Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
hahahah. Ok ok ok. Clearly your broad assumptions about me are true, and the iPhone Nano is coming.

What can I say, I'm just critical of illogical rumors and you, apparently, buy into them. Big deal - just different strokes man.

"Case providers from China" have been wrong before, and there's a possibility that, just maybe, they could potentially be wrong again in the future. Just maybe.

EITHER WAY, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Like Jan or July or something, right?

Certainly these rumors could be wrong. What I and others are pointing out is why it makes sense that Apple would introduce a new 2nd product in their phone line.

I am willing to accept that they might choose not to do this but it flies against all product history at Apple.

What is far more amusing are people with absolutely zero industry or professional experience of any kind pronouncing that it's simply impossible that Apple would do such a thing.

Make such a statement and hilarity naturally ensues.

nelsonHaHa.jpg

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Certainly these rumors could be wrong. What I and others are pointing out is why it makes sense that Apple would introduce a new 2nd product in their phone line.

I am willing to accept that they might choose not to do this but it flies against all product history at Apple.

What is far more amusing are people with absolutely zero industry or professional experience of any kind pronouncing that it's simply impossible that Apple would do such a thing.

Make such a statement and hilarity naturally ensues.
:rolleyes: OK

Well, January will come and go. July will come and go. December will come and go. But there's always a chance you might be right eventually, and you'll still be an engineer, right?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
:rolleyes: OK

Well, January will come and go. July will come and go. December will come and go. But there's always a chance you might be right eventually, and you'll still be an engineer, right?

I guess we'll see, won't we?

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
^ I was going to make another post to argue about the nano rumor, but I changed my mind. Quite frankly it's just so ridiculous that I'm not even going to bother anymore. I suspect that within a short time there will be another thread about this topic (I believe there have been 5 now), and the same argument will ensue where some people argue that there will be a nano and others will argue there won't be. Obviously I'm inclined to agree with the latter prediction, because it's the one that is far more logical. Either way, it's completely pointless to argue... and so I'm done.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I agree with Milani, and I respect and believe jmpage2 as well.

At this point, no one knows for sure. We've thought the topic through, looked at the evidence, talked about various possible scenarios and just generally throughly discussed the issue.

Not much we can do now but wait, I suppose.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I dunno man ... it just seems like an overly complicated solution to a problem that just barely exists. Or at least, a problem that can pretty much be solved with either an iPod Nano, an iPod Touch or an iPhone.

You being either willfully ignorant or simply ignorant of a situation does not mean it does not exist. You can afford an iPhone with a data plan - good for you. And the people who either cannot afford one or do not want to shell out that kind of money? Well, **** them, they don't deserve an Apple product, right?

:rolleyes:

If you're one of those consumers who wants an iPhone Nano, none of the "alternatives" you mention come close to solving it. iPod Nano? iPod Touch? No phone. iPhone? Too expensive.

If you don't think Apple will respond to this market, that's one thing. But pretending the market does not exist just makes you look like an idiot.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
You being either willfully ignorant or simply ignorant of a situation does not mean it does not exist. You can afford an iPhone with a data plan - good for you. And the people who either cannot afford one or do not want to shell out that kind of money? Well, **** them, they don't deserve an Apple product, right?

:rolleyes:

If you're one of those consumers who wants an iPhone Nano, none of the "alternatives" you mention come close to solving it. iPod Nano? iPod Touch? No phone. iPhone? Too expensive.

If you don't think Apple will respond to this market, that's one thing. But pretending the market does not exist just makes you look like an idiot.

Exactly.

Should Lamborghini build a cheap model for poor people? You're making yourself sound more stupid than this thread.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Exactly.

Should Lamborghini build a cheap model for poor people? You're making yourself sound more stupid than this thread.

The difference in this case though is that Apple does make products for "poor" people. I also find it ironic when others immediately classify people who don't purchase a certain product because of price as "poor". I earn more than most people and still consider the price/value proposition of products seriously before plunking down for them. I've wanted a Jura Super Auto Espresso for years (yes years) but seeing as they go from $1500 up to $3000 I have held off until just recently when I was able to pick one up at my local Costco at a massive savings.

They make a budget iPod.

They make a budget laptop.

Etc.

The iPhone is really not very expensive, but the very expensive monthly service does leave it out of reach of many consumers.

I should also point out that no other handset manufacturer produces a single model of handset. They all have a variety of handsets.

RIM, who Apple has repeatedly set its gun sights on in the mobile phone business (their words not mine), has no less than NINE current models.

They have this many models because they understand that different consumers have different needs... one device does not fit all. They want to sell to as many consumers as they can so they market many devices.

I'm not saying I guarantee that Apple will have an iPhone Nano out in the next six months. I'm just saying it's very possible (even likely) based on how Apple has approached the market with their other products.

A lot of the naysayers seem to be using emotion rather than logic in arriving at the conclusion that there will only be a single model of iPhone sold by Apple for the foreseeable future. Just because YOU find the iPhone perfect for your needs and YOU can swallow a $100 a month cell phone bill doesn't mean that the typical consumer has the same priorities.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
What budget laptop does Apple make again? Substitute poor people with concious consumers and the results are still the same. Companies don't automatically bend to the needs of every consumer type. Just as Lamborghini doesn't make budget sports cars, Apple doesn't have a history of making budget electronics. It's ironic you say we (the nay-sayers) are emotional. I don't really care one way or another if Apple releases an iPhone nano as I already have my iPhone. Chances are those people who are predicting a nano are the people who couldn't afford (or didn't want to pay for) the regular iPhone, so chances are you guys would be the "emotional" ones because you want something specific that currently doesn't exist except in your imagination. I really don't care one way or another (except insofar as I'm annoyed by the multiple threads on baseless iPhone update rumors). I'd just like to point out that there is a lot more logical speculation (based on facts, on history, and on common sense) that points in favor of there not being an iPhone nano than the opposite.

tuckerja

macrumors member
Exactly.

We aren't talking about a company that produces high-end products to the super rich. Apple does make iPod shuffles and nanos. They do make a mac mini. You make it sound like apple only produces products for the upper class. Apple's office suite is cheaper than microsoft's. Most of their professional software is cheaper than the PC counterpart. Stop making idiotic metaphors and try to get your mind around the big picture.

tuckerja

macrumors member
What budget laptop does Apple make again? Substitute poor people with concious consumers and the results are still the same. Companies don't automatically bend to the needs of every consumer type. Just as Lamborghini doesn't make budget sports cars, Apple doesn't have a history of making budget electronics. It's ironic you say we (the nay-sayers) are emotional. I don't really care one way or another if Apple releases an iPhone nano as I already have my iPhone. Chances are those people who are predicting a nano are the people who couldn't afford (or didn't want to pay for) the regular iPhone, so chances are you guys would be the "emotional" ones because you want something specific that currently doesn't exist except in your imagination. I really don't care one way or another (except insofar as I'm annoyed by the multiple threads on baseless iPhone update rumors). I'd just like to point out that there is a lot more logical speculation (based on facts, on history, and on common sense) that points in favor of there not being an iPhone nano than the opposite.

You have no idea what your are talking about. We are talking about a device, although a slimmed down version, being innovative. You don't have to come up with something new for it to be innovative. Apple has the ability to redefine what a regular phone can be just as they have done with what a smartphone can be. They did it with all the iPods. They have even done it well throughout time with their computers. The first computer my family had was an apple because it was much more affordable than any "pc" on the market at the time. Besides, for the money, what you get in a laptop is either evenly priced with comparative models made by pc manufacturers or cheaper! No they don't make a $600 laptop, but if they did it would mean using cheaper and more unreliable hardware. Apple is concerned with making rock solid computers. To get a good reliable computer to last as long as mine has you have to pay more.

Besides, if you think this thread is ridiculous then DON'T POST HERE ANYMORE. Its fun to come up with different scenarios for what might happen. You sir are a negative nancy!

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
You have no idea what your are talking about. We are talking about a device, although a slimmed down version, being innovative. You don't have to come up with something new for it to be innovative. Apple has the ability to redefine what a regular phone can be just as they have done with what a smartphone can be. They did it with all the iPods. They have even done it well throughout time with their computers. The first computer my family had was an apple because it was much more affordable than any "pc" on the market at the time. Besides, for the money, what you get in a laptop is either evenly priced with comparative models made by pc manufacturers or cheaper! No they don't make a $600 laptop, but if they did it would mean using cheaper and more unreliable hardware. Apple is concerned with making rock solid computers. To get a good reliable computer to last as long as mine has you have to pay more.

Besides, if you think this thread is ridiculous then DON'T POST HERE ANYMORE. Its fun to come up with different scenarios for what might happen. You sir are a negative nancy!

First off use the multi-quote feature :). Secondly, everyone knows Apple's products are more expensive than its competitors. If you compare an Apple spec notebook to a competitors notebook, the Apple notebook will be more expensive, but people pay those prices because they're attracted to the brand, and arguably the build quality is superior (plus Apple has OS X). That's not a debatable fact. Moreover, Apple does not make low grade stuff (i.e. notebooks or desktops with inferior capabilities). They don't make a low end notebook, nor a low end desktop, so I don't know what on earth you're talking about (and my analogy is a perfect example because Apple just isn't interested in that market, just like Lambo isn't). It makes sense if you actually think.

And yes competitors do make 600 dollar laptops actually (it's actually considered a new category of notebooks, because they're great for email and internet (kind of like the iPhone)), and many people on these forums have been arguing that Apple should invest in a cheap notebook solution (to appeal to a certain market) - but as of yet Apple hasn't done it, and has stated they're not interested in that market. They also have sent a message by suing a company that was selling OS X on cheaper hardware.

And about your "regular" phone, I guess you don't seem to get it. The era of the "regular phone" is dead. The reason Apple made a smart phone was because they recognized that there was a market for people who wanted smart phone capabilities but who didn't want the typical sterile smart phone of yesteryear. Hence the iPhone, a device that regular people can use (people who don't necessarily work in an office), and a phone which is as geared to entertainment as productivity. That's what the iPhone is. It's a smart phone for regular people who don't want just a phone anymore (no one wants just a phone, and those who do are simply out of luck because consumers set trends and the trend is the multipurpose phone - music, email, web browser, and phone). And look what's happened since Apple released the iPhone. Find me a new phone without next-gen internet capabilities. Just try.

I'm afraid you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'll tell you what, come back when you have credible proof of a nano in development, and then we can discuss it. As of now, you're just trying to discredit me as if I'm trying to prove something (I'm not, rather I'm simply pointing out how ridiculous you guys sound).

Look here is perhaps the best proof of all that you won't get a nano. Since the iPhone's release people have complained of lack of copy and paste. Many people send feedback to Apple about it. The magazines all publish articles about it. People make YouTube videos about it. So clearly there is a market that's interested in copy and paste. And moreover, many businesses (which Apple is trying to appeal to in an attempt to undercut Blackberry) don't adopt the iPhone because it simply can't multitask (for lack copy and paste) - even some individuals don't buy it because of lack of copy and paste. Apple knows this. Steve himself obviously knows this. And yet Apple has done nothing about it - and it's a relatively easy fix (simply by firmware update). So clearly they don't really care what you want. That's why I'm going to go out on a limb and say they don't care if you want a cheaper phone either. It's tough love with Apple, and you should know that. So like the other poster said above, it basically is a **** you scenario. You just learn to live with it.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
1. Every other handset manufacturer out there offers more than one model of handset (not just multiple capacities).

2. Every other Apple product category has multiple products.

I think you're off target. Apple will not stick to one model of handset indefinitely. It might even be that they offer a net book with a phone in it, but I think the idea that they will offer only one model of phone for the next year or more rather laughable.

Many of the arguments you make were the same arguments made about why Apple would not bring video to the "inferior" Nano.

What did Steve say when they introduced the first Nano with video last year? "A little video for everyone". That was their tag line. I can see them saying "an iphone for everyone" next and introducing a budget model that has a cheaper service plan with carriers.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
What did Steve say when they introduced the first Nano with video last year? "A little video for everyone". That was their tag line. I can see them saying "an iphone for everyone" next and introducing a budget model that has a cheaper service plan with carriers.

Yah but without a plan like the current iPhone has, a "nano" iPhone would actually cost more because carriers wouldn't subsidize it to the degree that those specific carriers subsidize the current iPhone. The only reason it's so cheap for consumers is because its in the interests of the carrier to make it cost less because they know they'll make back the subsidy with extended contracts (and because those chosen carriers have a monopoly over the phone as well). Without that, the iPhone (or any iPhone) would cost a lot more, even a nano. I understand what you want and why you want it (and why you think it will happen), but there are simply too many factors that exist for a nano iPhone to be made, the least of which is the fact that Apple won't ever make a phone that runs on a different (and backward) network like Verizon (CDMA) (as those networks aren't used by the majority of the world). Therefore the contract price is more or less set by the fact that iPhone is designed to run on next generation networks (like AT&T), which are ubiquitous in Europe and other parts of the world. Since even a nano phone would have internet (and thus require a data plan), the only thing you get with a nano is a screen that is harder to use (because it's smaller). This is one of at least a dozen reasons why I there just won't be a nano iPhone. It's not the same as an iPod or anything else because it's on contract, and Apple isn't the same as other cellular companies, and I don't think it's in the best interest of their business model to make more than one iPhone (especially considering the nature of the App Store).

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Yah but without a plan like the current iPhone has, a "nano" iPhone would actually cost more because carriers wouldn't subsidize it to the degree that those specific carriers subsidize the current iPhone. The only reason it's so cheap for consumers is because its in the interests of the carrier to make it cost less because they know they'll make back the subsidy with extended contracts (and because those chosen carriers have a monopoly over the phone as well). Without that, the iPhone (or any iPhone) would cost a lot more, even a nano. I understand what you want and why you want it (and why you think it will happen), but there are simply too many factors that exist for a nano iPhone to be made, the least of which is the fact that Apple won't ever make a phone that runs on a different (and backward) network like Verizon (CDMA) (as those networks aren't used by the majority of the world). Therefore the contract price is more or less set by the fact that iPhone is designed to run on next generation networks (like AT&T), which are ubiquitous in Europe and other parts of the world. Since even a nano phone would have internet (and thus require a data plan), the only thing you get with a nano is a screen that is harder to use (because it's smaller). This is one of at least a dozen reasons why I there just won't be a nano iPhone. It's not the same as an iPod or anything else because it's on contract, and Apple isn't the same as other cellular companies, and I don't think it's in the best interest of their business model to make more than one iPhone (especially considering the nature of the App Store).

I don't want a Nano iPhone. I'm not in the market for it.

And I think you are mistaken that carriers would not do as deep of a subsidy on the iPhone Nano as they do on the regular iPhone. If it's a super hot phone that's going to get them another 5 million subscribers you better believe they will sell it with a huge subsidy.

LiveForever

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
It's not true that apple don't make products for poor people. Yes they make the shuffle and cheaper laptops but you don't have to look hard to find much cheaper products in the same categouries from other companies.

apple will never compete on price against say basic phones from Nokia or Motorola, That route leads to things as mere commodoties and that eventually leads to not having a company, well not one I will buy stuff from anyway.

These companies are run by marketeers who care little about innovation and will take the product from the cheapest possible source. They outsource their product development to box builders.

I sure for one hope apple don't go this route.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
It's not true that apple don't make products for poor people. Yes they make the shuffle and cheaper laptops but you don't have to look hard to find much cheaper products in the same categouries from other companies.

apple will never compete on price against say basic phones from Nokia or Motorola, That route leads to things as mere commodoties and that eventually leads to not having a company, well not one I will buy stuff from anyway.

These companies are run by marketeers who care little about innovation and will take the product from the cheapest possible source. They outsource their product development to box builders.

I sure for one hope apple don't go this route.

please go back and change all your "don't" to doesn't, that was brutal to read.

LiveForever

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
It feels like that scene from a life of Bryan..fair comment though. I write my posts very quickly.

It's not true that apple does not make products for poor people. Yes they make the shuffle and cheaper laptops but you do not have to look hard to find much cheaper products in the same categouries from other companies.

apple will never compete on price against say basic phones from Nokia or Motorola, That route leads to things as mere commodoties and that eventually leads to not having a company, well not one I will buy from anyway.

I sure for one hope apple do not go this route.

This article by Sir James Dyson (the UK Vacuum cleaner designer) says it all.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/related_reports/business_ideas/article3191051.ece

I too am an engineer in product development so I have first hand experience in all this.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008

It wasn't very long ago the RAZR was selling for $200. Now you can get one free on contract. There is absolutely no reason to think an iPhone Nano would cost more than the iPhone.

As for internet on the iPhone Nano: why would it have, or need, internet? I imagine it would have a mobile browser, like all dumb phones, but a full browser? Probably not. So, no mandatory data plan. Yes, you could get an email or Facebook plan, like you can on some dumb phones today, but no full internet experience.

Likewise, it would not be "harder to use" - or at least, no harder than the iPod Nano is to the Touch. We're not talking about taking an iPhone and shrinking it, we're talking about a Nano-based iPhone.

As for innovation, how about this: buying songs on the go. At a party and here a good song? Visit iTunes on your iPhone Nano, buy the song, and listen to it right away. No need for a data plan - the download cost could be buried in the price of the song (the same way Amazon does purchases on the Kindle).

Actually, that's a feature I could see them eventually including on the regular iPod in the future, too.

FLAMETHROWER13

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
Iv'e been perusing through this entire post, and am new to the forums so this will be my first post. Sorry if I missed anyones post. Imagine the many parent who are currently losing their jobs or have to suffer a significant pay decrease. There kids are probably accustomed to a certain lifestyle at this point. The IPHONE has been on little johnny or sallies wish list for quite some time, but of course thats out of the question now. I am new to the apple forum thing and how apple works as a company and the different parts within the company. However, I can say one thing, even if this iphone nano was just being thought of as a maybe in the apple company. It probably is in the front of the line now. No one can clearly say what will happen in the economic future wit complete certainty, but with the current economic trend, this is the perfect phone for apple to release. This allows Little johnny and sally wishes to come true along with the having somewhat the same exclusivity as the iphone. I would think that the iphone nano would be more in competition with something of a sidekick. Just the thoughts of a 17 year old.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I think the average person who loses their job is not going to tell their kid that they are going to have to have a lesser cell phone.

They are going to tell them that they get no cell phone.

I still think we will see Apple diversify the offerings in their mobile phone space in 2009 and certainly economics might play a role in their decision on what to bring to the market.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
It wasn't very long ago the RAZR was selling for $200. Now you can get one free on contract. There is absolutely no reason to think an iPhone Nano would cost more than the iPhone.

As for internet on the iPhone Nano: why would it have, or need, internet? I imagine it would have a mobile browser, like all dumb phones, but a full browser? Probably not. So, no mandatory data plan. Yes, you could get an email or Facebook plan, like you can on some dumb phones today, but no full internet experience.

Likewise, it would not be "harder to use" - or at least, no harder than the iPod Nano is to the Touch. We're not talking about taking an iPhone and shrinking it, we're talking about a Nano-based iPhone.

As for innovation, how about this: buying songs on the go. At a party and here a good song? Visit iTunes on your iPhone Nano, buy the song, and listen to it right away. No need for a data plan - the download cost could be buried in the price of the song (the same way Amazon does purchases on the Kindle).

Actually, that's a feature I could see them eventually including on the regular iPod in the future, too.

How would there be an adequate iTunes API if the phone has an old and useless WAP browser? If it had an iTunes API it would have Mobile Safari. And you need a data plan to download data. Otherwise each song would cost twice as much (song price plus data used). If there's no data plan requirements then there is no incentive for carriers to subsidize the phone in the first place, and the nano would probably end up costing the same amount (if not more) than a subsidized 3G (which apparently based on what you say would be far more functional). You just don't get it. I'm not sure how many more ways I can explain it to you.

Iv'e been perusing through this entire post, and am new to the forums so this will be my first post. Sorry if I missed anyones post. Imagine the many parent who are currently losing their jobs or have to suffer a significant pay decrease. There kids are probably accustomed to a certain lifestyle at this point. The IPHONE has been on little johnny or sallies wish list for quite some time, but of course thats out of the question now. I am new to the apple forum thing and how apple works as a company and the different parts within the company. However, I can say one thing, even if this iphone nano was just being thought of as a maybe in the apple company. It probably is in the front of the line now. No one can clearly say what will happen in the economic future wit complete certainty, but with the current economic trend, this is the perfect phone for apple to release. This allows Little johnny and sally wishes to come true along with the having somewhat the same exclusivity as the iphone. I would think that the iphone nano would be more in competition with something of a sidekick. Just the thoughts of a 17 year old.

What makes you think that a smaller iPhone would be less expensive than the current iPhone? Have you ever seen inside the iPhone? It's about as small as its ever going to get based on current technologies available. If you're talking about making a device with crippled functionality, then why would people buy it? It's not an iPhone if it doesn't function like an iPhone, so how would anyone justify buying something that comes with the Apple markup if it can't actually do anything? Sorry, but basically from any angle you look at it this rumor is totally ridiculous.

Oh and just for fun I took about 5 minutes to Photoshop this nano screenshot. Just to prove that it's not that hard to make a nano out of 3G pictures.

Attachments

• nano iphone.jpg
    nano iphone.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 545

Mattwood

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
And about your "regular" phone, I guess you don't seem to get it. The era of the "regular phone" is dead.

Please do some research on the Mobile Phone Industry!

The million up on millions of 'cheap' and 'simple' handsets are sold each year more than 'Smart Phones'.

'Smart Phones' have become more popular and are advertised more than before but the cheaper low end handsets still sell more! Nokia/Sony Ericsson/Smasung all sell cheaper handsets as they know a market is there for them and it's HUGE! the pre-pay market is booming again especially due to the current economical conditions.

(work in the Industry and supply handsets world wide!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.