iPhone Nano keyboard? See where this is going?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GimmeSlack12, Dec 30, 2008.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Not to beat a dead horse, but the iPhone Nano doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Aside from cutting costs on the iPhone what is the goal here? Is the iPhone really that big, and if made smaller it would kind of cripple the devices usefulness wouldn't it?

The keyboard on the iPhone is probably as small as it can get and yet people really think they'll make a smaller one? Anyone else see this as a pretty dumb idea?

2. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I like the size. Any smaller would cripple the usefullness.

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Why does it have to have a touch screen ?

Are you talking about the rumoured

iPhone Nano
    or a new rumour of
    iPhone Nano Touch

4. cmrunner83 macrumors newbie

I couldn't agree more. I would definitely not be interested in a *nano* iPhone. I love the size of the iPhone and the keyboard size is just big enough for me...

5. jruppert macrumors newbie

Improved keyboard with smaller form

Look, this is just a shot in the dark. I am not connected with anyone, or have any information whatsoever. But,

I realize the BB and the Iphone are 2 different devices, but for me the IPhone is unusable because of the keyboard. I dont really care about the store all that much, becuase I use my ipod classic for that (120gb).

Take the iphone, shrink it, and put a qwerty keyboard on it...... you are about the size of a standard iphone, or BB.

It could be more of an enterprise phone. Our IT group does not want to roll out Iphones.

6. Daveecee macrumors regular

What in the hell... iPhone Nano or iPhone Nano Touch? What? The iPhone implies a touch screen. What is this rubbish?

7. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Huh? There's 2 rumors? Regardless they sound lame. Putting a real keyboard on the existing iPhone size? Or shrink it and put a real keyboard? I just, listen, the point is is that this rumor makes no sense. Why put a real keyboard on it? Apple is selling TONS of iPhones that push the App Store and iTunes music. You cripple the money making features if you remove the full screen.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    There have been touchscreen devices for over a decade with smaller screens. A stylus, or a landscape keyboard, or some new portrait keyboards work just fine on them... especially for the millions of cell users who rarely if ever type in text.

But I agree with the other poster... no one says it would have to use a touchscreen.

Or even use the same apps (if it ran apps at all).

9. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Does it ? , New to me

The iPhone is a phone version of the iPod Touch (touch screen)

The iPhone Nano is a phone version of the Nano (click wheel)

What is this rubbish you are on ?

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I find this is a backwards way of looking at it.

The touch is a phone-less iPhone, not the other way around.

11. Daveecee macrumors regular

Actually, you're wrong. the iPhone was released (January 9, 2007) almost a full pregnancy before the iPod Touch (September 5th, 2007). The iPod Touch is based entirely on the iPhone, which I thought was quite obvious. The iPhone Nano, if anything, would simply be a "smaller" (hence Nano) version of the iPhone.

12. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Ok, I got em the wrong way around, no need to write things in such a patronising tone

If you have evidence of what the iPhone Nano actually is then fair enough, I thought it was all rumour

13. Daveecee macrumors regular

It was not meant to be patronizing. Simply informative.

14. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Last time I checked, the iPod Touch was a non-phone version of the iPhone. iPhone came first, then came the iPod Touch.

Steve Jobs said no buttons. Why go backwards in technology and implement buttons? Doesn't make any sense to me.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

It is all rumour ....

Man, I'm honesty shocked so many apple enthusiasts think Apple is going to release a keypad-toting candy bar phone in the near future.

Boggles the mind, actually.

16. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Not sure if you aimed all this at me, I am not suggesting it has a keyboard

An iPod Nano as it is now, with a basic phone added to it, somehow using the click wheel to select the number to dial, or scroll through address book

This is how I see it IF such a thing happens, and not as a smaller version of the iPhone

17. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Yeah, the touch came months after the introduction of the iphone. the iphone was the original product.

18. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

19. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

I can't wait until this rumor is gone. iPhone nano is a stupid idea, and I'm really tired of reading about it.

20. iFicS macrumors newbie

The iPhone nano might not even have a full keyboard. It could simply employ what other touch screen phones do: a touch keypad (i.e. what a flip phone has but on a touch screen.) why exactly they would make a smaller iPhone I do not now, but it might appeal to people who prefer small phones, or people might like the smaller price tag.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The iPhone wasn't released until ~July 2007, although it was shown off in January.

He said no stylus, and why use up screen space for a physical keyboard. (Ironic, since the virtual keyboard uses up most of the screen.)

He never said "no buttons". The iPhone depends on buttons (Home, volume, ringer, power). Without the physical Home button, it's pretty useless, unlike other touch phones that have program menus always available onscreen.

Rule #1: Never say never when it comes to Jobs and money. That includes CPU choice, Firewire, and touch.

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

How would you txt or add a new contacts with just a scroll wheel?

23. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Just you wait, when the iPhone Nano is released, together with built-in copy/paste functionality, all the full-size-iPhone owners are going to scream.
    :D

24. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

virtual keyboard that you move over

cant be any worse than using a numeric keypad for this

25. metman787 macrumors member

Or they just enable landscape texting for the iphone nano and all will be forgotten. I'm pretty sure an iPhone nano is coming. The writing is all over the walls.

And no, an iPhone nano wouldnt kill the sales of the iPhone they would compliment each other just like the iPod and iPod nano