Iphone Nano? Really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cootersgarage6, Dec 21, 2010.

1. cootersgarage6, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

So I have herd these rumors about a "Iphone Nano, Iphone Maxi (or Jumbo), and a Iphone Shuffle"... I don't know about you, but that kind of seems really stupid.. don't you think?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, like many rumors, you need to look at them very skeptically.

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Don't believe those rumors. That's ludacris. And do you really think that Apple would ever use the word "maxi" in one of their product names?

I could see the iPhone getting a 4" screen (even tho I don't think it will), but that's about the extent of that.

4. Los macrumors regular

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

In-house code name for the iPad 2...:p

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The kid who sits next to you in 9th grade doesn't count as a "source."

8. occams razor macrumors regular

iPhone nano. Yeah right. What's next MacBook nano? Steve jobs showing us his small penis?

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

iPhone Nano =

Attached Files:

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Ha, the Maxi iPad.... :D

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

What's so crazy about an iPhone Nano? We had the smaller iPods over the years with scaled back features and prices.

I could see a $99 smaller, scaled-back iPhone. That follows right along with the way Apple usually does things. It's not a stretch at all.

12. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Exactly. We've had many different versions of iPod.

The iPhone is still very young in Apples product line. Its entirely plausible that they will release a scaled back, cheaper version for people.

13. Jestered macrumors 6502

Apple already does this. It's called the previous version of iPhone (iPhone 3GS: $99). If Apple were to actually make a nano iPhone, it would have to be smaller and a lot less functional (not gonna happen) and it would have to beat the previous iPhones price point. Probably @ $79 (again, not gonna happen).

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Why couldn't they release a less functional phone? Combine a dumb phone with an iPod nano. No apps. Don't forget that smartphones are less than 20% of the market. And the phone market is a whole lot bigger than the iPod market.

15. adztaylor macrumors 68000

How exactly do you know it's "not gonna happen"? As I said before the iPhone is still extremely young in Apples product line and no one can say what Apple has in store for the future of the iPhone. Just like no one could say back in 2001 what Apple had in store for the iPod.

16. Jestered macrumors 6502

Because Apple usually isn't interested in making a POS product just so they can say, "Hey, it doesn't cost much". You can't beat a full sized previous version iPhone at the $99 price point. Who would buy a dumb phone over that?

And I forgot where I read it, but smart phones are starting to take over. There won't be many dumb phones around much longer. It's not like it used to be where you had to have a $200+ data plan to have a smart phone. Hell, my iPhone costs me the same as my old dumb phone did a few years before the iPhone came out.

It's just my opinion... I may be wrong.

17. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Well, they used Pad in a product name. Maybe they can make a Maxi-Ipad?

18. Jestered macrumors 6502

How exactly do you know it will? This is all just rumor, speculation and opinion, isn't it?

You can't compare the iPhone with the iPod line. The iPod could change size and shape and all kinds of other factors because in the end, the functionality and main purpose of the device was the same. It played music!

What makes the iPhone so great is it's functionality outside of being just a phone. Dumbing that down is just dumb in my opinion. Again, that's my opinion.

19. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I don't. That was my entire point I made that no one actually knows but I said it is plausible for more models to come out.

Not once did I say anything was for definite. You however said "not gonna happen" seemed like you were so sure of what you were saying so I thought you might know something the rest of us don't.

20. Jestered macrumors 6502

No, it was just my opinion. Everyone knows that only a very fortunate few know what's actually in the pipeline.

The only way I could see a Nano type iPhone is, if in the next generation iPhone, Apple uses the larger screen, like in the HTC Incredible (I think that's what phone it is) and gets rid of the extra space on the sides of the screen, keeping the physical size of the phone the same, or at the most slightly larger. They could then use the current size screen in a new "Nano" phone that also has the extra space on the sides of the screen removed (possibly at the top and bottom too) giving the phone a slightly smaller footprint than the iPhone 4. This would give the smaller footprint and screen (compared to the larger screen in the next gen phone) while keeping the same functionality as what the iPhone 4 has.

21. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

+1
    A $99 iPhone 3GS is more powerful than many computers I've owned.

Sure.
    I remember the $999 StarTac and $599 Razr and the iPhone is thousands of times more useful.

22. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I also heard a rumour that the next iPhone will be able to make something called a "phone call".

23. mstrze macrumors 68000

Then why would anyone buy an iPod Nano when then can buy an older-generation iPod Touch for a similar price?

:rolleyes:

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Jeez, Interface elements do not scale down because your finger size do not scale down. :rolleyes:

The $99 iPhone is called the last generation iPhone. Currently iPhone 3GS.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Near Future = Not gonna happen
    4 plus years from now = Who knows?