors 65816

iDrive gets a bad rep. in the press, but I have found it simple and reasonably intuitive. I think anyone geekish enough to post on MacForums will have no trouble with the system. They've added 6 "macro" buttons now - actual buttons on the dash - which can be programmed to be anything from a radio preset, to a phone number, to a destination.

I'm having a blast with it.

18. rayward thread starter macrumors 65816

BMW includes all service and maintenance, even brake pads. The only thing you need to pay for are new tires if you smoke the tread off the old ones.

19. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

damn, my favorite bmw. nice ride my friend

20. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I didn't know you could do this, how is it done?

I'm also in the process of fiddling and learning of all the things you can do. It's a blast just like you said and the best part is that I feel super safe using it too. I almost rear ended someone six months ago changing songs on my iphone (it was connected to my X5 through the tape deck) I know, i'm an absolute idiot, but with idrive i constantly have my eyes on the road.

21. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Yup, which is one of the reasons I went with a 2007 Mini Cooper last July. Sultry British babe with a German pedigree. :D

I never figured myself a BMW man (then again, my wife can't figure out how I ended up in a Mini, I've always been a Mustang guy), but I have to say that the new 1-series is oh-so-sweet...

22. SixStringAddict macrumors newbie

Do they still have the two macro buttons on the steering wheel? It would be unnecessary to have 6 programable buttons on the dash and then two on the steering wheel.

23. rayward thread starter macrumors 65816

2 on the wheel + 6 on the dash.

24. rayward thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't got it down pat, but you start off by instructing "New Destination", and go from there. You say the city, then street, then house number. It reads each one back to you and if it's still confused you can spell the city or street.

25. stargurl84 macrumors member

as soon as i scrape together 70 grand I'll have to look into this