iPhone nano launch next Tuesday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MikeELL, Sep 28, 2011.

1. MikeELL macrumors regular

I believe that Apple will launch an iPhone nano with the form factor of an iPod nano (if not next Tuesday, then soon). The reason I think this can work is because of what Steve Jobs said at the 2007 original iphone launch that each new "revolutionary user interface" they have created "makes a new device possible".

The nuance/Siri assistant in iOS5 is what I think Apple will refer to as their next "revolutionary user interface", and the iphone nano is the device that is made possible. Voice assistant will be great on iPod Touches and the iPhone 5, but that's not why they're doing it - this will make a device with a tiny touchscreen usable.

When I saw the invite to the event, the 2x2 layout seemed too coincidental to be true. The other thing that is required for a (presumeably) low-memory device like the iPhone nano to work is iCloud, and that is also being launched on Tuesday.

It's still a long shot I know, but I'm hoping I'm right on this one.

Attached Files:

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

You'd have to be straight crazy to think an iPod nano can house a battery big enough to make phone calls ;)

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not enough space to hold a processor, radio, memory, and battery.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

5. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

6. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

unlike everyone else who's just jumping on you calling you an idiot. I'm going to say it's an interesting and well backed up theory, however, I'm also saying a 0% chance of this happening due to the battery/radios and stuff required and also that iphones are known for apps which would not be able to run on such a small screen. However that is a good hypothesis with some good points.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

My Antennagate phone has a great battery, but that doesn't mean the phone works properly.

I think iPhone 5 will be slightly better, yet give Apple another year. Perhaps by then they'll have figured out how to incorporate a proper antenna. That's why I'm not taking any chances.

I'm not about to buy iPhone 5, I will happily wait for iPhone 6. I've been having so much fun with my other phones, the wait will be easy.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I'd want Apple to release an iWatch first, than an iPhone nano.

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea something like the SE Liveview! That thing is just awesome. I wish the iPod Nano would do the same.

10. MikeELL thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks mate. I don't hold out too much hope for it happening this time for all the reasons people have pointed out. I daresay it will happen eventually though.

11. Millionin20s macrumors regular

I want an iPhone shuffle to happen before an iPhone nano. Shake your iPhone and it will randomly decide if it makes a phone call, plays music/other media, or launches an app.

12. MikeELL thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

An iPhone nano *is* an iWatch. Apple is hardly going to go into watch band manufacturing - they'll leave that to the accessory makers as they've been doing with the iPod nano.

Honestly I can see reasons why apple might not do it this time. But it seems that most of you don't think it would be technically possible to do what I'm saying - I think it's difficult, not impossible.

13. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

With the current technology, it's impossible to make a phone as small as the iPod Nano 6G. Heck, some giant phones can't even last a day... :rolleyes:

14. diamornte macrumors regular

Turn by turn voice navigation might be cool, but trying to read a map on that possibly retina mini screen would require glasses.

15. MikeELL thread starter macrumors regular

Considering the other thread you started, I'm surprised at your comment. Do you honestly think there would be no market for a tiny, iCloud-linked iPhone?

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The only question I have is, can I play Angry Birds on this iPhone nano?

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

18. MikeELL thread starter macrumors regular

Wrong paradigm: of course you wouldn't be trying to read a map on that screen. Think of how people currently use iPod nanos (ie the screen isn't on most of the time) then add conversation with an AI assistant to help you make phone calls, dictate messages/emails or have it read you your rss feeds. Most of the time you'd never even look at the screen.

19. LoganT macrumors 68020

I can possibly see the current iPhone being renamed iPhone Nano if an iPhone with a bigger screen is announced.

20. MikeELL thread starter macrumors regular

Lol @ geckotek

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I just laughed for 2 minutes straight, awesome response :cool:

22. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

they would need to make it 80% smaller and have a 400% larger screen.

23. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The earphones cable will be the antenna.
    The AddressBook can be updated via voice command as well as iCloud/iTunes.
    SIM of new gen like in that patent.
    Carrier independent.

However the cheap/nano market loves to text and IM, this might be the real bigger obstacle for something like your image, unless they come up with another interface.

24. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

[​IMG]

25. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

If anything, the iPod nano can serve as a watch with it being a bluetooth speaker. Facetime with it as well. :D